Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Montero for Pineda, big trade of young kids (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146139)

dabigyankeeman 01-14-2012 06:48 AM

Montero for Pineda, big trade of young kids

So the Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos.

I have mixed emotions, Pineda is young and good, but i hope the Yankees havent given up the next great right-handed hitter in baseball in Montero. Also, Noesi was supposed to be really good. I am not sure how i feel about this trade.

Kuroda was signed too, and he should be good for a year or so, but then will be old and hopefully our young kids will be ready. And hey, with Pineda so young, then why didnt we give our young pitchers a shot?????

You know, so many pitchers look good the first year or two then go downhill, i hope Pineda is the real thing. But i guess no guarantees on Montero either, but i just really have felt that Montero is the next Miguel Cabrera type hitter. Oh well, we shall see down the road. At least the Yankees are showing they did something, and it wasnt signing a monstrously expensive long-term free agent. That can be done next year!!!

Oh well, lets hope Pineda does turn into that ace, that would be great, and he is signed for a low salary too, which helps the Yankees as they are trying to avoid luxury taxes on their payroll.

carrigansghost 01-14-2012 08:55 AM

Think it is an outstanding trade for the Yanks. Pineda will be a great 2-3 starter for years and the low salary is a huge bonus.

This from a Red Sox diehard.

Rawn

D. Bergin 01-14-2012 09:32 AM

I am sad about losing Montero, but you knew it was inevitable. They just didn't have anywhere to put him, and he doesn't appear to be a legitimate catcher.

If he could play a position, I'm sure he would have been untouchable.

Glad they at least got a young stud for him and not some 35 year-old vet coming off the first 1 or 2 good seasons of an injury plagued career.

Runscott 01-14-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 956196)
...and he doesn't appear to be a legitimate catcher.

I know Z is not the greatest GM in baseball, but I sure hope he didn't just trade Pineda for someone who isn't even a legitimate catcher. I don't know much about the Yankee players, but Pineda appeared to be losing his mystique by the second half of the season. I hope the Yankees can work with him, maybe develop a new pitch - he certainly has the fastball and a sometimes controllable slider. I went to every game I could when he was pitching last year - really exciting to watch.

D. Bergin 01-14-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 956214)
I know Z is not the greatest GM in baseball, but I sure hope he didn't just trade Pineda for someone who isn't even a legitimate catcher. I don't know much about the Yankee players, but Pineda appeared to be losing his mystique by the second half of the season. I hope the Yankees can work with him, maybe develop a new pitch - he certainly has the fastball and a sometimes controllable slider. I went to every game I could when he was pitching last year - really exciting to watch.

Yeah, Pineda looks like he slumped at the end of last year, but that's not out of the ordinary for such a young pitcher. He's a big strong guy and Yankees will probably limit his innings for a couple years until he becomes more durable.

Montero will be a helluva hitter. He'll fit in somewhere on that team, even if they have to teach him a new position. Probably valuable enough they won't want to risk him catching anyways.

majordanby 01-15-2012 06:08 PM

if montero is a DH and assuming pineda is a good #2 or #3 type pitcher, the yanks win this trade. i can understand why the mariners did the deal - they need young offensive pieces and have some surplus in pitching.

Robextend 01-15-2012 09:35 PM

I echo some of the sentiments in this thread.

I was certainly sad to see Montero go, because I do think his bat will be a force for many, many years. But if the Yanks truly felt he would never catch, then I understand the deal and hopefully Pineda will blossom into a legit #2.