Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question regarding 1968 Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256855)

deepstep19 06-29-2018 10:37 AM

Question regarding 1968 Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan

Just wanting to get some input on this card. In particular the PsA 6 for regular Topps and Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan's are both VCP around 600. However the PSA population for the all regular Topps PSA is 8164 and the Milton Bradley total is 257. Just curious as to why the Milton Bradley is not worth more since apparently it's way more scarce?

rsdill2 06-29-2018 10:50 AM

I'm no expert on the '68 MBs but here's my thoughts:

-PSA only recently began labeling MBs - so for 20 years all 68 Ryan's have been labeled Topps, thus skewing the pop report

-Lots of people don't know / don't care about the MB variation. Simple supply/demand

swarmee 06-29-2018 02:07 PM

Also, people are putting together complete graded 1968 Topps sets; very few are putting together graded Milton Bradley sets.

toppcat 06-29-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1790848)
Also, people are putting together complete graded 1968 Topps sets; very few are putting together graded Milton Bradley sets.

This. MB too is almost a reprint if you think about it.

ALR-bishop 06-29-2018 05:01 PM

I have a set, ungraded. In a way the entire set is sort of a variation, and two MB cards are in fact listed as official variations to the 1968 Topps set. That caused me to get two copies of the Cox and Brinkman yellow name cards, one pair for the MB set and one for the base set, even though all the Brinkman and Cox variations are MB card

Like the 62 green tints I think graders would have a hard time accurately identifying MB cards unless they had a regular version of the card in hand to compare

Zach Wheat 06-29-2018 05:07 PM

I think it has more to do with demand caused by the difficulty in distinguishing between the Topps and MB version.

Z

horzverti 06-30-2018 10:59 AM

For me, the difficulty distinguishing regular issue Topps vs. MB cards is what make MB cards most appealing. I like the 1968 regular set, but I really like the MB set.

MBs are not reprints. They are a special issue which were produced for a game in a close time frame relative to when the regular 1968s were produced/distributed (only months apart). In our hobby, the word reprint has a negative connotation attached to it. The fake 1963 Rose rookies printed in the 1980/90s are reprints. The MB cards are not reprints.

I respect your deep knowledge on everything Topps Dave. We may just have different opinions. I didn’t miss your use of the word “almost” in your post. :)

swarmee 06-30-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1791039)
The fake 1963 Rose rookies printed in the 1980/90s are reprints. The MB cards are not reprints.

Most people would say those are not reprints, as they were not made with the approval of the copyright holder. Therefore, they are counterfeits. Topps does make officially licensed reprints, and there is a distinction to be made. Especially when you're also splitting hairs.
Plus, most MBs are notable due to the white border from the non-baseball cards being next to the burlaps on the printing sheet. So the ones that are easily recognizable due to the white edge are also therefore off-center... ;-)

horzverti 06-30-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1791041)
Most people would say those are not reprints, as they were not made with the approval of the copyright holder. Therefore, they are counterfeits. Topps does make officially licensed reprints, and there is a distinction to be made. Especially when you're also splitting hairs.
Plus, most MBs are notable due to the white border from the non-baseball cards being next to the burlaps on the printing sheet. So the ones that are easily recognizable due to the white edge are also therefore off-center... ;-)

I would lump counterfeit cards in with the reprint designation.

ALR-bishop 06-30-2018 01:41 PM

I agree with Johnís distinction between a reprint and a counterfeit, but personally do not view the MB cards as either. Like the 62 green tints,
produced in a separate print run by possibly a different printer I would classify them as variations.

But I will leave it up to whoever is in charge of the hobby to decide :)