Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What would you do? - poll (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123475)

Leon 05-06-2010 04:34 PM

What would you do? - poll

So here is the question.

Say you run a lively chatboard for pre-war vintage baseball cards. It's going nicely and for the most part folks are happy with the way it's going. However, there is one person that you just can't stand, adds very little real value to the board, acts like an a-hole most of the times and is always biting at your feet. Some of the remarks are just insinuations but it's obvious they are pointed at you. What would you do?

Chicago206 05-06-2010 04:47 PM

Ut oh....should I put my head between my legs and kiss my @@@ goodbye?:(

ullmandds 05-06-2010 04:48 PM

maybe a board vote would be democratic?

Leon 05-06-2010 04:52 PM

Chicago

Chicago- I assure you it's not you, I won't say who it is.

I don't want to have a person named on this poll. There have only been a few people banned and they were way over the top. Those decisions were sort of easy. This one is a bit tougher. Suffice it to say I would be happier but the goal of the board is not to make me happy.

deadballera 05-06-2010 04:58 PM

I think having a poll is a great way to solicit input from posters.

Tcards-Please 05-06-2010 04:58 PM

I voted give them a warning, then ban them if they don't quit. If the person doesn't bring any real value to the board, then they probably won't be missed.

r/
Frank

T206DK 05-06-2010 04:59 PM

personal jabs at the forum owner should not be tolerated, whether they are insinuations or not. Most of us can read between the lines here and I think most of us are adults too. If the infringing party knows what he is doing he should just be banned. It's awfully generous of you Leon to allow some blowhard the space to make such comments. It's your forum though, and it's up to you. what ever happened to just being appreciative that there is a space to talk about vintage cards that's as top notch as this one.

Chicago206 05-06-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T's please (Post 805693)
I voted give them a warning, then ban them if they don't quit. If the person doesn't bring any real value to the board, then they probably won't be missed.

r/
Frank

In such an instance as Leon is talking about, along with the fact that Leon felt compelled enough to make a public poll, it would surprise me quite a bit if this particular individual hasnt been warned at least a few times already. But perhaps the severity of the warnings havent implied banishment is forthcoming?

Leon 05-06-2010 05:08 PM

I might add

I might add that I have never minded taking a few jabs. It comes with the territory. That being said, at some point it just gets tiring. I also don't want folks to think that they can't complain if I do something wrong. They can. If someone doesn't like the way the board is run they can express their opinion and shouldn't fear retaliation. I really do take this very seriously and it's been on my mind quite some time. regards

teetwoohsix 05-06-2010 05:08 PM

I voted for the warn first,and if he doesn't quit,then ban him (not worded correctly),,,,,,,,but if he's been warned,and continues-what's the use?Time to swing the axe.............

Tcards-Please 05-06-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago206 (Post 805696)
In such an instance as Leon is talking about, along with the fact that Leon felt compelled enough to make a public poll, it would surprise me quite a bit if this particular individual hasnt been warned at least a few times already. But perhaps the severity of the warnings havent implied banishment is forthcoming?

That was one of the options given and that was the one I chose. If he has given him warnings, then the choice should have been "I've given him/her warnings, should I ban?"

r/
Frank

bigtrain 05-06-2010 05:18 PM

You go into a shop and insult the owner, you should expect to be thrown out. No one has a right to participate in this forum. You should not put up with such nonsense.

camlov2 05-06-2010 05:18 PM

Maybe you should create a group of 3-4 main posters who you feel would be fair and objective. Ban the person for a week as a warning, during this time have the group study their posts/emails as a whole. If they feel that the person should be banned that would happen with their next out of line post. This gives you the power of banning for a week and you have support for anything longer.

Bamacollection 05-06-2010 05:30 PM

I voted to ban all of the Bruces'....or.....ahhhhh....whomever it may be....if it's the Bruces'. Otherwise, Free Peter C.!!!!

Bamacollection 05-06-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlov2 (Post 805705)
Maybe you should create a group of 3-4 main posters who you feel would be fair and objective. Ban the person for a week as a warning, during this time have the group study their posts/emails as a whole. If they feel that the person should be banned that would happen with their next out of line post. This gives you the power of banning for a week and you have support for anything longer.

I believe they are called "Moderators".

batsballsbases 05-06-2010 05:32 PM

say bye bye

Leon,
Just ban him. Thats what I voted for.:D:D After all is said and done like you said Once an a@@hole always and a@@hole. ;);)

Wesley 05-06-2010 05:36 PM

Hi Leon,
If you let us know who it is, that would help most of us make up our minds.
Otherwise, your board, so you are free to boot anyone you want.
Wes

iggyman 05-06-2010 05:41 PM

Leon,

Based only on the information you gave us, I would "do nothing." I read this board everyday and it is not obvious to me who you are talking about. It seems like this person gets under your skin and irks you. He might add nothing to this board, but that is true of a large percentage of our members (including me). Perhaps, that is why you have distanced yourself a little bit from Net54? Or, at least don't seem as involved. Don't let one "numskull" get under your skin, at the end of the day it is not worth it. Let it go, don't scoop to his level (personal level), and move on.

This philosophy guarantees a long life with a full head of hair as a bonus :eek:.

Lovely Day...

“The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.”

Kawika 05-06-2010 05:44 PM

What would I do?

Well, Leon. I wouldn't make a thread and a poll. This could end up being World War 54. I would consult my closest and most trusted hobby friends and knock it around with them. I would also speak with the offending individual (if you haven't already) and get it straight with him that, fair or not, this is not a democracy, you pay the bills and you are driving the bus, and whatever it is that is bugging you needs to cease. You took an awful lot of shit off Jay Behrens (money grubbing whore ring a bell?) before he got voted off the island; that should have been a one-and-done. No one, moderators included, should have to put up with any sort of abuse, ankle-biting or otherwise.

It's Barry Sloate, isn't it?

dstudeba 05-06-2010 05:44 PM

I would ban him because of what he is doing not who he is doing it to. There are some people who cannot be taught civility and they appear in online forums with relative frequency. These people detract from the purpose of the message board independent of who they attack. When this happens some positive influences in the community decide to leave. I have seen it on a number of boards including this one.

Brian Weisner 05-06-2010 05:46 PM

I have to agree with Wesley.... It's your board, so you can do as you choose. Life is too short to deal with morons.... Either ignore them or boot them.
Be well Brian :)

Wesley 05-06-2010 05:47 PM

Oh what the heck.... just ban him.

Cat 05-06-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 805716)
It's Barry Sloate, isn't it?

A man can only take so many Seinfeld quotes. :)

T206Collector 05-06-2010 05:53 PM

ban a$$holes

Ban at will. You are the moderator. If you have a problem with a f$$$head, then cut him loose. Warnings are unnecessary and will only prolong the agony. It ain't my board, but if it were I'd tell him to f$$k off onto another board. Seriously.

Life's too short to tolerate a$$holes, especially when you have the potential to crush them. You have so much more power than you weild. Every once in awhile the citizenry need a reminder of what you're capable of.

Do yourself a favor. There is no 1st Amendment here -- you're not a state actor. This is an internet chatboard and if someone makes you have a bad time, tell them to pi$$ off. Click delete, say goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish!

You want I should take 'em outside and kick the crap out of 'em?

Abravefan11 05-06-2010 05:55 PM

I'm in complete agreement with David.

Though you try and run this board 99.9% of the time as a democracy at the end of the day it's not. You have a close group of respected hobby friends that I am sure would be glad to tell you if you were overreacting. Ask them their opinion and then do what you think is right.

Griffins 05-06-2010 06:02 PM

I've always been in favor of a benevolent dictatorship. Bounce it off a few friends and then do whatever you think is right.

JP 05-06-2010 06:06 PM

I can't believe Leon would've posted this without at least warning and/or trying to work it out with the offender. So if it has come this far already, I say ban...

barrysloate 05-06-2010 06:10 PM

You guys may be on to something...I think it is me.:o

I feel at times that Leon is too lax with regard to rogue posters. If it were my board, I would be banning a whole lot of people. Come to think of it, maybe it's a good idea it isn't my board.

3-2-count 05-06-2010 06:11 PM

I voted to simply "give him an infraction". Damn near chose "to do nothing" since many on here bicker and jab at each other all the time with no recourse.
It's just an online pre-war baseball card forum for cripes sake. It's your decision in the end though Leon. Your the gate keeper.

ps- I second Davids guess. It's Barry, isn't it. :D

Matt 05-06-2010 06:17 PM

I voted "C," give him an infection.

HRBAKER 05-06-2010 06:18 PM

I am assuming that you have already spoken with this individual and that they know that their act has grown very tired. If that is the case then I think that you have done your part to be an "enlightened and benevolent" forum owner. If it is a prolonged pattern of behavior in spite of your efforts at modifying it, IMO you owe the member nothing as they are not entitled to be a member solely because they draw breath. If in your opinion it is for the better of the board to be one member less then so be it.

And Matt, I voted "A" - "bean" him!

cfc1909 05-06-2010 06:24 PM

the key here for me is

"adds very little real value to the board"

see ya -find a new board.
I call these kind of people a KEYBOARD PECKER

they post just to post with no thought put into the post and have no idea what they are saying.

Leon 05-06-2010 06:30 PM

thanks and an end to the thread

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. I just wanted to get a reality check and the responses are no different than a few years ago when there was another similar situation. Things tend to take care of themselves, or easier decisions are to be had, only later. For the moment I got what I needed. This is kind of a "negative" thread so I am going to close it. Lets get back to talkin' some cards. Thanks again!!

JK 05-06-2010 06:30 PM

Barry should definitely be banned : )