Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hooked on Vinyl (Again) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245927)

RichardSimon 11-16-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedw9 (Post 1720633)
Can’t say I’m a fan Richard, but its cool as hell your daughter purchased that for you. Sounds like she knows her Dad pretty well, which is awesome. Little gifts and connections like that with our kids, no matter their age, is priceless.

My daughter knows I’m back into vinyl, so I’m hoping for a record or two for Christmas.

She knows her dad very well.
And connections like that with her and similar ones with my son are priceless.
And tonite she and I are going to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway.
She is the ticket whisperer :) and keeps getting very tough to get tickets.

RichardSimon 11-16-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1720404)
And look at that band!! Pee Wee Ellis, long time member of James Brown's band. He wrote "In a Cold Sweat" and "Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud". The late Pete Bardens formed a band in the 1960's called Shotgun Express which featured Rod Steward, Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood. He would also record solo and as a member of Camel. Close with Fleetwood who credited him for kickstarting his musical career. Peter Van Hooke was in Mike + the Mechanics for ten years. Bobby Tench was a member of the Jeff Beck Group and Humble Pie.

And do not forget Katie Kissoon on vocals. She has performed with Eric Clapton and many more.
There is a DVD of a Van Morrison concert in Montreaux which has some great moments with Pee Wee Ellis.

LuckyLarry 11-25-2017 06:09 AM

took about 45 minutes to set up!

https://i.imgur.com/OCY6vDLl.jpg

Tedw9 11-25-2017 08:40 PM

Looks good! How does it sound to you?

Yesterday I went to my local record shop for Record Store Day and picked up the just released Queen We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You 12” single.

LuckyLarry 11-26-2017 07:20 AM

It sounds pretty great to me! I heard to get max performance and sound, I may need to add a subwoofer? It looks like this is set up to add a subwoofer if I want as there is a SUB OUT plug on the back of the powered speaker. But I really have no plans to add a subwoofer I am quite happy how it sounds.
I need to sit down and play with the included remote control as I can't seem to get it to work. Also I don't see "KLIPSCH" in my iPhone as a source to play through my new set up using bluetooth as I think was advertised. But I haven't really sat down to figure this all out as I have been to busy playing my records lol!
The only real problem I had was the turntable is turned by this exposed rubber band, and when changing records I knocked it off a few times. Not a real problem to put it back on, and I'm getting better at changing records without knocking off the rubber band.

I heard the record companies are re-releasing albums but I also hard they they are rushing some of these out and the quality is not as good as the originals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedw9 (Post 1723725)
Looks good! How does it sound to you?
Yesterday I went to my local record shop for Record Store Day and picked up the just released Queen We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You 12” single.

Tedw9 11-26-2017 09:23 PM

Do you need an app for to use your phone as a remote? I’m not familiar with them either, but I’m sure you’ll figure it out. You know, as long as your happy with the sound, thats all that matters. The whole exposed rubber belt doesn’t sound right though. Those are usually hidden below the table that holds the record.

Oh yes, rereleasing records is BIG right now. The sales of vinyl have gone up every year for the past 10 years. Black Friday was Record Store Day and they released a bunch of records at record stores, including rereleases. I saw a Doors live album available and I picked up a Queen We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You 12” single. Here’s a link to what was released for Record Store Day.

http://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/558

Ive purchased a few different rereleases and dont have any complaints. They are heavier, usually 180 gram, so I’d assume they hold up better. But Ive had no issues with quality or sound. But then again, Ive only got a few new records, most of mine are older originals.

My wife and I ran into our local Goodwill this morning and I scored a nice set of Bose speakers for $6. My stereo is a Frankenstein system but it sounds pretty sweet. Now it sounds just a little bit better. :D

58pinson 11-27-2017 08:29 AM

OK. I see the Woodstock albums arrayed in front of the setup. Have you listened to Grace Slick do her "morning maniac music, it's a new dawn" intro yet? Have to say Alvin Lee's "I'm Going Home" has always been my favorite track from on the set.

Your reference to a "rubber band" puzzles me a little. Assuming it's a belt driven turntable, but can't visualize how the drive belt can be disturbed when changing a disc. I'm going to look into it only to quiet my own curosity. Like Ted said, what's important is that you are enjoying it.

The new vinyl issues have been running hot and heavy for a few years now. As a vinyl collector since my early 20's who always took excellent care of stuff I thought I might be able to sell off my 1,000 album collection for a fair amount when the time came. But the market dynamic now is many (not all, as some collectors want original) folks will fork over $30 in a heartbeat for a 180 gram reissue and look at you like your Jesse James if you want $10 for the original.

Keep enjoying!

Michael B 11-27-2017 01:39 PM

For those of you interested in vinyl a company issuing new pressings. Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band) is involved with them.

soundofvinyl@umusic.com

barrysloate 11-27-2017 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 58pinson (Post 1724046)
OK. I see the Woodstock albums arrayed in front of the setup. Have you listened to Grace Slick do her "morning maniac music, it's a new dawn" intro yet? Have to say Alvin Lee's "I'm Going Home" has always been my favorite track from on the set.

Your reference to a "rubber band" puzzles me a little. Assuming it's a belt driven turntable, but can't visualize how the drive belt can be disturbed when changing a disc. I'm going to look into it only to quiet my own curosity. Like Ted said, what's important is that you are enjoying it.

The new vinyl issues have been running hot and heavy for a few years now. As a vinyl collector since my early 20's who always took excellent care of stuff I thought I might be able to sell off my 1,000 album collection for a fair amount when the time came. But the market dynamic now is many (not all, as some collectors want original) folks will fork over $30 in a heartbeat for a 180 gram reissue and look at you like your Jesse James if you want $10 for the original.

Keep enjoying!

There is clearly a line between rare albums, and ones in high demand such as the Beatles and Miles Davis, to name two, and the run-of-the-mill ones that collectors don't care about. Most albums clearly have no value and have long fallen out of favor. But show me a nice early pressing of a Miles Davis album with a six-eye Columbia label and I'll assure you you can sell it for good money. Some of the ones on ebay top $100. There is a strong collector market for the right product.

58pinson 11-27-2017 07:17 PM

Barry,

Not a quibble with any of your points. My thought was that sans the re-issues, re-pressings, re-masterings etc. the market for selling original vinyl would be MUCH jucier.