Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tale of Two Green Cobbies(REA) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221806)

ullmandds 04-30-2016 07:12 PM

Tale of Two Green Cobbies(REA)

I was just cruising REA to make sure I'm in where I want to be...and I noticed this oversized green cobby...graded 70 by SGC...and it is a beauty. I was a little shocked by the current price...$22K.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=39535

Moving along...I then came across this green cobby graded ex-mt by PSA...and it is at $14 K.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=39397

I just thought this was...interesting!

nat 04-30-2016 07:19 PM

The centering on the expensive one is better. Don't know that it's a PSA vs SGC thing at all.

CMIZ5290 04-30-2016 07:20 PM

delete..

Stonepony 04-30-2016 07:21 PM

At least a couple bidders have fallen in love with those huge borders, but $22k, yeesh!

Leon 04-30-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1533785)
At least a couple bidders have fallen in love with those huge borders, but $22k, yeesh!

I like the big bordered one twice as much as the psa 6....

And Kevin, don't you think that was kind of a rude comment?

ullmandds 04-30-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1533785)

Maybe someday moneybags Kevin will buy the sgc 70 after it's been cut down to size and reholstered by good old PSA as a 7.

CMIZ5290 04-30-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1533787)
I like the big bordered one twice as much as the psa 6....

And Kevin, don't you think that was kind of a rude comment?

delete...

ullmandds 04-30-2016 07:29 PM

Its Saturday night...FIGHT NIGHT!!!!!!

Leon 04-30-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1533790)
No, I sure as hell don't. This prick sabotages all of my threads. What about his rude comments Leon????

Well, I do.
Yours was a mean comment out of left field. Next time he does that to you PM me. Otherwise, please cut the crap out.

Oh, and I am not stirring the pot, only calling out what I see as unnecessary rudeness.

CMIZ5290 04-30-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1533791)
Its Saturday night...FIGHT NIGHT!!!!!!

delete, thans....

ullmandds 04-30-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1533793)
No, it's ice night. I figured you would already be on the lake....

is that really the best you can do? i'm not even a native minnesotan and I don't fish?

drmondobueno 04-30-2016 07:37 PM

Typical pissy thread on Net54

Thanks for the look-see on my favorite White Border, Peter. Very nice. And I do like the wide bordered card for its registration. Buy the card...

OK, got popcorn, Dots and Dr Pepper. Carry on.

Paul S 04-30-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmondobueno (Post 1533796)
Thanks for the look-see on my favorite White Border, Peter. Very nice. And I do like the wide bordered card for its registration. Buy the card...

OK, got popcorn, Dots and Dr Pepper. Carry on.

Yeah, those big fat borders always slay me.

I got Raisinettes and Mountain Dew. I think someone else brought the bad whiskey.

ullmandds 04-30-2016 07:49 PM

you guys!!!!! i had grilled cheese and bacon sandwhich...and am likely done eating for the night!

ajjohnsonsoxfan 04-30-2016 07:55 PM

thanks for the thread...I noticed the same thing and had the opposite reaction. I thought the oversize borders weren't as attractive. Although I'm not a true t206 guy. Interesting seems like bigger is better eh?

drmondobueno 04-30-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1533801)
you guys!!!!! i had grilled cheese and bacon sandwhich...and am likely done eating for the night!

Leftover ribs, baked beans, slaw and homemade apple sauce, in recognition of the fishing season opener I do not participate in because guys in boats run over guys with fly rods in float tubes.

But the food is good.:D

sgbernard 04-30-2016 08:14 PM

Make that 25k! But I do agree that Cobb is a beautiful card.

philliesphan 05-01-2016 03:57 AM

Closes at nearly $40k w/vig

glynparson 05-01-2016 04:10 AM

I always have to chuckle

I always have to laugh when an SGC card actually outsells a similarly graded PSA card this board often goes crazy promoting the sale but ignores the countless PSA sales that crush SGC numbers every single day. This oversized card probably went to a card doctor and will reemerge the correct size. I hope I am wrong and it was just purchased by a well heeled collector who fell in love with the big borders but I have been around long enough that I am skeptical.

nsaddict 05-01-2016 06:55 AM

The SGC is better visually, but NOT for nearly 2x the price imo.

ullmandds 05-01-2016 07:28 AM

my intent wasn't to start another "discussion" about PSA/SGC so much as to highlight the "large" sums of $$$$$$ difference between similar cards...despite the grade.

but I am sure we will see this card again...and it will be shorter!!!!

e107collector 05-01-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1533932)
my intent wasn't to start another "discussion" about PSA/SGC so much as to highlight the "large" sums of $$$$$$ difference between similar cards...despite the grade.

but I am sure we will see this card again...and it will be shorter!!!!

Pete, BINGO!!

In my opinion, I bet the winner thinks they can trim down the card, and try to get it in a high grade slab. This has never been done before...correct? :)

Tony

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1533897)
I always have to laugh when an SGC card actually outsells a similarly graded PSA card this board often goes crazy promoting the sale but ignores the countless PSA sales that crush SGC numbers every single day. This oversized card probably went to a card doctor and will reemerge the correct size. I hope I am wrong and it was just purchased by a well heeled collector who fell in love with the big borders but I have been around long enough that I am skeptical.

Cynic.:D

pawpawdiv9 05-01-2016 07:45 AM

Well, atleast I know where to put my oversized 'red' cobb double print name, if I were to sell it.

jl9999 05-01-2016 08:42 AM

mmmmmm, the borders on that SGC Cobb are so fat and juicy. Reminds me of a really nice, thick crust pizza:)

Touch'EmAll 05-01-2016 12:57 PM

about the centering

The PSA 6 green Cobb is no better than 80-20 centering bottom/top, maybe even 85-15. Thats the tale for me.

The SGC fat boarder Cobb - question: would it fit in a PSA slab with interior edge grooves? Or they would probably oversize interior pocket it with that extra cello?

CMIZ5290 05-01-2016 04:11 PM

SGC 70 Cobb with borders

In all the years I've been collecting T206s, this SGC 70 green Cobb hands down blows me away the most, mainly because I feel like the card was accurately graded (especially corners). $40K after the juice?? I bet if you had guaranteed the consignor a price of $15K before the auction, he would have been very, very happy. This is just insane to me....

CMIZ5290 05-01-2016 04:55 PM

As far as the card going to a card doctor, I would ask everyone to look at close scans of this card. Corner wear alone was not the reason for the grade. There is a very noticeable spot in the green background, and there appears to be some minor issues on the back. Perhaps very faint paper loss at the bottom? Just saying....4 sharp corners will still have to deal with these things.....Still a very nice card....

pokerplyr80 05-01-2016 05:39 PM

The card was pretty unique. With the prices people pay for various t206 oddities, miscuts, misprints etc., I'm not that surprised this sold at such a high price. It could be one of a kind. I've never seen another green Cobb with huge borders like that. I certainly would expect it to sell for more than an off center psa 6.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1534240)
The card was pretty unique. With the prices people pay for various t206 oddities, miscuts, misprints etc., I'm not that surprised this sold at such a high price. It could be one of a kind. I've never seen another green Cobb with huge borders like that. I certainly would expect it to sell for more than an off center psa 6.

Could be that, or could be someone who thinks they can get it into a significantly higher holder. Think Mastro and the Wagner as purchased from Alan Ray.

Pat R 05-01-2016 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1534208)
As far as the card going to a card doctor, I would ask everyone to look at close scans of this card. Corner wear alone was not the reason for the grade. There is a very noticeable spot in the green background, and there appears to be some minor issues on the back. Perhaps very faint paper loss at the bottom? Just saying....4 sharp corners will still have to deal with these things.....Still a very nice card....

There are several Green Cobb's with the same exact spot including this
PSA 8

pokerplyr80 05-01-2016 06:48 PM

That PSA 8 almost looks like it was cut from the big bordered SGC card. Not a stretch to think another might be. I guess we'll have to watch the population reports in the next few months to see if another high grade Cobb is added.

CMIZ5290 05-01-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 1534265)
There are several Green Cobb's with the same exact spot including this
PSA 8

You're referencing a Harris card? Holy cow....That card is thinner than Barney Fife on a hunger strike....

Pat R 05-01-2016 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1534274)
You're referencing a Harris card? Holy cow....That card is thinner than Barney Fife on a hunger strike....

No I was referring to the spot

CMIZ5290 05-01-2016 07:04 PM

Pat- I was'nt just talking about the print spot. The back of the card had questions towards the bottom of the card. Even having said that, the corners on the card are 5's or 5.5's at best. Again, this card was by far the biggest surprise I have ever seen at auction. The upper left corner and the bottom two corners are slightly rounded!

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2016 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1534274)

Not much different to my eye than this one that everyone here was oohing and aahing about not too long ago.

benchod 05-01-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1534293)
Not much different to my eye than this one that everyone here was oohing and aahing about not too long ago.

That Green Cobb looked noticeably short when it was recently auctioned

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 1534315)
That Green Cobb looked noticeably short when it was recently auctioned

What can I say, most people don't look past the label these days.

Luke 05-01-2016 09:56 PM

Most 8s look like bad hack jobs to me. I don't understand paying a bunch of money for an obviously trimmed card. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Peter_Spaeth 05-02-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeLyon (Post 1534362)
Most 8s look like bad hack jobs to me. I don't understand paying a bunch of money for an obviously trimmed card. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To loosely paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now, if I say that's an 8, Captain, then that's an 8!!

uniship 05-02-2016 06:17 AM

Curios

Not that I have ever trimmed a card in any way - and not that I endorse scammers that do so - but 2 things

1 how exactly do these trimmers have the balls to do it?

2 how exactly do they do it? Can't be scissors. Can't be paper cutter. How do these trimmers actually trim the cards? I've heard " Laser " cutters? What is a laser cutter?

Joshchisox08 05-02-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniship (Post 1534400)
Not that I have ever trimmed a card in any way - and not that I endorse scammers that do so - but 2 things

2 how exactly do they do it? Can't be scissors. Can't be paper cutter. How do these trimmers actually trim the cards? I've heard " Laser " cutters? What is a laser cutter?

1) Good question
2) Yet another good question. I think for the most part, most of us can detect a trimmed card (typical trimmed card that is) from a mile away. Holding it in our hand would be easy. But seeing the paper stock on the edges and the color or dis-coloration would be an easy way to tell as well.

I'm sure if someone were to cut the SGC card up and resubmit to let's say PSA. PSA "should" be able to tell that the card had been cut. Do they not look along the edges? Would the paper stock not be obscenely more light than it should be? Or does PSA not even bother looking into each and every single card that could be trimmed? They sure as hell do with the low grade stuff, why not the high grade? Do they really need to believe that there's a bunch of Cobb 8s out there? Or do they really need to have it on their pop reports over everyone else, (well SGC) when they're already the monopoly.

Peter_Spaeth 05-02-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1534404)
1) Good question
2) Yet another good question. I think for the most part, most of us can detect a trimmed card (typical trimmed card that is) from a mile away. Holding it in our hand would be easy. But seeing the paper stock on the edges and the color or dis-coloration would be an easy way to tell as well.

I'm sure if someone were to cut the SGC card up and resubmit to let's say PSA. PSA "should" be able to tell that the card had been cut. Do they not look along the edges? Would the paper stock not be obscenely more light than it should be? Or does PSA not even bother looking into each and every single card that could be trimmed? They sure as hell do with the low grade stuff, why not the high grade? Do they really need to believe that there's a bunch of Cobb 8s out there? Or do they really need to have it on their pop reports over everyone else, (well SGC) when they're already the monopoly.

I believe you are underestimating the sophistication and skill of the elite card doctors. Yes, if you or I were to trim a card it would be obvious. Not these guys.

Joshchisox08 05-02-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1534409)
I believe you are underestimating the sophistication and skill of the elite card doctors. Yes, if you or I were to trim a card it would be obvious. Not these guys.

Why yes I am. Laser cutting? That's why I was wondering what the hell does someone do to make a non-detectable trim where a "Professional Grading Company" is unable to detect foul play?

Perhaps if they cant' beat the crooks they hire em like in "Catch me if you Can"?

Peter_Spaeth 05-02-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1534410)
Why yes I am. Laser cutting? That's why I was wondering what the hell does someone do to make a non-detectable trim where a "Professional Grading Company" is unable to detect foul play?

Perhaps if they cant' beat the crooks they hire em like in "Catch me if you Can"?

There have been posts over the years about microtrimming and how difficult it is to detect. I really don't know the techniques used.

Leon 05-02-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1534410)

You are giving the grading companies way too much credit. Grading and detecting trimming is not a science. There are some common characteristics of trimming but at the end of the day most of it, unless really obvious, is a crap-shoot. That is my personal experience.

bnorth 05-02-2016 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniship (Post 1534400)

The answer to question 1 in cash and lots of it.

They can be trimmed with a paper cutter, many high end graded cards got resized using one. The most famous trimmed card ever was supposedly trimmed with an exacto knife.

T205 GB 05-02-2016 07:55 PM

No mater what you can't reproduce the edge roll with common cutters of any type. They just don't do the same job and that's what you have to look at. Just my opinion on what I have seen on altered trimmed cards.