Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brady Suspension Overturned (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210955)

RichardSimon 09-03-2015 08:40 AM

Brady Suspension Overturned

The judge has ruled in favor of Tom Brady.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 08:41 AM

So much for that silliness.

Joshchisox08 09-03-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1448831)
The judge has ruled in favor of Tom Brady.

Maybe he "Blew" up the judge ehhhh ;)

conor912 09-03-2015 09:58 AM

In my morning grog I thought this thread was started by Richard Serman and almost choked on my coffee.

yanks12025 09-03-2015 12:26 PM

Lesson to children, this just proves cheating does win.

packs 09-03-2015 01:28 PM

Keep cheating Tom. Good example for your children.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 01:30 PM

is every lineman who gets away with an illegal hold a cheater?

bigfish 09-03-2015 01:31 PM

Brady

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1448853)

Really?

autograf 09-03-2015 01:33 PM

Good thing he cheated......Indianapolis would have REALLY been blown out since they scored less points in the first half with deflated balls...............

ksabet 09-03-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1448876)

Our legal system isn't perfect but Goodell is far from ethical and there was no proof Brady cheated....this from a Bills fan

egri 09-03-2015 01:52 PM

This whole saga has reminded me of the scene from Band of Brothers where Sobel tried to court-martial Winters because Winters was 15 minutes late to an inspection that he didn't know the time had been moved (from 10 AM to 9:45). Long story short, Sobel lost his company command and was transferred out of the division, Winters went on to receive several medals, and West Point still studies one of his attacks today, 70 years after the fact.

packs 09-03-2015 02:15 PM

Knowingly altering the equipment to give yourself an advantage is cheating. That is much different than a lineman being called for a hold on a single play. If you think there's no proof, remember that Brady is the man who holds the football every play he's on the field for.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1448897)
Knowingly altering the equipment to give yourself an advantage is cheating. That is much different than a lineman being called for a hold on a single play. If you think there's no proof, remember that Brady is the man who holds the football every play he's on the field for.

Did a single referee notice any difference in the game balls that supposedly had been altered to give an advantage? They handle them on every play too.

packs 09-03-2015 02:39 PM

Oh it's the refs fault Tom cheated. Come on, the texts between him and the equipment manager leave no doubt:

BRADY: "You good Jonny boy?"

"You doing good?"

JASTREMSKI: "Still nervous; so far so good though"

BRADY: "FYI...Dave (Patriots head equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld) will be picking your brain later about it. He's not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it's unrealistic you did it yourself..."

Not to mention the guy destroyed his phone 4 months into an investigation at the precise moment he was asked for his phone.

Econteachert205 09-03-2015 02:45 PM

The judge did not exonerate Brady, rather he admonished the nfl's poor use of discipline not even in keeping with its wide authority under the cba. Brady's legacy was still greatly tarnished in the public and he was put through the legal wringer, I'd say "getting away with it" was less fun than one would imagine.

DanP 09-03-2015 03:14 PM

Ok, from a NY Giants fan. If you can't handle your team not winning or simply don't like the Patriots go ahead and continue with these ridiculous comments about how big a deal it was to deflate the footballs.

Did any of you ever look at the list of teams fined for cheating in 2015? How about the many past Super Bowl winners with players fined or suspended for using PED's? How about the Steelers teams from the 70's? I think that any person who's willing to think about this rationally without any bias or jealousy realizes that this was not that big deal.

Do you really believe that there's not a single player on the team you root for who doesn't cheat?

I get it, you're jealous of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Please stop embarrassing yourselves acting like if this happened to your favorite team you would feel the same way.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 03:20 PM

Dan exactly. It's an equipment violation, so de minimis that no referee even noticed any difference in the balls. Spare me the BS about the integrity of the game.

packs 09-03-2015 03:25 PM

If a player corked their bat you'd be saying they cheated. How is this any different? It's not integrity of the game, it's the integrity of an individual that is at issue. This guy should face consequences for what he did. No one is asking for his head, but it perfectly reasonable that he should be forced to sit out games.

obcbobd 09-03-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanP (Post 1448925)
Ok, from a NY Giants fan. If you can't handle your team not winning or simply don't like the Patriots go ahead and continue with these ridiculous comments about how big a deal it was to deflate the footballs.

Did any of you ever look at the list of teams fined for cheating in 2015? How about the many past Super Bowl winners with players fined or suspended for using PED's? How about the Steelers teams from the 70's? I think that any person who's willing to think about this rationally without any bias or jealousy realizes that this was not that big deal.

Do you really believe that there's not a single player on the team you root for who doesn't cheat?

I get it, you're jealous of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Please stop embarrassing yourselves acting like if this happened to your favorite team you would feel the same way.

+1

Ladder7 09-03-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1448878)
Good thing he cheated......Indianapolis would have REALLY been blown out since they scored less points in the first half with deflated balls...............

Awesome

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1448936)
If a player corked their bat you'd be saying they cheated. How is this any different? It's not integrity of the game, it's the integrity of an individual that is at issue. This guy should face consequences for what he did. No one is asking for his head, but it perfectly reasonable that he should be forced to sit out games.

Corked bat is objectively an advantage, no? Inflation or deflation is just a personal preference, as was clear from some QBs preferring them on the high side. And this was so trivial nobody even noticed.

HRBAKER 09-03-2015 05:16 PM

Whose balls are deflated now?

jiw98 09-03-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrbaker (Post 1448979)
whose balls are deflated now?

Now that's funny

7nohitter 09-03-2015 07:09 PM

The people who proclaim Brady a cheater are just bitter.

Unfortunately, Brady's name has been smeared, and people will believe conjecture instead of fact.

The fact that the Patriots have 15 years of solid, winning football has created a jealousy from fans around the country.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-03-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1448956)
Corked bat is objectively an advantage, no? Inflation or deflation is just a personal preference, as was clear from some QBs preferring them on the high side. And this was so trivial nobody even noticed.

Corked bats are more detrimental than helpful. Corking a bat actually causes the ball to travel less distance compared to a solid whole bat. You lose that complete solid core with hollowing a bat. And yes, there is scientific research backing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runscott 09-03-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1448876)

I agree - all forms of cheating should be allowed in the NFL, regardless of what it is. But then again, if my girlfriend asks me for a glass of apple juice, I give her orange juice and she has the nerve to complain.

bxb 09-03-2015 07:35 PM

Good for Brady.

Justice is served.

This BS has gone far enough.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 07:46 PM

Yeah what Brady did is a big deal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4419573.html

oldjudge 09-03-2015 07:57 PM

The only thing I find objectionable is that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the NFL.

Kenny Cole 09-03-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1449040)
The only thing I find objectionable is that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the NFL.

+1.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1449040)

Has he done anything right? I mean seriously.

Jay Wolt 09-03-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1449049)
Has he done anything right? I mean seriously.

He's made the owners hundreds of millions of dollars on his watch.
To his bosses (the owners) that's all that counts.

Kenny Cole 09-03-2015 08:46 PM

Every time I watch him purse his lips and utter ridiculous platitudes about whatever the issue is, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I absolutely despise him, even beyond Selig, which is saying a lot. But, as Jay mentioned, he is evidently making the owners money and that's where the rubber meets the road.

Runscott 09-03-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1449063)
Every time I watch him purse his lips and utter ridiculous platitudes about whatever the issue is, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I absolutely despise him, even beyond Selig, which is saying a lot. But, as Jay mentioned, he is evidently making the owners money and that's where the rubber meets the road.

If all I knew was their behavior, and wasn't a big sports fan, I would get the two of them mixed up - Goodell has a one point advantage for being able to bullshit better in big settings. Basketball, as sorry as it is as a sport, at least has a decent commissioner.

Kenny Cole 09-03-2015 09:07 PM

Yeah Silver seems like a pretty decent guy. I could be wrong though. Kind of reminds me of the old quote, attributed to Groucho Marx among various others: "Sincerity is everything. Once you learn to fake that, the world is your oyster." I guess time will tell.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2015 09:09 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-arr...215731603.html

kmac32 09-03-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1448853)

that is what is wrong with society. When did cheating become okay? Guess it is okay if you win but not okay if you get caught or lose.

freakhappy 09-04-2015 01:17 AM

I believe he should at least be fined and maybe suspended two games or both, but not four...that's way excessive IMO. And I don't believe the people that are calling for a suspension, etc., are bitter, but rather just looking for some sort of punishment for Brady for doing something he shouldn't have. If Goodell would bring it down a notch, he could have disciplined Brady without trying to overdo it and be some sort of mighty dictator. I'm glad however, that the judge overtuned the initial ruling and called out Goodell in the process.

wolf441 09-04-2015 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Coming to a theater near you...

packs 09-04-2015 08:20 AM

If inflation or deflation is just a personal preference then why did the league set a rule that mandated the pressure of the football? The guy broke a rule. If you don't want to call it cheating, fine. But we should be able to agree what he did was in violation of league rules and a suspension seems fair to me.

gnaz01 09-04-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1449165)
If inflation or deflation is just a personal preference then why did the league set a rule that mandated the pressure of the football? The guy broke a rule. If you don't want to call it cheating, fine. But we should be able to agree what he did was in violation of league rules and a suspension seems fair to me.

I will say it AGAIN, what rule was he PROVEN to break?? This is the opportune word here: PROVEN in my opinion. The good thing is that here is the US, you are innocent until PROVEN guilty (lawyers chime in please :D)

kcohen 09-04-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1449165)

Even if he did something, of which I've seen no real proof, the league mandate for altering equipment is a fine, not suspension. If you choose to ignore basic facts, well ...... there's no law against jealously and envy of Brady's and the Patriots' success.

The real travesty here is the Goodell kangaroo court and the NFL's overreach. The judge obviously agreed to the extent of overturning a finding originally held within the framework of a CBA, which I understand they are normally very reluctant to do.

packs 09-04-2015 08:41 AM

Well the balls were all underinflated on the Patriots side, so isn't that proof that they were deflated?

Equipment managers trade texts between each other talking about Tom's preferred deflation and either deflating or inflating the balls to his liking. Isn't that proof?

Four months into an investigation Tom Brady destroys his cell phone at the precise time that he is asked to turn it over. You can call that circumstantial, but if there's smoke there's fire.

gnaz01 09-04-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1449173)
Well the balls were all underinflated on the Patriots side, so isn't that proof that they were deflated?

Equipment managers trade texts between each other talking about Tom's preferred deflation and either deflating or inflating the balls to his liking. Isn't that proof?

Four months into an investigation Tom Brady destroys his cell phone at the precise time that he is asked to turn it over. You can call that circumstantial, but if there's smoke there's fire.

Actually, it wasn't ALL of the footballs, only 11 of 12 :D And some of the Colts were as well.

And if I was married to Giselle Bundchen I assure you I wouldn't turn my cell phone over either :D

In the end, Roger Goodell is a joke of a commissioner, IMHO.

kcohen 09-04-2015 08:52 AM

No. First, hindsight showed that there was no reliable measurement metric. Second, Brady had been informed by Wells that there was no need for his phone in the investigation. Relevant transcripts were apparently provided. Who knows what sorts of information were on the phone that Brady wouldn't have wanted divulged to the TMZs of the world. Once again, feel free to ignore relevant facts. Fortunately for the sake of basic fairness, the judge did not.

packs 09-04-2015 08:56 AM

Right I always just decide to destroy my phone out of the blue when the court comes asking for it and the media has done nothing but talk about the damning texts that might be on it should it be turned over to the court.

How do you explain the equipment managers discussing their manipulation of the footballs to Tom's liking? Were they lying? Was that part of an elaborate set up months in the making for the championship game?

rats60 09-04-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1449169)
I will say it AGAIN, what rule was he PROVEN to break?? This is the opportune word here: PROVEN in my opinion. The good thing is that here is the US, you are innocent until PROVEN guilty (lawyers chime in please :D)

He was given his day in court and found guilty. You can choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore the overwhelming circumstantial evidence, but that doesn't change the fact that he was proven guilty.

Numerous quarterbacks have come out and said that there is no doubt in their minds that he was involved. Yesterday, it was Fran Tarkenton. QBs are the ones who dictate how the balls are prepared. I guess you think that Brady is unique and has nothing to do with how the Pats prepare their balls. If that was the case, then why did he lobby the NFL to change the rule allowing visiting teams to prepare their own balls?

gnaz01 09-04-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1449179)
He was given his day in court and found guilty. You can choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore the overwhelming circumstantial evidence, but that doesn't change the fact that he was proven guilty.

Numerous quarterbacks have come out and said that there is no doubt in their minds that he was involved. Yesterday, it was Fran Tarkenton. QBs are the ones who dictate how the balls are prepared. I guess you think that Brady is unique and has nothing to do with how the Pats prepare their balls. If that was the case, then why did he lobby the NFL to change the rule allowing visiting teams to prepare their own balls?

I'll say it again, he was never PROVEN guilty, it was stated he was guilty. HUGE difference!!

packs 09-04-2015 09:00 AM

Huge difference when you want there to be one. No difference at all when someone is sentenced to jail time for something they didn't do.

egri 09-04-2015 09:12 AM

My kind of restaurant: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...-berman-090315