Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Opinion on Pee Wee Reese Please (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264306)

mr2686 01-08-2019 09:58 AM

Opinion on Pee Wee Reese Please

1 Attachment(s)
This one has some of the indicators I look for in a good Reese, but the R is really throwing me off. Is this just a bad day in relation to the R, or just a bat autograph? Opinions are really appreciated.

mr2686 01-09-2019 01:06 PM

98 views and nobody has an opinion?

bbcard1 01-09-2019 01:18 PM

I would have a hard time imagining someone forging a Reese signature as he was an accommodating signer, but the R is certainly off.

Yastrzemski Sports 01-09-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1843946)
98 views and nobody has an opinion?

I don’t know why anyone would post here looking for an autograph opinion. I’m not an expert in authentication or forensic studies. If you get a reply, you have no idea who is giving their opinion or if it’s accurate. To me, from the small portion I can see, it looks like it’s preprinted on the piece but it’s hard to tell anything from a photo. I would hate to weigh in on a topic and have someone make a financial decision based on my opinion. There are quick opinion services for this reason.

shelly 01-09-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1843989)
I don’t know why anyone would post here looking for an autograph opinion. I’m not an expert in authentication or forensic studies. If you get a reply, you have no idea who is giving their opinion or if it’s accurate. To me, from the small portion I can see, it looks like it’s preprinted on the piece but it’s hard to tell anything from a photo. I would hate to weigh in on a topic and have someone make a financial decision based on my opinion. There are quick opinion services for this reason.

Why did you come on this site. If opinions don't matter then you should go and hustle the quick opinion site somewhere else.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

111gecko 01-09-2019 05:13 PM

Opinion

I would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the TPG. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.

Quote:

ChiSoxTony 01-09-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 1844002)
I would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the TPG. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.

I second that. This site is full of helpful, knowledgeable folks. I appreciate them. Lots of people here who are giving back to the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitehse 01-09-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

I would take the opinion of several people from this board before I would take the opinion of PSA, JSA and most other third party authentication.

As a wise old man once told me when I was much younger than I am today....."sit down, shut up and observe. When you have as much experience as these others, then you can offer your opinions".

Yastrzemski Sports 01-09-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 1844005)
I would take the opinion of several people from this board before I would take the opinion of PSA, JSA and most other third party authentication.

As a wise old man once told me when I was much younger than I am today....."sit down, shut up and observe. When you have as much experience as these others, then you can offer your opinions".

You can gather all of the opinions you like. If the tpa won’t authenticate you might as well throw it out. I don’t want anyone to think that I am disrespectful of their knowledge or expertise, but if I want to sell an item I can’t show the buyer this thread as proof of authenticity.

As the umpire said - it’s nothing til I call it.

parker1b2 01-09-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 1844002)
i would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the tpg. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.

+1000

mr2686 01-09-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Actually, quite a few of us have been around here for many years, and we often exchange our expertise when someone has a question. Many times, it has more to do with if anyone has seen a verified authentic autograph that has the same characteristics...in this case, the R in Reese (I asked the question because I had not although I felt there were several parts of the autograph that matched very well with one's I've received in person).
By the way, it in no way looks like it's preprinted by the photo I included.

SetBuilder 01-10-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1843603)
This one has some of the indicators I look for in a good Reese, but the R is really throwing me off. Is this just a bad day in relation to the R, or just a bat autograph? Opinions are really appreciated.

Avoid.

It has the general shape of a Reese but that blue marker is terrible. I can't gauge the speed of the writing because the letters look blurred together and there is no variation in line thickness. It could have been signed slowly and there would be no way to tell for sure with that pen.

I recommend you find a nice signature penned with a thin ballpoint pen or fountain pen.

mr2686 01-10-2019 08:01 AM

Thanks Manny, and everyone that took the time to answer. Yeah, normally I would have just passed immediately on this one due to the R and what Manny said about the thick sharpie (a problem I've seen on more than a couple Reeses) and the fact I have plenty of other in-person Reese sigs in my collection, but this one just happened to be on a magazine I needed. Would have really liked to have added it, but like anything else, another one will probably come down the road in the future.

bigtrain 01-11-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1844023)
You can gather all of the opinions you like. If the tpa won’t authenticate you might as well throw it out. I don’t want anyone to think that I am disrespectful of their knowledge or expertise, but if I want to sell an item I can’t show the buyer this thread as proof of authenticity.

As the umpire said - it’s nothing til I call it.

I understand Adam's point. While I trust many opinions here more than the well known TPAs, I may not want to limit my market to only the smartest, most knowledgeable collectors. The average Joe Schmoe collector doesn't know most of the folks here but know only the big three TPAs. If I am buying, I would trust opinions here but if I am selling, I need a TPA unless I am selling to a Net 54 guy. I don't agree with "you might as well throw it out" but then I am not in the business. I am just a collector.

Republicaninmass 01-11-2019 07:45 PM

In my limited experience, people talk a big game when it comes to the authenticators and knowledge on the board. When it comes to reselling, nobody wants anything but a TPG. That's why it's the first question they ask.

Will you guarantee it will pass?

Not even if it's real or not, they dont care, as long as a tpg says it good

SetBuilder 01-12-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1844532)
Not even if it's real or not, they dont care, as long as a tpg says it good

This has been known for a very long time, but it's the kind of statement that goes unsaid.

The reality is, for a lot of autographs, the authenticity will never be known. It's like asking what happened before the big bang, or if there's intelligent life outside of the solar system. It's the kind of question that will never have an answer.

So it's better to just believe it's real if it looks real. If enough people believe it's real, then it is. You don't even need 50% of the market to think it's authentic, because the other 50% that doesn't, won't bid or buy it anyway. A bidding war only needs two believers with deep pockets.

thetruthisoutthere 01-12-2019 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my PeeWee Reese.

Attachment 340390

Republicaninmass 01-12-2019 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a vintage one for ya

egri 01-12-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1843949)
I would have a hard time imagining someone forging a Reese signature as he was an accommodating signer, but the R is certainly off.

I've seen a forged Bobby Doerr posted here before, so anything is possible.

icollectDCsports 01-12-2019 07:27 PM

I don't have any opinion about the Reese autograph, but I would just note that many folks here aren't looking for an opinion for resale purposes but to help make a decision about purchasing something for their collection. Or they already have an auto in their collection that they have questions about and would like to determine authenticity. Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.

Republicaninmass 01-12-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1844822)
Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.

It's amazing they can tell some autos in a heartbeat if it's good or not, and sometimes even who the forger was, or where it came from! I've definately relied in a few members here for stuff just too esoteric for my knowledge

Stampsfan 01-13-2019 01:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by setbuilder (Post 1844633)
...the reality is, for a lot of autographs, the authenticity will never be known. It's like asking what happened before the big bang, or if there's intelligent life outside of the solar system. It's the kind of question that will never have an answer...

Attachment 340409

Attachment 340410

I'm not so sure how much intelligent life exists within our own solar system.

Case12 01-13-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1844822)
I don't have any opinion about the Reese autograph, but I would just note that many folks here aren't looking for an opinion for resale purposes but to help make a decision about purchasing something for their collection. Or they already have an auto in their collection that they have questions about and would like to determine authenticity. Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.

+++1

Huysmans 01-13-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1844855)
Attachment 340409

Attachment 340410

I'm not so sure how much intelligent life exists within our own solar system.

+1 especially currently...