Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Here is a can of worms....If I owned the forum I would.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240276)

Leon 05-27-2017 08:30 AM

Here is a can of worms....If I owned the forum I would....

I saw this question on another forum and thought it would be good here too.
This should be interesting. Anything except banning me is acceptable, though I guess that is an acceptable suggestion, it probably won't happen. I have an idea of some of the responses but we'll see.... SO-

If I owned the forum I would_____________

Jim65 05-27-2017 08:32 AM

If I owned the forum I would.. leave it as is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-27-2017 08:35 AM

If I owned the forum, I would hand the reigns off to Leon.

Leon 05-27-2017 08:37 AM

You are biased because of "the" thread. :)
:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1665068)

ullmandds 05-27-2017 08:38 AM

enforce the forum rules unilaterally(yes i meant uniformly)...not selectively.

Peter_Spaeth 05-27-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1665070)
enforce the forum rules unilaterally...not selectively.

I think you mean uniformly lol.

T206Collector 05-27-2017 08:42 AM

...simplify it and organize it more efficiently, more like the original Network54 template -- fewer graphics, less clickable options. There is a lot of peripheral noise most of us never click through. Messaging is also overly technical.

barrysloate 05-27-2017 08:42 AM

Ban everyone.

Leon 05-27-2017 08:46 AM

I am waiting to see how says anything negative and they will all be summarily banned. This is really just a set up. :D

How can you not be in a good mood listening to this as we chat on the board?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmeOgBdBzg

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1665075)
Ban everyone.

pawpawdiv9 05-27-2017 08:46 AM

1. impose a fee/subscription
2. weekly/monthly contest
3. card raffles/giveaways
4. coupons to VCP, grading tpg's, magazines & beer etc.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-27-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1665069)
You are biased because of "the" thread. :)
:)

No I seriously think you do a great job. F the haters and cry babies. You da man Stan.

BobbyVCP 05-27-2017 08:56 AM

It is impossible to make everyone happy on any forum...as long as the majority is pleased then you are doing a fantastic job.

As someone mentioned giving out VCP coupons...think I can help in that department.

barrysloate 05-27-2017 08:58 AM

My post was just a joke, fake news if you will. Two things I would do:

I would not allow personal attacks on the board and would be quick to ban the various posters who troll internet sites just to cause trouble.

Also, since a lot of time and effort was put into constructing this board, I would make sure posts were put in their proper section. If someone asked a question about the 1981 Billy Ripken card on the main board, I would move it to its proper place. There really isn't any need for off topic posts, because we have a section for pretty much anything.

Mdmtx 05-27-2017 09:21 AM

I would tone down the inflammatory posts with whatever means necessary. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. And most of the posts revolve around money in some way or another, the inflammatory posts turn people off. To get the money, we need growth in the hobby and new blood. The petty bickering and backstabbing turn me off and many others as well. However, I guess there are some that relish in it...

Mark

Section103 05-27-2017 09:32 AM

I wouldnt change much at all. If it aint broke dont fix it, indeed.

One ticky tacky thing I would do would be to move up the Post War Discussion board on the home page so that its in the same section with the Pre War Discussion board and Memorabilia page.

I feel like the Post War board gets lost way down there and that ultimately impedes traffic and growth of that board. I know there is an emphasis on this being a PRE War board, but I think separating the POST War board from stuff like Modern and Golf would put an nice in-between step to help emphasize VINTAGE.

JoeyFarino 05-27-2017 09:35 AM

Get rid of the soccer/cricket card section and replace it with a photo section. Who the hell collects cricket cards...lol

familytoad 05-27-2017 09:37 AM

Drama

1 Attachment(s)
More cards, less drama!

I am not a big fan of censorship, nor banning folks for opinions.
This board's policy of putting your real name by your post helps a lot, but it still doesn't stop a lot of negativity , or in some cases idiocy. Maybe karma will do that for us someday.

I might pull all the dumb eBay listings into its own category, but since I already know that site is replete with foolishness, I ignore all the posts calling out a stupid eBay seller with fake Wagner cards or whatever.

Ignoring posts that you aren't interested in is surprisingly easy...yet we have too many guys posting in them!

(Tongue in cheek, a tutorial on how NOT to click on a thread only to complain about that thread would be very useful :eek:)

More cards. I like seeing high dollar, big name cards...but I like ordinary, well worn cards too...show them and talk about them!

This card isn't worn, nor ordinary...its COOL.
Discuss....

samosa4u 05-27-2017 09:44 AM

I know this forum is very popular among baseball collectors, but it is lacking in the others areas such as hockey, basketball, etc. You need to try to reach out to these collectors in order to grow your forum. Try to advertise in magazines (Beckett, card show magazines, SMR, etc.) and online. Also, the companies that advertise on this site should put a Net54baseball banner on their sites.

Griffins 05-27-2017 09:48 AM

I'd run an annual poll like VCBC used to have.

TUM301 05-27-2017 09:52 AM

Sell shares !

KMayUSA6060 05-27-2017 10:09 AM

1. Have advertisers distribute exclusive Net54 coupons/discounts.
2a. Maybe organize the sections a bit better, with more detailed titles.
2b. Maybe add some more sections? A contest section comes to mind.
3. Allow political talk. ;)

jfkheat 05-27-2017 10:11 AM

Add some type of feedback system for sellers and buyers.
James

BeanTown 05-27-2017 10:14 AM

Every year do a poll rating all the auction houses. Make the poll like consumer reports and make it extensive. It used to be done in a publication (forgot which one) back in the early 2000s.

Maybe some kind of a photo gallery for every card of every issue. This might become the master gallery for the entire hobby to use if we all contributed to it.

Set up a fantasy section for discussion. Yes, I'm a fantasy guy.

Add Postcards to a header in the BST area. Done

Thecafewha 05-27-2017 10:20 AM

Maybe have "verified" users, who are know to others, trusted, history of positive transactions.

I also prefer this board as a place I don't get overloaded with modern stuff (although I know this threshold and era is different for each of us.)

I use the Tapatalk app and feel everything is well organized.

Honestly, keep it going Leon. This is by far my favorite forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BengoughingForAwhile 05-27-2017 10:22 AM

Officially change the name of the site to "Chat 54". I always liked that name better. :)
Or maybe "Club 54" to attract more hot babes to the site. :D Advertise on Match.com with photos of all the hot, studly men of Net 54. :eek:

TUM301 05-27-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile (Post 1665109)
Officially change the name of the site to "Chat 54". I always liked that name better. :)
Or maybe "Club 54" to attract more hot babes to the site. :D Advertise on Match.com with photos of all the hot, studly men of Net 54. :eek:

Of course, an official "Net54" 12 month calendar featuring pictures submitted by members "significant others". Everyone knows sites like ours attract all the best beefcake. We`d sell 1000`s ................................... !

Econteachert205 05-27-2017 10:50 AM

If I owned the forum I would sell it.

Tennis13 05-27-2017 11:12 AM

1). I would form a volunteer board of advisors that meets annually to discuss business development, past year's financials, best practices and issues that arose in the past year, and future growth plans. Hold it at the National each year. That way there is some outside viewpoints from passionate users that value the site.

2). Take a look at the web stats and see if the hierarchy needs to be changed a bit. On the surface it seems nearly everything outside of B/S/T defaults to vintage, and some parts of this site in modern or other sports that could be very beneficial sort of get ignored. Maybe have a bin of "All New Posts" and you click there and it links to the actual thread on the sub-forum. Maybe have that with radio box filters on top so you could filter it out by sub-forum to have a personalized "New Post" feed.

3). You all do a great job of flagging auctions, but perhaps from a rev perspective building an auction scanner of some sort may be $$$$$ beneficial to net54. So Net54 member says "I am looking for the following 10 cards" and all the auction houses that sponsor Leon's site have their auctions able to be parsed over by a computer code that alerts the Net54 member to his wishlist being sold at REA or Heritage or some really sort of esoteric auction that he may otherwise miss. This would only work for people that advertise here, so it's pay to play, but the hit rate would be higher because we are actionable buyers for the most part. So beneficial for auctioneers, buyers and site owner. I know this already "exists" but why not incorporate it somehow and monetize a bit for your personal good?

ullmandds 05-27-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1665119)
If I owned the forum I would sell it.

Would have sold for supposed $600K you mean!!!!

frankbmd 05-27-2017 11:32 AM

If I owned the forum, I would trade it for a '52 Mantle. Come on, boys.:D

Cliff Bowman 05-27-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1665104)

NO.

ullmandds 05-27-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1665127)
If I owned the forum, I would trade it for a '52 Mantle. Come on, boys.:D

i'd rather have a piss poor wags!!!!!

TheNightmanCometh 05-27-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

NO!!!!

Snapolit1 05-27-2017 12:09 PM

The first board should be called General Discussion, the second Pre War, the third Post War. So when you post a general interest comment on the first board the self appointed policing force doesn't get anguished that you are not taking about T cards.

ibuysportsephemera 05-27-2017 12:16 PM

Not much...you do a great job Leon.

The only suggestion is to add an emoji when you bookmark the site (I have a Mac and use Firefox). This is the only bookmarked site on my toolbar that doesn't have a little picture to identify it.

Jeff

Stonepony 05-27-2017 12:27 PM

Reinstate Wonka

sushihotwings 05-27-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1665141)
The first board should be called General Discussion, the second Pre War, the third Post War. So when you post a general interest comment on the first board the self appointed policing force doesn't get anguished that you are not taking about T cards.

I like this. Also, with the growing interest and popularity of basketball and hockey, it would be nice to have their own sections in my opinion.

Vintagevault13 05-27-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1665141)

+1

mechanicalman 05-27-2017 12:55 PM

I would create a separate BST section for cards valued at $1000 or more in attempt to promote more collector to collector transactions that don't cost $200+ in fees.

I would also make that section just for selling so WTB posts don't get in the way of people actually selling stuff.

drcy 05-27-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1665068)

+1

mechanicalman 05-27-2017 12:57 PM

Oh, and I would charge dealers a nominal fee for posting WTB posts.

samosa4u 05-27-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyFarino (Post 1665097)
Get rid of the soccer/cricket card section and replace it with a photo section. Who the hell collects cricket cards...lol

Cricket = yes, soccer = NO! There are some very popular (and expensive) soccer cards out there. Some of the Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, etc. rookies are selling for thousands (research it). The soccer card market is growing. Obviously it will never be anything like the big three (baseball, American football and basketball), but there will always be demand for the stars, especially their rookies.

Quote:

Bad idea. If people on this forum fight like crazy over cardboard, then what do you think will happen if we all start discussing politics? :eek::eek:

EvilKing00 05-27-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyFarino (Post 1665097)

Never noticed this section lol

brianp-beme 05-27-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1665166)
Never noticed this section lol

The cricket section is the area where the sound of crickets are heard.

I would get rid of me just because of this pointless comment.

Brian

howard38 05-27-2017 01:26 PM

I'd make thumbs up and thumbs down tabs so we wouldn't have to make an entire post just to type +1.

tribefan 05-27-2017 01:27 PM

Make it a requirement for bst sellers to have their names listed. And prices. And scans:)

Rookiemonster 05-27-2017 01:35 PM

In all honesty I couldn't do it any better

But I wouldn't mind seeing the contest include cards besides prewar/ baseball. Maybe some football,postwar, and even modern.

Also how about a hot or not list ? For cards or sets that are on the up tick or down tick. Like the Cracker Jack sets would be hot now. But we could have seen it climbing. I remember when I first joined there was a tread about buying the greeen t206 Cobb and Lou Gehrigs rookie. We all know that those thread proved to be correct.

I also like the thumbs up idea or down. ����

clydepepper 05-27-2017 01:46 PM

I would limit the back-and-forth squabbles between two individual members so that no particular thread gets bogged down by such inane stuff.

I would create a separate area for supposedly 'non-BST' transactions other than the main page - though I do realize that I do not ever have to open "the thread" anyway.

Thank goodness we don't have to try to save cyberspace like we have trees (i.e. 'going green') - so, as inappropriate as I find that particular "the thread" to be, it probably doesn't matter that much...and, yes, I have taken my medication. :eek:

Paul S 05-27-2017 01:50 PM

Ban the bomb!

vintagerookies51 05-27-2017 03:37 PM

I was going to say nothing, but I like the idea of some kind of feedback system. I think the large majority of members are solid, trustworthy people and I've never had any problems but it wouldn't hurt