Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bonds avoids prison (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145003)

Runscott 12-16-2011 01:14 PM

Bonds avoids prison

Does this set a bad precedent? To me it's a message from the courts that they just don't really give a shlt. But maybe that's good?

The New York Times
Friday, December 16, 2011 -- 2:47 PM EST
-----

Barry Bonds Avoids Prison Time for Giving Evasive Testimony

Barry Bonds, baseball’s home run champion, avoided a prison term Friday when Judge Susan Illston sentenced him to 30 days of house arrest, 2 years of probation, 250 hours of community service with youth groups and a $4,000 fine for providing evasive testimony to a federal grand jury eight years ago.

Bonds’s lawyer told the judge that there would be an appeal and that Bonds would not admit guilt.

Bonds was convicted April 13 by a jury that listened to three weeks of often-graphic testimony about his suspected use of performance-enhancing drugs. It found him guilty on one of the four counts in the case, agreeing that he had obstructed justice by giving evasive answers to a grand jury in 2003 when asked if his former personal trainer Greg Anderson had ever injected him.

barrysloate 12-16-2011 03:33 PM

30 days of house arrest= he lives in a mansion

$4000 fine= parking ticket

HRBAKER 12-17-2011 12:14 PM

IMO few people care at all by now and even fewer consider him the All-Time HR King.

bcbgcbrcb 12-18-2011 04:54 AM

You're right, Jeff, that's where he is paying the most significant penalty........

ChiefBenderForever 12-18-2011 08:54 AM

Again, why are athletes held to higher standards than the elected officials who run the country ? All they do is lie, cheat, and steal, then lie, cheat, and steal some more on and on and on, why are athletes or anyone else expected to be any different ( other than the threat of arrest or prison ? )

Let baseball deal with this mess, not the idiots who are in office.

novakjr 12-18-2011 09:55 AM

I believe that I've heard that it cost somewhere around 75 million to investigate and prosecute this. If that's honestly the case, then Barry Bonds is the least of our worries in all of this mess. Now, I'm not intending to go all political here. But really? 75 million, just to find out if someone lied(or was evasive) about putting a needle in their a$$? Someone needs to be held accountable for that complete and total waste of taxpayer money.. It's completely inexcusable..

drc 12-18-2011 12:16 PM

alanu 12-18-2011 08:54 PM

I bet Greg Anderson really wants to see another trial so he can spend some more time in jail for contempt of court.

SHOELESSJOE3 12-22-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 948263)
You're right, Jeff, that's where he is paying the most significant penalty........

Correct, that was my line of thinking, before, during and after the trial. His real penalty is in the world of baseball. No matter what the outcome of the trial his legacy and his place on the list of all time greats, in doubt.
Doubtful, very doubtful that he was unaware of what he was using.
In the court of law, he made out Ok, but some of his numbers will always be in doubt, he made a bad choice.