Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Favorite CFL cards!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273252)

invest 09-05-2019 02:06 PM

Favorite CFL cards!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Not sure if there are any Canadian Football Vintage card collectors on the forum, but thought I would try. Show me your favorite Vintage CFL cards!!

Mine are easy being a Saskatchewan Roughriders fan!! Ron Lancaster and George Reed.

Troy

grainsley 09-05-2019 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think you will find a ton of CFL types here.....but here Angelo looks like he is getting the form just right for that late hit on Willie in the '63 Grey Cup.

jefferyepayne 09-06-2019 05:37 AM

Cool cards, guys! I don't collect CFL either but love looking at them.

jeff

grainsley 09-06-2019 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple for both Troy and Jeff.......with a story. Bruce Gainer played with the Riders in the early '70's during their powerhouse era. Said they were an incredibly tight team, likely due to leadership by Ronnie and George. He now lives in sleepy Powell River, B.C., where I do, and I have been lucky enough to hook up with him at the Legion for a beer or three.....and he loved my questions, one of which was "What did you manage to keep from your playing days?" Nothing, much to his regret. He had two issues, OPC/Sargent stickers and a Gulf Oil promo photo. I got the Sargent, but am still looking for the Gulf issue for him. The big guy got a little misty when I presented it to him over a beer. Just a great moment. (By the way, the Riders mascot is named Gainer. Not after Bruce though, it is an anagram of Regina.)

greenmonster66 09-06-2019 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are my few in my PC.

invest 09-06-2019 01:11 PM

Cool Story!!!

That is awesome Grant!!! My family are all die hard riders fans and it was never told to me how Gainer got his name. Cool!! I played University Football for the Calgary Dinos many years ago and at our fundraising event I got the honour of meeting George and Ron. It was a thrill of a lifetime for me!!

Cool pics everyone!!

Troy

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainsley (Post 1914843)
Here are a couple for both Troy and Jeff.......with a story. Bruce Gainer played with the Riders in the early '70's during their powerhouse era. Said they were an incredibly tight team, likely due to leadership by Ronnie and George. He now lives in sleepy Powell River, B.C., where I do, and I have been lucky enough to hook up with him at the Legion for a beer or three.....and he loved my questions, one of which was "What did you manage to keep from your playing days?" Nothing, much to his regret. He had two issues, OPC/Sargent stickers and a Gulf Oil promo photo. I got the Sargent, but am still looking for the Gulf issue for him. The big guy got a little misty when I presented it to him over a beer. Just a great moment. (By the way, the Riders mascot is named Gainer. Not after Bruce though, it is an anagram of Regina.)

commishbob 09-06-2019 02:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 365237Attachment 365238

I only have a handful, nothing as sweet as the ones posted already. Mine has more of a sentimental attachment than anything else. It's fantasy football related so feel free to move on :) I posted the story on my blog a few years ago. I've cut-and-pasted it below. Sorry for being long-winded.

----------------------

Those of you that can't remember life before the internet will have to trust me when I say that back in the Dark Ages not everyone had the latest football info or up-to-the-minute cheat sheets and depth charts. Most guys bought a copy of Street and Smith Football or a similar magazine printed months earlier and drafted from the dated info it contained. Drafting a guy who'd been cut the week before wasn't unusual, especially if you didn't track the transactions in the paper every day.

If you made the effort to find a Pro Football Weekly season preview issue you were way ahead of most everyone else. Those things usually hit the shelves a day or so before the draft. I can remember checking for it at some pretty sketchy downtown Houston "newsstands" the night before the draft.

Given all that I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise when, during the first round of our 1984 draft, one of our owners took Dolphin runningback David Overstreet. He's been a star at the University of Oklahoma, played a couple of seasons with Montreal of the CFL (including a Rookie of the Year 1981 campaign) and, after finally settling his contract issues with Miami, showed promise with the '83 Dolphins.

Then as now runningbacks were a valued fantasy commodity and drafting a young star in a keeper league like ours could pay dividends for years. So, all in all, Oversteet made sense as a first round pick. Except for one small detail. David Overstreet, you see, had died about three months prior to our draft when he ran off the road on a north Texas highway and plowed his car into a gas pump island.

The instant the Overstreet pick was announced by the sadly out-of-touch owner eleven sets of eyes locked on him. I guess we wanted to see if he was making a poor attempt at fantasy football draft humor. After a few seconds it was apparent that he had made a serious pick of Overstreet and hilarity ensued.

I'm not proud of it, Overstreet's death was the cutting short of a promising life and he left behind a young son, but I have to admit that the 1984 Ed Hughes League draft will forever live on among our league's treasured moments.

samosa4u 09-08-2019 09:43 AM

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...Xxf/s-l225.jpg

The 1959 General Mills Wheaties cards look awesome! Anyone have a complete set for sale? Send me PM! :)