Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Email Warning: Don't Open any email with the title "Rob Buy" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116255)

Anthony S. 09-24-2009 10:16 AM

Email Warning: Don't Open any email with the title "Rob Buy"

I received an email from the Hotmail account of a fellow Net54 member this morning with the subject title "Rob Buy." I opened it and there was no message, however I immediately noticed that my "contacts" list was suddenly unavailable. I ran a google search for "Rob Buy spam" and apparently this email hijacks your contacts list and sends emails to others on your list. Has anyone else had this problem?

edited to add: Lest I sound like a complete crank, here's a link to Windows Live Help link discussing the issue.

http://windowslivehelp.com/community...25/344554.aspx

Jantz 09-24-2009 10:38 AM

Hi Anthony

I have not had this happen, but last night I was on the BST and click on a link to look at some scans of baseball cards that a board member had for sale. The link took me to photobucket. I was looking at a scan after I hit the enlarge button and then something started instantly downloading into my computer. Long story short, my computer went haywire and now I'm having problems with it. This is the second time I've gotten on Photobucket then had problems with my computer. The last time (2 months ago), I had to have my computer completely restored. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I'm heading to the computer store to talk to their technician right now.

Leon 09-24-2009 11:21 AM

I got it too

I got that email and saw it was an executable file and deleted it immediately. I think it's a conspiracy.

Jim VB 09-24-2009 11:26 AM

When you guys got that email, did either of you go outside, and look up into the southern sky?

I didn't think so.

Rob D. 09-24-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 751877)
Hi Anthony

I have not had this happen, but last night I was on the BST and click on a link to look at some scans of baseball cards that a board member had for sale. The link took me to photobucket. I was looking at a scan after I hit the enlarge button and then something started instantly downloading into my computer. Long story short, my computer went haywire and now I'm having problems with it. This is the second time I've gotten on Photobucket then had problems with my computer. The last time (2 months ago), I had to have my computer completely restored. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I'm heading to the computer store to talk to their technician right now.

Jantz,

I had nearly the exact same thing you describe happen to me about 6-8 months ago. Since then, I've been wary of clicking on links to PhotoBucket.

Rob

Anthony S. 09-24-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim VB (Post 751895)
When you guys got that email, did either of you go outside, and look up into the southern sky?

I didn't think so.

Oh, they don't let me outside anymore, Jim.

Jim VB 09-24-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony S. (Post 751900)
Oh, they don't let me outside anymore, Jim.

Understandable.

Jim VB 09-24-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 751897)
Jantz,

I had nearly the exact same thing you describe happen to me about 6-8 months ago. Since then, I've been wary of clicking on links to PhotoBucket.

Rob

What? No witty barbs? No shot at "you know who"? Must be a busy day at work.

Edited to add: Does this mean I have to stop trusting my own Photobucket account?

slidekellyslide 09-24-2009 04:37 PM

On another note I received an email that appeared to be from a Net54 member saying that he commented on my facebook or something like that, when I opened the email it tried to infect me with a virus, but my Norton caught it.

Jim VB 09-24-2009 04:46 PM

Serious question. (I know. A rarity for me.)

Did these pseudo emails look like they came directly from Net54 members or did they look like they came through the Net54 email system?

Anthony S. 09-24-2009 04:57 PM

Jim, The email I received was from someone I did a deal with a couple months back, so my email address was in his contact list. It was from his Hotmail address, not the Net54 system. I should have made that clear in my initial post. Obviously, this bug/trojan/whatever hijacked his contact list and sent these emails out. I've since changed my email password just in case. My contact list is back and everything is running smoothly. The only connection to Net54 was that this was a fellow member I had done business with. I know he's done trades/bought from others, so that's why I started this thread.

calvindog 09-24-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 751935)
On another note I received an email that appeared to be from a Net54 member saying that he commented on my facebook or something like that, when I opened the email it tried to infect me with a virus, but my Norton caught it.

Rats..foiled again.

Jantz 09-24-2009 09:04 PM

Jim VB - Rob.D and I are both Ohioians. We follow a secret code of never using our sarcasm against other Ohioians. The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.:eek:

As far as the Photobucket question, I'm not sure. I also have a Photobucket account and have never had a problem. Only when I click onto someone else's photo album do I get problems. If the link would have been labeled as a Photobucket link I would have stayed away. I spoke with a tech earlier today and he explained some things to me. One thingis for sure, it has happened twice now and the repairs are getting costly.

Anthony - I'm glad everything worked out fine for you. My situation is going to cost me.

Jantz

Matt 09-24-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 751988)
The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.:eek:

What does it mean that I pay yearly for that penalty?

Jantz 09-24-2009 09:13 PM

Just a little Ohio humor thats all Matt. I watch and root for them too. Just wish they would win a few more.

Jantz

Matt 09-24-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 751990)
Just a little Ohio humor thats all Matt. I watch and root for them too. Just wish they would win a few more.

Jantz - I know it all too well. Anyone want Browns/Jaguars tickets in January? I'll sell them at face... :(

Jim VB 09-24-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 751988)
Jim VB - Rob.D and I are both Ohioians. We follow a secret code of never using our sarcasm against other Ohioians. The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.:eek:

As far as the Photobucket question, I'm not sure. I also have a Photobucket account and have never had a problem. Only when I click onto someone else's photo album do I get problems. If the link would have been labeled as a Photobucket link I would have stayed away. I spoke with a tech earlier today and he explained some things to me. One thingis for sure, it has happened twice now and the repairs are getting costly.

Anthony - I'm glad everything worked out fine for you. My situation is going to cost me.

Jantz

I'm a closet Ohioan. I lived outside Columbus from 1995-2005. I did like Ohio, a lot. But the weather is better in Texas. (It was COLD here this morning! 58 degrees! Coldest overnight low since may 11th! It was on all the local morning newcasts.)

Pup6913 09-25-2009 08:01 AM

Anthony this happened a few days ago I opened a similar email from a freind I had not talked to in a while. It was blank. The next day all of you and my entire contact list got similar emails but titled different. I have run the virus protection sweep and changed the password on my account to hinder further problems. If any of you get an email from me titled anything other than sports related delete it. I will contact through the board first before I email you. I am sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.

Andrew

4815162342 09-25-2009 11:50 AM

Try using Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ to clean up any virus/spyware problems. I've used it for a few years now and it does a great job.

wrapperguy 09-26-2009 09:24 PM

Buy a Mac!

I have had none of those problems after switching to a Mac.

Jantz 09-26-2009 10:07 PM

Thanks Daryl. I downloaded it and ran it thru my PC

I hear you, Jeff. I am considering that.

Jantz