Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1991 topps glow back (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250808)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-01-2018 10:53 AM

1991 topps glow back

Hey,

I just read a crap load of articles regardining these cards and am still confused. Do these actually have more value than normal backs?

Also, are the ones I photographed glow backs or am I missing something?

I'd love to hear from someone that knows about these.

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/725ivg66.JPG

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/w2tc2h94.JPG

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/0c7dqha5.JPG

Slinger 02-01-2018 11:49 AM

I have the same exact curiosities.

Hoping someone that collects these has some insight.

bnorth 02-01-2018 12:18 PM

I will say I have seen people telling some very interesting stories on eBay selling(or at least trying) these glow back cards at huge premiums.

ALR-bishop 02-01-2018 12:39 PM

Contact the posters Zach Wheat and SteveB, but be careful, judging by this thread they may be contagious

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=Topps+1991

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....991+vatiations

steve B 02-01-2018 06:53 PM

The ones in your pics that are bright orange are the ones.

As far as I know there shouldn't be any value difference. I'd have to look again to be sure, but the box I opened a while back has both types of backs in the same box, and in the same packs.
There are some that react to UV oddly, more of a dark ruby red than anything, but it takes a strong UV source at the right wavelength to spot them. Those seemed to be tougher, but my sample size was only around 4-5000 cards, so a different batch might have a lot more of them.

They're fun, as long as the UV doesn't give you headaches and/or eye damage. I got a bit of a headache after a couple hours. It went away pretty quickly.
I can't really see paying a premium for them, maybe a slight one if I was a player collector who didn't want to search through a bunch of the same card.

jacksoncoupage 02-01-2018 07:17 PM

There are very variations to the UV coating placement. Just borders vs. borders and stat area. I don't recall all the different combinations but some are definitely in shorter supply than others.

Like Steve B said, I have found both types in the same box. My sample size was roughly 8 3200/5000ct boxes and a dozen or so wax, jumbo and rack boxes as well as a few factory sets (they are all glow versions in the xmas set). This is just what I picked up when they were discovered/gaining traction two years ago or so. Across the board, I saw fewer non-glow backs than glow, estimate about 30-40% non glow.

One of the rarest varieties I have found is a non-glow back with a yellowish cardstock (when under the UV lamp).

JoeDfan 02-02-2018 10:29 AM

Really?!?!?!?
Now I have to go back and look for yellow paper under the U/V light?!?!?!?!??

Every time I think I'm out, 1991 Topps pulls me back in!!!!!!!!!!

steve B 02-02-2018 02:59 PM

So I probably shouldn't mention that this happened other years?

The difference isn't as noticeable, but they do have reacting/non-reacting backs for other years.

Rich Klein 02-03-2018 06:43 AM

I'm convinced 1991 Topps were produced in several factories and there are differences. one of the easiest ones to tell is the 40th anniversary logo is either real vibrant or really in the background. There are others as well, including some really obscure Oil Can Boyd variation. More to come

Rich

jacksoncoupage 02-03-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1744563)
I'm convinced 1991 Topps were produced in several factories and there are differences. one of the easiest ones to tell is the 40th anniversary logo is either real vibrant or really in the background. There are others as well, including some really obscure Oil Can Boyd variation. More to come

Rich

The logo only affects A* and B* sheets. Technically. Some cards from other sheets can be found with "partial" bold 40th logos. I have yet to see a true bold 40th logo example of a C* D* E* or F* player.

I think at this point it is 100% certain that Topps used multiple facilities to print the 1991 cards. The changes and corrections to many cards were not linear in the production timeline. For example, one can open a box with the corrected Keith Comstock that also includes the error version of, say, Ron Kittle, while another box may yield the opposite versions.

Rich Klein 02-04-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 1744640)
The logo only affects A* and B* sheets. Technically. Some cards from other sheets can be found with "partial" bold 40th logos. I have yet to see a true bold 40th logo example of a C* D* E* or F* player.

I think at this point it is 100% certain that Topps used multiple facilities to print the 1991 cards. The changes and corrections to many cards were not linear in the production timeline. For example, one can open a box with the corrected Keith Comstock that also includes the error version of, say, Ron Kittle, while another box may yield the opposite versions.

Dylan: Keep sending in those updates; I do my best to get them in the CIOMC DB for you, If something does not get added that you sent; that usually means I could not figure that out. Please feel free to PM here or Send an Email and we'll chat on those few I can't figure out

Rich

drcy 02-04-2018 10:32 PM

Postage stamps have longwave (blacklight) and shorwave uv markers used for automatic sorting and mailing, and there are variations that are collected/valued by stamp collectors. Some of the variations are quite interesting.

steve B 02-05-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1745148)
Postage stamps have longwave (blacklight) and shorwave uv markers used for automatic sorting and mailing, and there are variations that are collected/valued by stamp collectors. Some of the variations are quite interesting.

And, if you're into German stamps, some shades respond to UV, some don't. Some of the shades that do react are hard to find and a handful can be pretty expensive.

I also have a couple foreign stamps that are on paper that reacts, and one on an envelope piece that reacts. That one is from the 1880's.

On a crazy "steve" side not, some early US stamps also have shades that react or not, and I haven't found that listed in any catalog. Collecting is very different from one country to the next, stuff we tolerate is very much looked down on in most of Europe.

Zach Wheat 02-08-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 1744202)
There are very variations to the UV coating placement. Just borders vs. borders and stat area. I don't recall all the different combinations but some are definitely in shorter supply than others.

Like Steve B said, I have found both types in the same box. My sample size was roughly 8 3200/5000ct boxes and a dozen or so wax, jumbo and rack boxes as well as a few factory sets (they are all glow versions in the xmas set). This is just what I picked up when they were discovered/gaining traction two years ago or so. Across the board, I saw fewer non-glow backs than glow, estimate about 30-40% non glow.

One of the rarest varieties I have found is a non-glow back with a yellowish cardstock (when under the UV lamp).

I believe the glow backs are related to specific sheet something was printed on....and therefore you may find a mix of glow backs and non-glow backs in the same box. However, you wouldn't find cards from the same sheet with and without glow backs.

Zach Wheat 02-08-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 1744640)

Regarding the sheet corrections listed above, there was an "A" sheet and an "A*" sheet. The "*" means that original sheet was updated with corrections. A sheet can also have a number of corrections, but they kept the same "A*".

jacksoncoupage 02-08-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 1746264)
Regarding the sheet corrections listed above, there was an "A" sheet and an "A*" sheet. The "*" means that original sheet was updated with corrections. A sheet can also have a number of corrections, but they kept the same "A*".

I haven't seen any cards from this set showing just the sheet letter without an asterisk. Do you have, or can you point me to, an example?