Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wavey PSA Flips (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130270)

Sand Lot 11-29-2010 07:53 AM

Wavey PSA Flips

I was scaning my graded cards yesterday and noticed a lot of them have wavey flips inside. I keep my cards in a fire proof safe in four sheet binders. They almost look like they came in contact with some moisture some way. I have seen some returned from PSA that were a little wavey but I did not think I had that many with wavey flips in the holders. I was wondering is this normal and nothing to worry about.

Peter_Spaeth 11-29-2010 07:58 AM

I recall having had a bunch of those a few years back. I wouldn't worry about it.

dstraate 11-29-2010 08:22 AM

I just picked up a T206 on ebay and the flip was very wavy as well. Not as nice to look at, but nothing to worry about

Sand Lot 11-29-2010 09:15 AM

Wavey PSA Flips

Thanks for the feedback, it seems odd that one of the top grading companys can't get a flip inside a plastic holder to keep it from looking that way. Does SGC have this problem, can't tell from most of the pictures I see of their flips.

Peter_Spaeth 11-29-2010 09:24 AM

SGC has had other issues with its flips such as the numbers being partially cut off. I have not seen any wavy ones.

Matthew H 11-29-2010 11:08 AM

One problem I've had with SGC holders is having the card get stuck behind the black mating. I even had a card that seemed larger than the mating they put in there, that card actually never fit the holder! I am not sure that this would damage the card; however, it's annoying.

teetwoohsix 11-29-2010 11:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Maloney has a wavy flip........the Taylor has a wavy slab :eek::confused:

CW 11-29-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand Lot (Post 851298)
I was scaning my graded cards yesterday and noticed a lot of them have wavey flips inside. I keep my cards in a fire proof safe in four sheet binders. They almost look like they came in contact with some moisture some way. I have seen some returned from PSA that were a little wavey but I did not think I had that many with wavey flips in the holders. I was wondering is this normal and nothing to worry about.

I think the wavey flips are caused by moisture. I was also keeping my
graded cards in a Sentry fireproof safe, and noticed some of the paper
documents that I also had in the safe (birth certificate, etc) felt quite
damp. Turns out the fire retardant that they use can generate moisture.

One messageboard recommended keeping your documents (or slabs in
this case) inside ziploc baggies. Now I have my stacks of graded cards
double-bagged in ziploc baggies to prevent their exposure to mositure in
the safe.

lhoyle 11-29-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info on this - all of the documents in my safe always smelt musty - now I know the cause.

I'll be going to the Mega-Lo-Mart tonight to pick up all sorts of ziploc bags now.

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 851343)
I think the wavey flips are caused by moisture. I was also keeping my
graded cards in a Sentry fireproof safe, and noticed some of the paper
documents that I also had in the safe (birth certificate, etc) felt quite
damp. Turns out the fire retardant that they use can generate moisture.

One messageboard recommended keeping your documents (or slabs in
this case) inside ziploc baggies. Now I have my stacks of graded cards
double-bagged in ziploc baggies to prevent their exposure to mositure in
the safe.

canjond 11-29-2010 04:40 PM

You can purchase moisture removers for safes. I use this one (available for under $10 shipped on eBay):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gun-Rifle-Ammuni...item439815cee2

I believe they are made for gun safes where the metal on the guns can rust easily. However, I have not heard there is any issue using them in safes where you store documents or cards.

The nice thing about the one I pictured above is that the crystals that remove the moisture can be re-charged, so it is essentially good for life.

shaunsteig 11-29-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teetwoohsix (Post 851340)
The Maloney has a wavy flip........the Taylor has a wavy slab :eek::confused:

the wavy slab -- I've actually been wondering about that. is it cause the card was encapsulated with its mylar sleeve inside the holder?

teetwoohsix 11-30-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunsteig (Post 851515)
the wavy slab -- I've actually been wondering about that. is it cause the card was encapsulated with its mylar sleeve inside the holder?

I wish I knew, but there doesn't appear to be a sleeve inside. I bought it like this, and have never sent in cards to PSA for grading. But I have seen other PSA slabs like this. I don't like it........but I like the card inside the slab :)

Clayton