Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It is Sickening how badly PWCC Shill Bids! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239471)

danmckee 05-08-2017 07:14 PM

It is Sickening how badly PWCC Shill Bids!

Simply Sickening.... Every bidder 80% or higher on their auctions, they should be kicked off of ebay!

danmckee 05-08-2017 08:03 PM

163 views and no replies, there are a bunch of SHEEP on this chat board!

bnorth 05-08-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 1659355)

No, it has just a subject that has been beaten to death lately. There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.

Leon 05-08-2017 08:08 PM

A couple hundred viwes by now. Someone is just sitting there clicking the thread to piss you off :).

Thromdog 05-08-2017 08:10 PM

I'm at 76%. Just under your threshold

slidekellyslide 05-08-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 1659355)

PWCC fatigue.

mechanicalman 05-08-2017 08:13 PM

Yeah, this topic is stale, but it did raise a new question for me:

How does one tell their own % of bids with a certain seller? I can see others, but not mine.

Snapolit1 05-08-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1659359)
No, it has just a subject that has been beaten to death lately. There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.

Beaten to death would be putting it mildly.

The %s mean nothing to me. They sell way more cards than anyone else. And some people like to bid $2 at a time. Whatever. It's the rampant bid retractions that are the telltale sign of shenanigans.

Bliggity 05-08-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1659365)
Yeah, this topic is stale, but it did raise a new question for me:

How does one tell their own % of bids with a certain seller? I can see others, but not mine.

Log out of eBay and then go back to the auction without being signed in. Then you can see your own stats.

I agree that percentages mean nothing. I have a high percentage with PWCC because they have the most auctions. Zero retractions.

mechanicalman 05-08-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliggity (Post 1659379)
Log out of eBay and then go back to the auction without being signed in. Then you can see your own stats.

I agree that percentages mean nothing. I have a high percentage with PWCC because they have the most auctions. Zero retractions.

Thanks Dan.

56% with PWCC. 0 lifetime retractions. 0 shill bids.

wondo 05-08-2017 09:02 PM

Really? I bid with less than ten eBay dealers. What do my stats look like besides the fact I have zero retractions in 18 years. As much as I want to stop fraud and shilling, crying wolf anestitises the problem.

And, yes, I consign to PWCC ......and Probstein, REA, Mile High, brockelman, etc.

hangman62 05-08-2017 09:14 PM

shill bidding

I think its dumb to spend big money on baseball cards

HOF Auto Rookies 05-08-2017 09:19 PM

Another one...

slipk1068 05-08-2017 09:24 PM

I have been trying to understand for a couple years why so many folks defend them no matter what. Consignors? Shill bidders? Employees? Family members??? They do have their defenders.

For full disclosure I have never consigned anything with them, but I do bid a couple times a year. I always feel like I did something wrong when I win something and like I need a shower. I am going to try not to win anything anymore, but I am addicted to stuff :(

Exhibitman 05-08-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1659392)
crying wolf anestitises the problem.

I don't know what that is but it sounds kinky...

Beastmode 05-08-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1659367)
Beaten to death would be putting it mildly.

The %s mean nothing to me. They sell way more cards than anyone else. And some people like to bid $2 at a time. Whatever. It's the rampant bid retractions that are the telltale sign of shenanigans.

This ++. I think I may be over 80%, but they have the best auctions for my specific want list. And, I don't have all day to spend searching the crap on ebay that is listed wrong so it can hit my search, or the overpriced BINS that clog up the internet.

Percentage of bid means nothing in terms of shilling. Get over it. Go after the retractors, they are the enemy.

wondo 05-08-2017 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1659409)
I don't know what that is but it sounds kinky...

Adam,
If I could only learn how to spell or hit the F7 key the world would be my oyster. 😁

pokerplyr80 05-09-2017 12:54 AM

Many collectors, myself included, bid almost exclusively on pwcc auctions on ebay because most other sellers list high end cards for BIN or obo. This has been discussed many times, and in most cases is not evidence of shill bidding.

I recently sent them a couple of cards and ended up getting more than I would have selling privately, after consignment fees, without the hassle, and without placing any shill bids.

pokerplyr80 05-09-2017 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1659395)
I think its dumb to spend big money on baseball cards

I think it's dumb to criticize others for what they spend their money on.

Bored5000 05-09-2017 04:31 AM

I agree with the previous posters who commented that percentage of bids with PWCC is not necessarily evidence of shill bidding. I posted on here a few weeks that there were dozens of PWCC auctions that had bidders with many retractions; bidders with many retractions is much more damning, IMO, than bidding mostly with just PWCC.

Peter_Spaeth 05-09-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipk1068 (Post 1659398)
I have been trying to understand for a couple years why so many folks defend them no matter what. Consignors? Shill bidders? Employees? Family members??? They do have their defenders.

For full disclosure I have never consigned anything with them, but I do bid a couple times a year. I always feel like I did something wrong when I win something and like I need a shower. I am going to try not to win anything anymore, but I am addicted to stuff :(

The vast majority of people just want their stuff and dont care if it is shilled or doctored. This is the perfect market for fraud. As for pwcc defenders certainly some of it imo is self interest.

bnorth 05-09-2017 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1659454)
I agree with the previous posters who commented that percentage of bids with PWCC is not necessarily evidence of shill bidding. I posted on here a few weeks that there were dozens of PWCC auctions that had bidders with many retractions; bidders with many retractions is much more damning, IMO, than bidding mostly with just PWCC.

I agree that bid percentage is not 100% evidence anymore. A few years ago I was bored and starting watching the bidding patterns of 3 big eBay sellers. They are also known acquaintances. They started sharing the shilling accounts to drop the %. Shill accounts are not only used to directly bump the price they are also used to get items more views. Notice all those small bids at the beginnings of auctions, most of those are shill bids also.

One of the main things I look for is a very high amount of bids and very low feedback. When you have someone that is placing 100's or 1000's of bids per month and has low feedback #s that is your shill accounts. If you watch certain eBay accounts they stick out like a sore thumb.

PowderedH2O 05-09-2017 06:29 AM

I don't know if I agree with that. I place a lot of bids every month. Sometimes I will place a lowball bid on an item instead of putting it in my watch list. I do it that way because every now and then I end up winning a $20 item for $3 or something like that. I might only win 10% of what I bid on. But I shill nothing. I've been on ebay for 20 years, so I have feedback near 3000, but I've probably bid on 30,000 items over that time.

bnorth 05-09-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1659475)
I don't know if I agree with that. I place a lot of bids every month. Sometimes I will place a lowball bid on an item instead of putting it in my watch list. I do it that way because every now and then I end up winning a $20 item for $3 or something like that. I might only win 10% of what I bid on. But I shill nothing. I've been on ebay for 20 years, so I have feedback near 3000, but I've probably bid on 30,000 items over that time.

There are exceptions to almost anything but how is your 3000 feedback considered low?

One shilling account I have watched off and on for a couple years places 1000's of bids per month on a few 100 items and has a feedback of 67.

Exhibitman 05-09-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1659475)

Me too. I probably bid on 20 or more items a week that I'd take at the minimum but won't chase. I win them occasionally but mostly don't.

Snapolit1 05-09-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmode (Post 1659426)
This ++. I think I may be over 80%, but they have the best auctions for my specific want list. And, I don't have all day to spend searching the crap on ebay that is listed wrong so it can hit my search, or the overpriced BINS that clog up the internet.

Percentage of bid means nothing in terms of shilling. Get over it. Go after the retractors, they are the enemy.

Trying to complete my Gehrig run (should I live long enough) they regularly have cards I am looking in vain for elsewhere on eBay.

calvindog 05-09-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1659359)
There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.

As with criticism of Mastro too.

Leon 05-09-2017 08:55 AM

Let's please don't forget the lawyers who defend the criminals and fraudsters in our hobby while championing against fraud, LMAO. They should get their accolades too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1659477)
There are exceptions to almost anything but how is your 3000 feedback considered low?

One shilling account I have watched off and on for a couple years places 1000's of bids per month on a few 100 items and has a feedback of 67.

Jeffrompa 05-09-2017 08:56 AM

It's ridiculous

To think that sellers shill just for attention or publicity .

PowderedH2O 05-09-2017 09:12 AM

If you were to look at someone like Rick Probstein, we know that he starts auctions at 99 cents. To be honest, ANY graded card is worth 99 cents. So, I could see someone bidding on virtually every Probstein auction. If you were the opening bidder at 99 cents, you could bid on thousands of items a year and only win one out of every 200. But, it would be worth your while probably. Hence, high percentage of bids with one seller, with very low feedback.

KingFisk 05-09-2017 09:20 AM

It's possible my bid percentage is through the roof with them, simply because I haven't participated in many auctions recently and then went after 15-20 cards on Sunday, placing multiple bids on each.

calvindog 05-09-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1659520)
Let's please don't forget the lawyers who defend the criminals and fraudsters in our hobby while championing against fraud, LMAO. They should get their accolades too.

I represented people who were either involved or witnessed fraud in the hobby. Most if not all cooperated with the government in their cases brought against larger fraudsters in the hobby. All of this is in the public record. As you know, the FBI and US Attorney's Office would agree that my clients' cooperation helped them convict miscreants in the hobby. No one paid me to look the other way.

Edited to add: Leon, I just called you on your cell so as to avoid yet another public pissing contest on the page. I'm in my office if you'd like to talk.

MikeGarcia 05-09-2017 09:45 AM

Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1659532)
It's possible my bid percentage is through the roof with them, simply because I haven't participated in many auctions recently and then went after 15-20 cards on Sunday, placing multiple bids on each.

..up until last night I'd bid on less than a dozen cards , including "make offer" BINS, since January 1st.....then last night I bid on 39 PWCC auctions ; I imagine that skewed my percentage.......but they were 39 snipes , so would that be a factor in the investigation ?

..do "shill" bidders ever make snipe bids ? What if they win ? Isn't it too late to retract if you're the winner ??

darwinbulldog 05-09-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1659550)
..up until last night I'd bid on less than a dozen cards , including "make offer" BINS, since January 1st.....then last night I bid on 39 PWCC auctions ; I imagine that skewed my percentage.......but they were 39 snipes , so would that be a factor in the investigation ?

..do "shill" bidders ever make snipe bids ? What if they win ? Isn't it too late to retract if you're the winner ??

You'll find cards sometimes being relisted by a seller in his next slate of auctions. If that answers your question. Which it does.

bobbyw8469 05-09-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1659528)
If you were to look at someone like Rick Probstein, we know that he starts auctions at 99 cents. To be honest, ANY graded card is worth 99 cents. So, I could see someone bidding on virtually every Probstein auction. If you were the opening bidder at 99 cents, you could bid on thousands of items a year and only win one out of every 200. But, it would be worth your while probably. Hence, high percentage of bids with one seller, with very low feedback.

Not true. I had a 1970 Topps football common PSA 7 that would not get a .99 cent bid to save my life. I think I dropped it to a penny, and someone bit. It sold for that penny too.

Gradedcardman 05-09-2017 10:58 AM

Pwcc

I have won a few items with PWCC. I have lost more. Most of the ones I lose are to legitimate buyers that I recognize by their feedback number or name. I once was bidding on a card that I had seen sell via PWCC 2 weeks prior. The person who won the item the first time was shilling it up. I called PWCC out on it and they retracted all of that bidders activity. I know this happens as I know consigners to Brent who bid on their items. Difficult to police but certainly happens until called out.

Fballguy 05-09-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1659528)

Another mystery of eBay...Starts his auctions at $0.99, yet still manages to sell nearly every item for higher price than everyone else. We should all be that good. ;)

bnorth 05-09-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1659507)
As with criticism of Mastro too.

LOL, like PWCC there are 2 types with Bill also. Those that received "gift" baskets from him and those that did not.

bobbyw8469 05-09-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1659582)
Another mystery of eBay...Starts his auctions at $0.99, yet still manages to sell nearly every item for higher price than everyone else. We should all be that good. ;)

Agreed...sometimes my .99 cent auctions end at .99 cents. Not the case with those guys.

Snapolit1 05-09-2017 12:07 PM

I listed about 40 items last year with PWCC, didn't shill them, and about 39 of them went for weak prices. Go figure. It's crazy . . .when you look at VCP for my sale cards it was like the prior sale was $496 and mine sold for $183. Go figure.

Peter_Spaeth 05-09-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1659616)
I listed about 40 items last year with PWCC, didn't shill them, and about 39 of them went for weak prices. Go figure. It's crazy . . .when you look at VCP for my sale cards it was like the prior sale was $496 and mine sold for $183. Go figure.

And I am guessing yours did not have 27 bids after two hours either...

Snapolit1 05-09-2017 12:33 PM

Was reading one set of auction rules recently and it stated that shilling an auction is a violation of a federal crime. I don't know what that law would be. If true, maybe someone should be asking Brent whether he is forwarding on disclosed fraud to his local US Attorneys office.

bobbyw8469 05-09-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Thats crazy.

pow323 05-09-2017 12:37 PM

Pwcc shill!!

I bid on a card from PWCC just for the heck of it. Within an hour it was bid up just past my bid and now it is just sitting there with the same bid. Do you think I am going to bid on it again? HA HA!! So what does that tell you??? :rolleyes:

pawpawdiv9 05-09-2017 12:41 PM

Crazy. ^^^
I just had my 1st experience with PWCC...won't no more.
I was expecting to fetch more than I could on my own. Might of as gave the T206 Cobb away.

Snapolit1 05-09-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1659624)
Thats crazy.

My PWCC auction closed at 1130pm on 11/4, the night of the last presidential election. I've bored everyone on the board with my bitching. When I complained to Brent he said me an inane response about I should be happy, everyone was at home. Yep, sure dude. Whatever. Maybe I will be lucky enough to have my next one with you close when there is a nuclear attack underway. Don't insult my intelligence. Since then I've listed six figures of items since with LOTG, Brockelman, and others. Live and learn.

Bottom line: If you are not going to commit fraud or have others do it their auctions get sub par results.

What are they doing that you can't do yourself? They do some 20 second write up and mail it.

Exhibitman 05-09-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

I think we've mostly all figured it out...

calvindog 05-09-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1659643)
I think we've mostly all figured it out...

Yes, he shilled that last lot!

ullmandds 05-09-2017 01:30 PM

there were a few 51 mantle rookies in the 3-4 range ended last night w/pwcc...and I was surprised how low they sold for...definitely not shilled so it would seem!

pokerplyr80 05-09-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1659649)
there were a few 51 mantle rookies in the 3-4 range ended last night w/pwcc...and I was surprised how low they sold for...definitely not shilled so it would seem!

The psa 3 and 5 were both well centered, and sold above the highest reported sale on vcp. The other two were way off center and sold below averages. This should not come as much of a surprise.