Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   August Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258154)

GasHouseGang 08-01-2018 05:46 PM

August Pickups

2 Attachment(s)
Happy to have recently picked this up.

jb67 08-01-2018 06:16 PM

A sweet looking Mick to kick off the August pickup thread. Congrats.

JollyElm 08-01-2018 06:41 PM

Did the seller tout the card as being "undergraded"?? Because on first look that one actually seems to be. Awesome pickup.

GasHouseGang 08-01-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1799841)
Did the seller tout the card as being "undergraded"?? Because on first look that one actually seems to be. Awesome pickup.

No he didn't, but I agree with you. It looks like it could grade up 1/2 step.

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-01-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1799823)
Happy to have recently picked this up.

As Frank Barone might have said, "Holy Crap!"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

irv 08-02-2018 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
July purchase, August delievery.

tulsaboy 08-03-2018 10:54 AM

Just curious, slightly off topic... what ballpark is Mantle posed in for his 1955 Bowman? He is in road gray, but I can't imagine it being the Polo grounds (and it doesn't look like the Polo Grounds.) Thoughts?
kevin

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulsaboy (Post 1800266)
Just curious, slightly off topic... what ballpark is Mantle posed in for his 1955 Bowman? He is in road gray, but I can't imagine it being the Polo grounds (and it doesn't look like the Polo Grounds.) Thoughts?
kevin

Griffith maybe?

GasHouseGang 08-03-2018 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like Shibe Park's outfield wall.

Found this info online from an SCD article
By John McMurray

Because of its distinguishing horizontal design showing players as if they were appearing on a large, brown-bordered color television set, the 1955 Bowman baseball cards are among the most recognizable ever made. Apparently inspired in part by the 1950 Drakes baseball cards, which also employed a television-set presentation, the ’55 Bowman baseball cards represented an obvious departure from the understated styles which both Topps and Bowman generally used throughout the 1950s.

With many images of catchers about to field a pop up, Stan Lopata (No. 18) being a good representative example, and pitchers from the waist up about to begin their windups, such as No. 152 Johnny Klippstein, the 1955 Bowman cards are sometimes remembered for their consistently similar player poses, ostensibly all from photographs taken at Shibe Park in Philadelphia.

Picture of Shibe Park:

JollyElm 08-03-2018 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This Tom Terrific has the obligatory small gum stain on back, but it doesn't bother me a bit...

Attachment 324620

GasHouseGang 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

Nice centering on that Seaver, Darren.

Northviewcats 08-06-2018 05:51 PM

Aaron, Berra, & Mays

6 Attachment(s)
I picked up these cards the other day. I haven't sent in any cards to get graded in a long time. To me these look like a good candidates. Can anyone tell me what they might grade?

Thanks,

Joe

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2018 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No PC sticker on this one, but good enough for me and much less $$$.

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-06-2018 06:01 PM

Pretty card, Peter. '71 as a whole has grown on me. However, I am afraid my OCD might be the death of me if I delved too far into it. :eek:

JollyElm 08-06-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northviewcats (Post 1801292)
I picked up these cards the other day. I haven't sent in any cards to get graded in a long time. To me these look like a good candidates. Can anyone tell me what they might grade?

Thanks,

Joe

Hey, Joe.
One of my favorite words is "Yowza," so allow me to enthusiastically throw one your way. YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea what grades you will get, but look at how beautiful those cards appear in their magnificent state of 'overmagnification.' I never see anything even remotely similar. Holy heck and good luck indeed!!!!!!

irv 08-06-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northviewcats (Post 1801292)

Thanks,

Joe

I have never sent a card in for grading but judging by the scans, (which never tell the whole story) and the condition of those corners, I'd guess at least 7's.
Your Mays surface looks a little hazed so maybe less for him?

Good Luck if you decide to send them in.

Puckettfan 08-07-2018 09:48 AM

Today everything changes

3 Attachment(s)
Today is the day I added a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle to the PC. The card arrived via FedEx 20min ago. I am not one for hyperbole but this is the single biggest day of my hobby life. People have written about what it is like to own one of these cards and I can tell you that the feeling is real. It is unbelievable. Actually seeing one in your hand is an experience.

In the pantheon of life experiences this is at the table with the birth of my daughter, my wedding day, and my first kiss. The Mick's arrival may not outweigh those but it is absolutely moving.

I have been the under bidder a few times and/or could never find the right combination of price and condition. However, I saw this example and went for it. Saturated color and perfect registration. The only flaw is a crease in the upper left corner and some chipping that does not impact the image.

Also, I am very happy to have this place to share this experience.

If you ever have the opportunity to add one of these go for it.

Kris

GasHouseGang 08-07-2018 10:06 AM

That's a really nice "2" Kris. While I guess the grade is technically correct, it's eye appeal is so much better than most cards of that grade. I know you're really excited to add that to your collection. Congratulations!

Johnny630 08-07-2018 10:33 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... however in my opinion form the scans I believe The 56 Aaron is trimmed top towards the center right :-( I’d like to look more closer at the grain of all cards. Were these all bought from the Same Seller ?

irv 08-07-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckettfan (Post 1801470)
Today is the day I added a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle to the PC. The card arrived via FedEx 20min ago. I am not one for hyperbole but this is the single biggest day of my hobby life. People have written about what it is like to own one of these cards and I can tell you that the feeling is real. It is unbelievable. Actually seeing one in your hand is an experience.

In the pantheon of life experiences this is at the table with the birth of my daughter, my wedding day, and my first kiss. The Mick's arrival may not outweigh those but it is absolutely moving.

I have been the under bidder a few times and/or could never find the right combination of price and condition. However, I saw this example and went for it. Saturated color and perfect registration. The only flaw is a crease in the upper left corner and some chipping that does not impact the image.

Kris

Congrats! :)

Northviewcats 08-07-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1801488)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... however in my opinion form the scans I believe The 56 Aaron is trimmed top towards the center right :-( I’d like to look more closer at the grain of all cards. Were these all bought from the Same Seller ?

Thanks John. There is no bad news, life is good and if the card is trimmed it won't change that.

Yes. They came in the same lot. The seller was not a dealer in cards. He was liquidating his father's collection. The cards that I bought from him were in those heavy screwdown holders that sometimes damage the cards. I don't know about the upper right edge of the card. I see what you mean about the picture. There is a slight indentation on the edge just above the "AA" in Aaron. But I don't see under magnification any curl or change in the grain of the paper, or any difference from the top edge on the left side of the card. The registration of the picture is tilted, but if you measure the width of the cardboard on both ends it is a perfect 2-5/8 inches.

I guess that I will just send the cards in and hope for the best.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that you took the time to study the pictures and provided your opinion.

Best regards, Joe

Northviewcats 08-07-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Kris

Congratulations Kris on the great pick up. Your Mantle looks awesome.

Best regards,

Joe

Johnny630 08-07-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northviewcats (Post 1801510)
Thanks John. There is no bad news, life is good and if the card is trimmed it won't change that.

Yes. They came in the same lot. The seller was not a dealer in cards. He was liquidating his father's collection. The cards that I bought from him were in those heavy screwdown holders that sometimes damage the cards. I don't know about the upper right edge of the card. I see what you mean about the picture. There is a slight indentation on the edge just above the "AA" in Aaron. But I don't see under magnification any curl or change in the grain of the paper, or any difference from the top edge on the left side of the card. The registration of the picture is tilted, but if you measure the width of the cardboard on both ends it is a perfect 2-5/8 inches.

I guess that I will just send the cards in and hope for the best.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that you took the time to study the pictures and provided your opinion.

Best regards, Joe

Grain of the cut is the number one thing I look for when checking for trimmed.

Any time Joe :-) enjoy the cards !!

Exhibitman 08-07-2018 12:41 PM

52 Mantle...dayuummm!

Added this to my PC at the National:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...er%20Aaron.jpg

A card I have long wanted. Not so easy to find. I had a good show at the sales table and decided to splurge.

rsdill2 08-09-2018 07:26 AM

Picked this one up yesterday. A card that has long been on my want list.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/K7QAA...yC/s-l1600.jpg

MCoxon 08-09-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1801543)
52 Mantle...dayuummm!

Added this to my PC at the National:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...er%20Aaron.jpg

A card I have long wanted. Not so easy to find. I had a good show at the sales table and decided to splurge.

Awesome pickup, Adam. love this card

Puckettfan 08-09-2018 09:22 AM

Aaron

Adam, that is a great Aaron. The Topps supers are underrated in my opinion.

GasHouseGang 08-09-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckettfan (Post 1802164)
Adam, that is a great Aaron. The Topps supers are underrated in my opinion.

Plus the 1969's are particularly tough to find. Pretty card!

darkhorse9 08-09-2018 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While not a high profile card compared to others in this post, it's significant nonetheless.

This is the last card I needed to finish my 1951 Bowman set. It took years to complete but now it's done. I'm moving closer to my full run of Bowman sets with only 1949 and 1953 left to finish

Rickyy 08-10-2018 04:22 PM

Nice pickups everyone! Lots of good cards.

Ricky Y

gregr2 08-11-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 325408

gregr2 08-11-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 325410

JollyElm 08-13-2018 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of the cards I grabbed up with the latest 15% off ebay coupon arrived today.

This Mick is an upgrade to the one in my recently completed (99% ungraded) set...

Attachment 325635

And this guy cost me less than a third (less than a quarter?) of what straight 8's go for, and the centering doesn't bother me at all. I can easily live with it. I'll take that trade off any day of the week...

Attachment 325636

gregr2 08-13-2018 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 325669

gregr2 08-13-2018 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 325670

irv 08-13-2018 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not as centered of a copy I had hoped for, but this one was a toughie for me.
I threw in a quick last minute bid expecting to get outbid like I usually do on this card but surprisingly it held up. :)
Black back #28 Jerry Priddy for my 52 Topps collection.

Big Six 08-13-2018 07:09 PM

Down to 14...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...767116326a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c125b70b5d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b34439114a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topcat79 08-14-2018 02:12 PM

Was happy with this pickup...looks great for a 5.

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/163n8a89.jpeg

Was also looking for one of these for awhile. In my biased opinion, the greatest 3rd baseman ever.

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/67we9w0e.jpeg

irv 08-14-2018 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't really looking to add to my small 1962 CDN Post collection, but hey, its Willie Mays afterall. :)

Stonepony 08-15-2018 06:24 PM

Sterling auctions

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 325850

KCRfan1 08-15-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1804205)

That's a beauty Dave!

tschock 08-16-2018 01:03 PM

Post National pickup

1 Attachment(s)
Picked these up at a local show last weekend (post National). The fronts are just as nice as the backs, and vary from well centered to off-centered. The trimmed Martin is just for comparison. :)

JollyElm 08-16-2018 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to the recent ebay coupon code, I am really psyched to add this beautiful #21 to my collection (but I just wish Topps could've gotten a closer shot of Roberto's face :rolleyes:)...

Attachment 325914

luciobar1980 08-16-2018 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this guy. Really nice colors:

jason.1969 08-16-2018 02:01 PM

Making my way toward 60 of the 80 cards in this set. No plan yet for when I get to 79 cards!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c61b8054c4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

jason.1969 08-16-2018 02:06 PM

Man, that is an absolute gem!! How do you take your eyes off it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1804205)

MCoxon 08-16-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1804439)
Thanks to the recent ebay coupon code, I am really psyched to add this beautiful #21 to my collection (but I just wish Topps could've gotten a closer shot of Roberto's face :rolleyes:)...

Attachment 325914

beautiful pickup

jason.1969 08-16-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Kris

Congratulations! Any hyperbole would be fully understandable here. And that must have been some first kiss to even be mentioned in the same breath as your Mantle. Mine was more like a 1983 Donruss Manny Trillo.

clydepepper 08-16-2018 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Taking advantage of the 8% EBUCKS and 2% EBATES to pick up two RCs:

Attachment 325930Attachment 325931

irv 08-16-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschock (Post 1804435)
Picked these up at a local show last weekend (post National). The fronts are just as nice as the backs, and vary from well centered to off-centered. The trimmed Martin is just for comparison. :)

All gray backs! Wow. One heck of a pick up!