Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Member Introduction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=215192)

Stoffer2 12-12-2015 06:50 PM

New Member Introduction

I've collected cards off and on since childhood (I'm almost 30). I recently got back into the prospect-chasing game that so many take a part in these days and I randomly saw a vintage card on eBay that piqued my interest. I came across this site after a Google search and have been obsessively pouring over the topics and eye candy spread throughout the forum for the past week or so.

It's hard to explain why these cards interest me in a different way than modern products. Maybe it's the manufactured scarcity of the refractors and other serial-numbered items that has me frustrated. There is something pure about vintage cards that has me coveting them.

I decided my first project will be to acquire the rookie cards for all players whose number has been retired by the White Sox (my favorite team). I've had a blast just figuring out what the actual card for each player is and how much they might cost.

One particular card that I need is the 1924 Diaz Cigarettes Ted Lyons, which is extremely rare. How does one go about locating a card like this? Obviously, I have followed the eBay search and will occasionally Google it. Am I missing something obvious here? Do I need to ask card shops and dealers? Or do I just simply wait until one surfaces?

I appreciate any advice you might provide and for all of the information I've picked up from you all over the last week.

savedfrommyspokes 12-13-2015 01:46 PM

Welcome, good luck with your quest!

jason.1969 12-13-2015 03:00 PM

Our B/S/T areas are pretty good for picking up cards.

ALR-bishop 12-13-2015 03:23 PM

Stoffer-- welcome. If you have not done so you might also make an introduction on the main pre war board. There are a lot of guys over there with extensive knowledge of pre war cards like the one you are looking for. While some visit in post war, not all do

Zach Wheat 12-13-2015 03:46 PM

Auctions

Hey, welcome. You can use services like bid-brain.com to help find this item at auction houses. They track inventory coming up for sale at a dozen auction houses. The owner is a fellow N54'er and posts on the pre-War side.

Z

Shoebox 12-14-2015 01:59 PM

Welcome to the board!

On a card like that I would advise monitoring the large major auction house offerings and reaching out to other collectors as much as possible. If I remember correctly one of the guys that is building a HOF rookie card collection on the pre-war side acquired an example of that card about a year ago.

dclarkraiders 12-14-2015 06:42 PM

Welcome aboard. Lots of great people here.

Duane

Mark70Z 12-15-2015 04:55 PM

Welcome!

Nice to see new members; welcome...

Jdoggs 12-19-2015 12:34 AM

Welcome.

Seiklis 12-26-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoffer2 (Post 1481153)
One particular card that I need is the 1924 Diaz Cigarettes Ted Lyons, which is extremely rare. How does one go about locating a card like this? Obviously, I have followed the eBay search and will occasionally Google it. Am I missing something obvious here? Do I need to ask card shops and dealers? Or do I just simply wait until one surfaces?

Lyons is one of the easier Hall of Famers to get as there are a few of him floating around (Pop report isn't complete on this one, I know there are at least 3 and probably 4) Pop report of 3 doesn't sound good but on a Diaz, that's pretty high.

With Diaz it's just keep checking auctions and ebay till they show. There was a massive dump a couple of years ago that put quite a few cards into the population, before that we weren't even sure if a 2nd complete set could exist. (There's a mysterious complete set that sold in '96 through Christies I've never gotten any additional info on)

Good luck finding one, Lyons is hard and expensive but he's not as rare as Ruffing

Welcome to the board

Tom S. 12-29-2015 09:38 PM

Welcome to the forums Stoffer! It's good to have another White Sox fan and collector on board! :D

Good luck finding a Diaz Cigarettes Lyons. One did make its way onto eBay over a year ago in a large group that was being sold off individually by a person from Florida. It had a worm hole in the card right through his neck, and it still went for over $1K in ungraded condition (I got a Charles Robertson from that group for my White Sox pre-war type set that I'm putting together).

As others have said, your best bet to find a Diaz Lyons would most likely be in one of the many online auction sites that are available.

Hope that you enjoy your time here!