Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mystery Autograph Help (likely political) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236630)

ATP 03-10-2017 12:09 PM

Mystery Autograph Help (likely political)

2 Attachment(s)
Well, about every six months or so I will pull out autographs I had in a folder that I couldn't identify the first go round. Anyone recognize these six signed index cards? I believe they are likely political, one for sure is a Senator (as noted U.S.S.). If I recall correctly they were in with other Governors, Mayors, etc. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to look and can either comment or PM me if they recognize any. As always, if anyone needs autograph help of their own they can PM or email me any time as I enjoy opining as well :-)
-Jeff

Update: All Have Been Identified

Jacob Javitz
Daniel Inouye (First Row on right)
Abe Fortas (Thanks bgar3)
James Farley (the one in green ink)
William Hathaway
Possibly an early Richard Pryor on the last one

Michael B 03-10-2017 12:39 PM

The signature in green fountain pen is James A. Farley. He was postmaster general during the FDR era and the reason that there were so many good looking stamps produced during that era - National Parks series and others.

First row on the right is Senator Daniel Inouye. He was a U.S. Senator from Hawaii for 49 years and a Medal of Honor Recipient.

The one to the right of Farley looks a bit like Richard Pryor. I thought he always signed "Richard", but the last name looks similar to how he sign it when he was healthy.

ATP 03-10-2017 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the fast help on those two. I will update the first post to reflect the identification. Regarding the Richard Pryor looking one, yes that jogs my memory. I did have him as a possibility for it but put it aside as I wasn't sure and forgot to make a note of it. Here is a scan of the reverse of that one with a collector notation of 1975, along with what looks like a name but I can't read it. Thanks again for the help.

bgar3 03-10-2017 01:22 PM

Abe Fortas

Abe Fortas, associate justice Supreme Court, won the famous right to counsel case, Gideon v. Wainwright.

Michael B 03-10-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 1639647)
Abe Fortas, associate justice Supreme Court, won the famous right to counsel case, Gideon v. Wainwright.

He is also the only Justice to resign for ethics violations in the last 60 years if not the only one ever. I did some legal work a few years ago on some properties he had owned in D.C. He was given a pass on some questionable items on the properties.

Steve D 03-11-2017 12:53 AM

The one at the top left is former US Senator Jacob Javits, from New York.

I believe the fourth one is former US Senator William Hathaway, from Maine.

Steve

MooseDog 03-11-2017 07:33 AM

+1 on Javits, just an FYI, I wrote to a lot of Senators as a kid and for Javits I got three signatures back (two 3x5 and a photo) all were exactly the same and I believe were autopen.

ATP 03-11-2017 10:36 AM

Thanks guys, what a great set of eyes we have here. All of these have been ID'd, just a few left for me in my other post about entertainment autographs now :)