Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vintage jersey questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198208)

markf31 12-11-2014 07:49 AM

Vintage jersey questions

I've always been intrigued by vintage jerseys but I have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase or a bid. I often see vintage jerseys that have had the numbers changed. It seems this was a somewhat common occurrence in vintage jerseys from the 1960s and earlier. Either a player was cut, traded or maybe never made the team out of spring training so the team would re-issue the jersey and sometime change the number.

Just curious what the vintage collectors out there think about these types of jerseys. Are you indifferent? Do you find these types of jerseys more interesting? Or perhaps you find these modifications make the jersey less appealing?

baseball tourist 12-11-2014 10:32 AM

While a completely original and unaltered jersey is preferrable one just doesn't have many options when looking to acquire vintage flannels and early double knits - there may only be a minors-recycled jersey availabe for purchase, if at all.

Runscott 12-11-2014 10:54 AM

I recently picked up a '71 Astros jersey that had apparently been re-purposed, which was very common with the Astros and why it's tough to find good 'shooting star' examples. Mine has the shadow of Bob Watson's name on the back, but other than that it's clean. I prefer it this way, as I paid less, know who wore it and can wear it for special occasions (shows probably) without any player reference showing.

perezfan 12-11-2014 11:03 AM

I always prefer all-original, but certain uniforms can be tough or next to impossible to acquire. Seattle Pilots Jerseys would be an example that immediately comes to mind.

That said.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nashvol 12-11-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1353314)
I always prefer all-original, but certain uniforms can be tough or next to impossible to acquire. Seattle Pilots Jerseys would be an example that immediately comes to mind.

That said.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What perezfan said...

Woodward777 12-11-2014 12:37 PM

I only collect all-original jerseys. If there have been any alterations at all since the player wore the jersey, I'm not interested in it. That's just a personal preference, however. To each his own.

Dave Grob 12-11-2014 03:08 PM

Uniform Preferences

As a uniform researcher/historian, my acquisition focus is largely on styles over time. While I love nothing more than finding uniforms in all original condition, for me, each uniform I acquire has some “original aspect” to it that supports my collecting interests and research.

Although it is getting more pricey to acquire older styles (for me this is pre-1940s), it is nice to see the realization on the part of collectors that in many instances, these uniforms (in any condition) may be one of the few surviving examples remaining. This is not a knock on those who have a personal preference for uniforms free of changes and non-personal alterations (shortened sleeves, removed collars, fat straps etc..).

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com