Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cooperstown report and BB card acquisitions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126165)

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 03:53 PM

Enos Slaughter?

Hankphenom 07-30-2010 04:01 PM

Another "only time?"

On the Glory of Their Times audio, Jimmy Austin tells of the time he was playing third base and made a putout at first. "I'll bet that's the only time THAT ever happened!," he exclaims in his Welsh brogue, and he just might be right about that.

White Borders 07-30-2010 04:11 PM

If it was in a World Series, I'd have to say the Phillies Richie Ashburn in 1950. Other teams the Yanks played during DiMaggio's days were St Louis with Harry Walker and Brooklyn with Duke Snider, but neither were speedy.

FrankWakefield 07-30-2010 04:18 PM

Well I'm sitting here in the heat and humidity of Kentucky, just busting to post the center fielder's name... but I won't. Because Ted's the one who told me in the first place. My Dad saw this fellow play, and thought him good enough to be worthy of Hall of Fame consideration. I'm ok with him not being in, but he was as good 'a ballplayer as some who are in. Great question for the board, Ted!!

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 04:25 PM

Wally Berger?

scooter729 07-30-2010 04:26 PM

Dom DiMaggio? Seems to fit the description and hints given so far...

albrshbr 07-30-2010 05:27 PM

Thanks for the post Ted

I went to Cooperstown too last weekend. I've been meaning to post something, but I keep running out of time. Just got back from Cleveland, I was hoping to be in the stands when A-Rod got 600, but it didn't happen. Still, it's always great to be in the stands for any game.

I stopped by the card show and picked up a few T205s for the set I'm working on. Of course, I had to stop and introduce myself to Ted Z.

It's been quite a few years since I've toured the HOF, and it was great, wish I had more time. I never realized MLB experimented with satin jerseys when they first tried night games. I looked at the T206 Wagner, and although all the borders seemed full, the top border had a bit of a diagnol cut to it. It was still really nice though.

One thing I really noticed at both Cooperstown and at the Indians game was the large numbers of kids and 20-somethings. It was nice to see.

I've got quite a bit more to say, but maybe later. As it is, me and my son are planning another trip to Cooperstown in the fall.

Bruce

brickyardkennedy 07-30-2010 05:33 PM

NM

William Todd 07-30-2010 07:18 PM

Cooperstown report

Ist it Al Gionfriddo, Dodgers?

brickyardkennedy 07-30-2010 07:41 PM

Gionfriddo was my first thought, but Frank, who was told the player's name by Ted, says his dad believed the player "good enough to be worthy of Hall of Fame consideration." Even Gionfriddo's staunchest fans wouldn't go that far. :)