Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Press photos - to sign or not to sign (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131789)

Vintage Yankee 01-08-2011 02:50 PM

Press photos - to sign or not to sign

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 30566

Obviously many of the press photos we on the board collect are of players no longer with us. But in cases where the subjects are still with us, how do fellow board members feel about having vintage photos signed today? Do you prefer to leave them in their original state, or feel that an added signature enhances the overall appeal of a photo? Please feel free to share some sample photos with your post!

Regards,

R.J.

Scott Garner 01-08-2011 09:58 PM

R.J.-
That's a great question! I've pondered that questions like these myself at times and I can tell you that there is no right or wrong answer.
Your photo that you posted is an awesome image and I don't know if I would have that one signed. I love autographs, but my own bias is that I don't love having a vintage item signed with a modern signature. I would consider framing it with a vintage signed album page/cut/index card/GPC of the two players, FWIW. I'm interested to hear how other board members weigh in on this topic.

Good collecting!

Writehooks 01-08-2011 10:15 PM

I pondered this question when I first started taking vintage wire photos to the Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend several years ago. My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition. An added bonus was that when the old fighters were asked to sign, they inevitably had a neat story to tell about what was depicted in the photo. Roberto Duran even asked for a half-dozen copies of an shot of him pummeling Kenny Buchanan ...

Frank A 01-09-2011 08:04 AM

I've had several of them signed. I find that the players love signing them and always have a story about them or of something like them. Interesting for both parties. Frank

Rob D. 01-09-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Writehooks (Post 861447)
My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition.

Excellent suggestion.

drc 01-09-2011 03:13 PM

As a photograph historian, I don't have an issue with them being signed. Clearly, I wouldn't want Pete Rose to sign an 1870s cabinet card, but Sandy Koufax signing a 1960s AP photo sound cool.

This doesn't mean I would chose to have a photo I owned signed or that I think they SHOULD be signed, but I can see the merits in someone going that route. I purchased a few 1940s news photos that were already autographed in a Gaynor auction-- Boo Ferris.

I also won an original 1910s Charles Conlon photo of Joe Wood, more modern signed by Wood on the front and Conlon on the back. Wood personalized it to the famous autograph collector Jeffrey Morey. One of my favorite autographs. The seller, a well known and respected autograph dealer, sold it simply as a Wood autograph, unaware of the significance (and value) of the Conlon stamp on back. The Conlon stamp was worth more than the Wood autograph.

novakjr 01-09-2011 04:36 PM

I'd get something else signed...Probably a ball. Then you'll have 2 great pieces. But then again I'm a ball collector myself.

Other than that, I like Scott Garner's idea of something that can be matted and displayed with the photo. Overall I think Writehook's idea to make a glossy copy of the photo is probably my favorite suggestion..

MacDice 01-09-2011 05:24 PM

Do whatever makes you happy. Collect things that have value to you not what you think will have value in the future if you sell it. To me the hobby is about personal enjoyment not how much of a profit you can get from it down the line.

timzcardz 01-10-2011 06:28 AM

I have had a couple signed and I thnk it adds to the signing experience as the signer enjoys seeing something different.

This is a 1958 WS wirephoto that I picked up about two years ago, that I got autographed by Yogi in November.

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...BerraPafko.jpg

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...Pafko-Back.jpg

Next, Berra on the golf course in Hawaii after the 1955 season. I picked this up at The National this year and I've shown this pic here before, but in November added Yogi's autograph. At 85 years old, Yogi is still a pretty sharp and funny guy. When he saw this picture his eyes lit up and he asked me if I knew who the guys in the picture were. I started right to left with McDougald, Webb, and that I thought the next one looked a lot like him . . . then the gentlemen with him seated to his left chimed in with the last one being Dickey. Yogi pauses and turns to him with this patiently impatient glare, and then says to him "I KNOW you know who they are. I was asking him if he knew they were." With the look on his face, it was pretty funny.

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...bMcDougald.jpg

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...ugald-Back.jpg

thekingofclout 01-10-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 861445)
R.J.-
That's a great question! I've pondered that questions like these myself at times and I can tell you that there is no right or wrong answer.
Your photo that you posted is an awesome image and I don't know if I would have that one signed. I love autographs, but my own bias is that I don't love having a vintage item signed with a modern signature. I would consider framing it with a vintage signed album page/cut/index card/GPC of the two players, FWIW. I'm interested to hear how other board members weigh in on this topic.

Good collecting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Writehooks (Post 861447)
I pondered this question when I first started taking vintage wire photos to the Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend several years ago. My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition. An added bonus was that when the old fighters were asked to sign, they inevitably had a neat story to tell about what was depicted in the photo. Roberto Duran even asked for a half-dozen copies of an shot of him pummeling Kenny Buchanan ...

Being a photograph collector, I almost always value the content of the photo over the signature on it. So I completely concur with both of these suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDice (Post 861606)
Do whatever makes you happy. Collect things that have value to you not what you think will have value in the future if you sell it. To me the hobby is about personal enjoyment not how much of a profit you can get from it down the line.

But Mike's comment is absolutely spot-on. Stick to his words and you can't go wrong!