Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   National Autograph Tickets: Regular vs. Inscriptions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256853)

Gary Dunaier 06-30-2018 01:43 PM

For Frank Robinson, it's $99 for a "regular" item, which they define as "Any size flat item, baseball, cap, or mini helmets." All other items are classified as "premium," and it's $229 for an autograph on those.

Regarding steve B's comment about buying just the inscription without an autograph: it doesn't say anything on Robinson's page, and presumably the same is true on the other players' pages, but at the top of the autograph ticket page it says "Note: Inscriptions must be obtained at the same time as the autograph, and cannot be added to previously signed items. If you plan to purchase an inscription ticket, you must purchase an autograph ticket. You cannot enter the autograph line without an autograph ticket." (Bold added.)

mrmopar 06-30-2018 04:27 PM

I know it's all about getting specific items signed in most cases and for some the meeting experience, but keeping in line with picking on Frank Robby, you can easily snag a manufacturers certified auto's card of his for under $15 delivered and on a good day, possibly even under $10!

It isn't beyond belief to see the autograph hobby disappear completely over time as the prices rise higher and higher, with experiences being impersonal and players making so much money that signing autographs is no longer a necessary/desired alternate revenue or charity stream and/or an honor for them, but a nuisance and not worth their time. Add in the increased risk of forgeries and it kind of loses it's appeal anyway.

Td8237 06-30-2018 06:23 PM

I have seen Mr. Robinson in action. He will probably argue that anything that is handed to him is a premium item. I know someone that runs a card show that said he will never have him back. Can buy his autograph online for very little money. I will give my money to guys like Mr Simon, or to the players I feel that will at least will act like they want to be around the average fan.

Huck 07-01-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1791149)
It isn't beyond belief to see the autograph hobby disappear completely over time as the prices rise higher and higher, with experiences being impersonal and players making so much money that signing autographs is no longer a necessary/desired alternate revenue or charity stream and/or an honor for them, but a nuisance and not worth their time. Add in the increased risk of forgeries and it kind of loses it's appeal anyway.

The argument that "players making so much money that signing autographs is no longer a necessary/desired alternate revenue or charity stream and/or an honor for them, but a nuisance and not worth their time" is a nonstarter. That argument has been made for well over a decade and yet quite a few of the big salary names hit the autograph circuit. Why? Unless, the player invested well, or has another revenue stream there is a need for cash inflow or the base is being eroded. One would think that there is an upper limit for what collectors are willing to pay but thus far collectors are still paying up. I said "no way" to the prices of Piazza, The big Unit, Chipper, and next week at CSA I will take a miss on Big Papi. $250 a throw for that scribble? No, thanks. I can live with not having a few current hall of fame players on a piece or two. To quote a collecting friend "I don't have Babe Ruth either."

I agree that forgeries are prevalent throughout the hobby which is why early on I decided to get every autograph in person. As the years have rolled by, I relaxed the rule a bit, dabbling in mail order from time to time or having a trusted fellow collector get a sig for me.

packs 07-02-2018 12:05 PM

There is no way athletes only sign for the money. Bob Feller never needed the money and no one will ever convince me that's the only reason he did so many shows. If every one of his signings were free I have no doubt he'd have done just as many.

Even today Rickey Henderson, who made 44 million over his semi-recent career, is at almost every show there is. He doesn't need the money. I think he's driven by his want and/or need to continue to be idolized and remembered. And I think that want is what drives many players to the circuit where they interact with so many fans.

steve B 07-02-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1791544)
There is no way athletes only sign for the money. Bob Feller never needed the money and no one will ever convince me that's the only reason he did so many shows. If every one of his signings were free I have no doubt he'd have done just as many.

Even today Rickey Henderson, who made 44 million over his semi-recent career, is at almost every show there is. He doesn't need the money. I think he's driven by his want and/or need to continue to be idolized and remembered. And I think that want is what drives many players to the circuit where they interact with so many fans.

My experience with Feller was that he simply loved baseball and talking about baseball with people. Why else would he sit in the stands talking pitching with a kid in Jr High?

packs 07-02-2018 04:13 PM

That's what I'm saying. The characterization of the aging ball player who didn't make enough in his career and being resigned to the show circuit to pay for his dinner is not one I think exists for the vast majority of ex-players.

steve B 07-02-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1791097)
For Frank Robinson, it's $99 for a "regular" item, which they define as "Any size flat item, baseball, cap, or mini helmets." All other items are classified as "premium," and it's $229 for an autograph on those.

Regarding steve B's comment about buying just the inscription without an autograph: it doesn't say anything on Robinson's page, and presumably the same is true on the other players' pages, but at the top of the autograph ticket page it says "Note: Inscriptions must be obtained at the same time as the autograph, and cannot be added to previously signed items. If you plan to purchase an inscription ticket, you must purchase an autograph ticket. You cannot enter the autograph line without an autograph ticket." (Bold added.)

My sense of odd humor is odd enough that nobody gets it.
I wouldn't buy the inscription as an add-on to some thing already signed.
I'd buy JUST the inscription. Like a ball with just his HR total.

Yes, it would be a really weird waste of money, but I think it could be really funny.

bnorth 07-02-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1791611)

Yes, it would be a really weird waste of money, but I think it could be really funny.

I like your style Steve.:) Not a big auto guy but I have noticed many times it says the players will NOT add inscriptions to already signed items.

I would pay just for Wade Boggs to add all his stats/accomplishments on the 3000 Hit SGA bat I have without adding a signature.

earlywynnfan 07-02-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1791611)

It'd be a centerpiece of my collection! When people would ask "What's up with that?" I would reply "It was all I could afford."