Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Selling Golf Clubs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207961)

frankbmd 06-27-2015 07:12 AM

Selling Golf Clubs

No I don't have any golf clubs for sale, but merely a comment or two about golf club marketing.

Obsolescence - The major manufacturers produce a new line of golf clubs every year and sometimes more than one. They try to convince you each year that the clubs you bought 1-3 years ago are obsolete. Clubs that sold for $500 2-3 years ago can usually be purchased new for less than half of that if you can find them and have the patience to wait.

Performance - Distance is the chief selling point in new drivers. Each year the new driver is at least 10 yards longer than last year's model. In 1995 my average drive was 220 yards. For the last twenty years I have faithfully purchased the "new" driver. Now in 2015 my average drive is 420 yards.
My 420 yard drives unfortunately have caused my handicap to increase, because now I am able to hit the ball deeper into the woods.:rolleyes:
Actually I prefer to use a demo driver for several weeks (or months) each year and with an adequate trial on the course have been generally convinced that it is no better than my old one.;)

Gimmicks - This is what I call the selling point "shift". Each year the "new" club features revolutionary new technology that addresses some aspect of ball flight. Each year it is a different argument without reference to the selling point of last year's club. One year it's all about optimizing your "launch angle", the next year your club face has to have a better "coefficient of restitution" (and still be legal), the next year it's all about controlling the "spin" that club imparts on the ball, and then you need a larger "sweet spot" and so forth and so on.

Demo Days - Go to your driving range on demo days to try out the "new" clubs. Invariably, if you stay long enough, you will find a club that seemingly works for you. You hit 20 shots in a row more consistently than you ever have in your life and you order the club. Once your payment has been made and the club is in your bag, it will never perform that well again.

Doesn't it make sense that if the revolutionary new advance in a golf club's design is truly revolutionary, that that club would serve you well for far more than one year?

Actually I do have some golf clubs for sale. I bought a new putter on Ebay last year for $9 (with a few Ebay bucks thrown in) and I am putting better than ever. A friend of mine bought a new driver last year at one of those demo days. Six weeks later he didn't like it and bought the previous year's model. He gave me the current year's model. It really isn't any better than my 6 year old model, but I now have a larger sweet spot, better launch angle and my coefficient of restitution is almost illegal, and I know that when my ball is headed over the "out of bounds" stake that it is not spinning as much as it used to.:)

Leon 06-27-2015 08:40 AM

You could substitute "Senior Softball Bat" for clubs and it's the same exact thing. Last years long Mikan Ultra II is this years Dudley end loaded. Of course I had to get a Dudley a few weeks ago. First times out I am doing better.....who knows?

GoldenAge50s 06-27-2015 09:35 AM

Being a regular weekly hacker I can appreciate everything you say Frank! Every year I think I should buy a new driver & every yr they go up $25 more!

Still using my 4 yr old demo Cobra I got for little of nothing & it serves me well! My breathing is too bad to chase 400 yard drives anyhow!

billyb 07-09-2015 05:58 PM

I have had the same Tommy Armour irons and Taylor made Driver the last 15 years or more.
If it works, why change.
Frank, you are right. Too many golfers fall for their advertisement "traps". In my league, I know at least two guys that have to have the most recent driver out there. That is crazy. They can take their new drivers and , adjust the angle, redistribute the weight, and who knows what else.
Maybe when one chunks a shot, the demo clubs take a larger divot.

Bocabirdman 07-14-2015 02:50 PM

I haven't used a driver to reach the clown's mouth or ricochet through the windmill. Do you think it would help?

Paul S 07-16-2015 08:13 AM

Easy answer

That would depend on the make/model of vehicle the driver drives. No?