Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1953 Topps Mantle 8.5 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250974)

WWG 02-06-2018 09:48 AM

1953 Topps Mantle 8.5

Card looks nice but with GAI known for have graded trimmed cards, does anyone see any evidence of trimming? Would this maybe crossover to a PSA 7?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-TOPPS-...ss!33196!US!-1

Johnny630 02-06-2018 10:16 AM

I don’t like the bottom, in my opinion it could be trimmed. I could be wrong. But wouldn’t roll the dice.

GasHouseGang 02-06-2018 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There aren't any obvious signs of this card having been altered from the picture, although it does looks a bit short at the top. However, it's not like you would be getting the card at a discount from what you could buy it for in a PSA 7 if that's your goal. The most expensive 1953 Topps Mantle in PSA 7 that sold recently was this example from REA, where it went for $16,800 in December 2017. If I was going to pay that much, I would want it to already be in a PSA 7 holder.

con40 02-06-2018 11:10 AM

Bad Card

This card is in a GAI holder because it's hiding something (trimming, recoloring, alteration) because if someone could get this in a PSA holder, it would be in a PSA holder. Thousands of dollars at stake here. Better to have bidders guessing, than have them bid on a raw card which we all assume means it's not gradeable (especially at this elite level).

pokerplyr80 02-06-2018 02:12 PM

If I was going to take a chance on a card like this I'd want to pick it up for about the price of a psa 6. I would probably pass though.

KCRfan1 02-06-2018 10:39 PM

Does it make any difference that the GAI label is an old label and not a newer one?

If I remember correctly, when GAI began, some of the PSA graders went to GAI. Will this give the card credibility?

DeanH3 02-06-2018 11:29 PM

My guess is the card is legit. That is an older GAI label so I'm sure Mike Baker graded that card and IMHO, Baker would have spotted any alterations. My guess is PSA won't cross it because of the holder. Only way to know is to bust it out and resub it. Will it grade a 8.5? Maybe not, but I'd be highly surprised if it didn't at least get a numerical grade. Obviously the owner doesn't want to crack it out and gamble. Can't say I blame them, but agian, I'd be surprised if Baker missed a trim or alteration on a card of this magnitude.

WWG 02-07-2018 07:08 AM

Looking at the backside, the bottom edge has some uneven or deckle edge cut to it which is common. The top edge has a straight cut to it which may indicate trimming but without seeing the card in person it's only a guess.

Leon 02-07-2018 08:13 AM

There is a reason it's not in another TPG holder. People with those kinds of cards aren't stupid.

irv 02-07-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1745888)
There is a reason it's not in another TPG holder. People with those kinds of cards aren't stupid.

But if it was graded years ago and most notable collectors know that GAI was once good, why would the seller spend all that money getting it regraded?

I suppose, if he knew with it being in a PSA or SGC slab would cover the cost of the grading it would be a no brainer, but at the same time, maybe he doesn't want to go through the hassle?

Just a guess, another way to look at, and that is coming from me, a far less knowledgeable collector than you or most on here. :)

rats60 02-07-2018 11:33 AM

A PSA 7 is an easy sell for what he is asking. A PSA 8 he should be able to get double or more. It makes no sense to me that the seller would not try to cross it and just let it sit unsold on EBay.

pclpads 02-07-2018 01:26 PM

That's a boatload of moolah to lay out for such a desired card in this slab. Begs the question: why not in a PSA slab? Think there is a reason?? What troubles me is the daylight gap from the top of the card to the bottom of the gasket. Unless it is a poorly cut gasket, I'd take that as evidence of card trimming. Unless you are stinking rich, why take the gamble on a poss. five figure loss?

sickmantz 02-07-2018 10:10 PM

I'd be willing to take a chance on it if it had the right measurements and it was dramatically discounted.

WWG 02-08-2018 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"What troubles me is the daylight gap from the top of the card to the bottom of the gasket. Unless it is a poorly cut gasket, I'd take that as evidence of card trimming."

I would agree, here is another 53 Topps and there is no gap on the top of the card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Topps-...kAAOSwjytaY-TA

Frank A 02-10-2018 01:28 PM

That's an early GAI holder. I have broken many out and sent to one of the other grading companies and never lost more than half a grade. However there's always a first time. That's a lot of money to take a chance.

ZiggerZagger 02-10-2018 06:35 PM

Someone's already been down this road...

Per VCP, looks like the card was sold by the same eBay seller (kcfutures9) in April 2017.

VCP: [4/10/17 eBay Image kcfutures9 m***2 Best Offer $15,999.00 ]

Anyone wanna guess the odds that someone did a quick submission to PSA for crossover and got told the card did not meet standards before returning it to kcfutures9?
Is 99% too high a guess...? :cool:

Johnny630 02-10-2018 07:27 PM

Jason you’re Spot on sir. If it looks to good to be true, most likely it is to good to be true.