Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which SGC2 1915 CJ Joe Jackson gets more? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343351)

pawpawdiv9 12-01-2023 11:24 AM

Which SGC2 1915 CJ Joe Jackson gets more?

The REA sgc2 1915 Jackson (as mentioned in another thread)
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=161686
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1701134839
Currently at 32K ends 12/3

OR

The MileHigh sgc2 1915 Jackson
https://milehighcardco.com/1915_Crac...-LOT96981.aspx
https://milehighcardco.com/ItemImage...96981a_lg.jpeg
Currently at 21.2K ends 12/14

(NOTE: The pics of the reverse-backs are in POST #8 below)

Madi$on18joshua 12-01-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 2393248)
The REA sgc2 1915 Jackson (as mentioned in another thread)
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=161686
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1701134839
Currently at 32K ends 12/3

OR

The MileHigh sgc2 1915 Jackson
https://milehighcardco.com/1915_Crac...-LOT96981.aspx
https://milehighcardco.com/ItemImage...96981a_lg.jpeg
Currently at 21.2K ends 12/14

They both look great but the coloring on the REA is much better IMO.

Fred 12-01-2023 12:44 PM

Just thinking out loud. If the cards were equally desirable, then wouldn't the REA card sell for more based on the close date being earlier (one more bidder, the high bidder) removed from the Mile High bidders.

I guess it's really up to whether or not the main bidders have an issue with the presence of the stain on the REA card.

I can only say this - it ain't gonna be me with the high bid for either.

darwinbulldog 12-01-2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2393283)
Just thinking out loud. If the cards were equally desirable, then wouldn't the REA card sell for more based on the close date being earlier (one more bidder, the high bidder) removed from the Mile High bidders.

If that's how it worked, wouldn't one predict that every card would sell for less than what it sold for the last time?

mouschi 12-01-2023 12:53 PM

That's a toughie! I think REA mainly because of exposure. I could be wrong, and it totally could just be me, but I check REA every now and then, whereas MHA isn't really on my radar much. I didn't even know they were selling one until someone mentioned it on FB the other day.

Jstottlemire1 12-01-2023 12:56 PM

Quote:

I guess it's really up to whether or not the main bidders have an issue with the presence of the stain on the REA card.

Interesting and great points. I’m interested in the results of the poll. I think many Cracker Jack collectors appreciate the stains feeling the card then wasn’t a redemption issue but showing the nostalgia of a pack pulled example. I’ll cast my vote in a few days. Great topic.

pawpawdiv9 12-01-2023 01:19 PM

For me, i like the REA. Like the staining, but may be too much of it on the corner.
But, the MH one does have the 2 corner creases and some white streak at the bottom, not sure what it is.
I used to own one, a Auth one due to a cut at the top border and was re-glued. It presented very nice with no stains. Bought it from PWCC raw and had it slabbed myself.
I have seen it sell later, and had thought about re-buying it at the time.
But i dont regret it..as i love my project i am working on (in my sig.)

I am also looking to see where the results end as well.

pawpawdiv9 12-01-2023 01:27 PM

NOTE: i didnt look at the reverse (BACKS) until now:

REA:
https://createauctioncdn.azureedge.n...6_2_369828.jpg

MILEHIGH:
https://milehighcardco.com/ItemImage...96981b_lg.jpeg

brianp-beme 12-01-2023 02:01 PM

Which SGC2 1915 CJ Joe Jackson gets more?

I say neither, since Shoeless Joe is dead, and being dead, he ain't getting any anymore.

And I pose this to Mr. Jackson himself - If I am incorrect about you being dead and not getting any anymore, say it ain't so, Joe!

Brian

brianp-beme 12-01-2023 02:03 PM

And it's a tossup between the two for me, as each has something better than the other...I say they get the exact same amount.

Brian

mrreality68 12-01-2023 02:34 PM

Obviously they are both similar and they both have same Grade and by same grading company(so the Argument of PSA vs SGC is out).

Now it is more a preference of the eye appeal to the bidder.

I would be proud to have either in my collection. But I would choose Mile High

Fred 12-01-2023 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 2393286)
If that's how it worked, wouldn't one predict that every card would sell for less than what it sold for the last time?

Glenn, I'm just messing mess everyone. I'm hoping everyone bids up the REA and just ignores the MH card :p Then I can go in and sweep it up at a better price (not).

My thought was that one of the bidders would be out of the hunt and that could lead to better deal in the next one. Believe me, I realize that doesn't always happen. Lets call it 50/50 that REA sells for more than MH :p You can't disagree with that.

Snowman 12-01-2023 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua (Post 2393278)
They both look great but the coloring on the REA is much better IMO.

You can't tell this by looking at the scans. Scanner settings can drastically change the look of a card. Note the difference in depth of the black for the SGC inner frames on the REA and the Mile High copies. That's a saturation and contrast setting difference (among other things like gamma values).

Here's an example of how settings can change the look of a card. Same card scanned using the same scanner with different settings one minute apart.

Snowman 12-01-2023 04:31 PM

Quote:

That's not how it plays out in practice though. Sometimes bidders will hold back on the first one because they know there is another one around the corner. They don't want to overspend on the first one and they don't want to inflate the comps for the next one, so they'll bid more conservatively. Then, when the second one drops, they compete more aggressively because they don't know when the next one will come to market and where the market might be on it when it does.

Snowman 12-01-2023 04:34 PM

I think the REA outsells the Mile High. Also, I'm a gambling man, so if anyone wants to place a friendly side bet on this one, let me know!

3-2-count 12-01-2023 04:51 PM

I know which one I like better and its not even close.

I'll keep it to myself though ;) Good luck everyone!

Fred 12-01-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2393347)
You can't tell this by looking at the scans. Scanner settings can drastically change the look of a card. Note the difference in depth of the black for the SGC inner frames on the REA and the Mile High copies. That's a saturation and contrast setting difference (among other things like gamma values).

Here's an example of how settings can change the look of a card. Same card scanned using the same scanner with different settings one minute apart.

I was hoping someone was going to post scans of the same card with different scan settings. Thank you for that!

Regarding your other post, Ok, you're on, I'll bet you a dollar. :p

Snowman 12-01-2023 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2393357)
I was hoping someone was going to post scans of the same card with different scan settings. Thank you for that!

Regarding your other post, Ok, you're on, I'll bet you a dollar. :p

Alright, it's a bet then! $1 dollar. Good luck!

Madi$on18joshua 12-03-2023 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2393347)

great point and makes it difficult to know exactly what you are getting. I've had this happen to me before but i was happy as the colors were actually better in person!

Fred 12-04-2023 11:18 AM

REA = $48K (including the juice).

Jstottlemire1 12-11-2023 02:47 PM

We are at 3 days out on the Mile High auction Joe Jackson CJ card closing. What is the members thinking on its final sales number? I like the example a lot myself. Strong color it seems.

Jstottlemire1 12-14-2023 09:49 AM

Last day it appears they may go on par with one another.

Leon 12-14-2023 10:10 AM

We know. Slab collectors might not know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2393352)
I know which one I like better and its not even close.

I'll keep it to myself though ;) Good luck everyone!

Fred 12-14-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2393415)
Alright, it's a bet then! $1 dollar. Good luck!

Ok Travis, looks like we can go double or nothing on a bet for a different auction. If I can win 16 more consecutive double or nothing bets off of this first bet, then I should be able to own a 1915 CJ of Jackson in a "2" grade (and have a bit left to get a T206 green Cobb). I've got my fingers crossed.

Dang, that was pretty darn close. My theory held true and MH was just a bit less... :p Yes, I know, it was a bad theory.

I guess it stands to reason that there are a lot of collectors out there that like the CJ stains. I for one don't, but that never stopped me from buying one with a stain.

brianp-beme 12-15-2023 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2393302)
And it's a tossup between the two for me, as each has something better than the other...I say they get the exact same amount.

Brian

My exact same amount prediction was off, but at this level a couple thousand dollars difference is hardly noticeable.

Brian

mrreality68 12-15-2023 10:15 AM

Both nice cards going for a similar price. The prices on those cards amazingly keeps going up

The 2 winners have nice cards to add to their collections

jsfriedm 12-15-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua (Post 2393843)
great point and makes it difficult to know exactly what you are getting. I've had this happen to me before but i was happy as the colors were actually better in person!

I just had this happen with a T205 Mathewson that I won in last night's Mile High auction for what I thought was a great price. It has truly amazing colors - gold-est borders I've ever seen on a gold border. But I'm not sure the scan did it justice, which might have kept the price down. I saw it in person at the Shriner's Show last month, and knew I wanted it then.

Fred 12-15-2023 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2397240)
My exact same amount prediction was off, but at this level a couple thousand dollars difference is hardly noticeable.

Brian

That's like picking 0 or 00 in roulette. Close enough. I'd call it a 0 or 00 bet and win on your guess.

It was really close.

scoutsout47 12-15-2023 11:44 PM

To me it seems as though Mile High’s specimen has a centering advantage and its staining, while present, doesn’t appear to bleed through quite as noticeably. Others may see something I don’t, but I’d certainly pay more for it.

KCRfan1 12-16-2023 07:17 AM

What did the cards sell for?

Madi$on18joshua 12-16-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 2397465)
What did the cards sell for?

The REA one sold for $48,000

The Mile High one closed at $45,776

both were SGC 2's

Happy Holidays

Schlesinj 12-16-2023 11:37 AM

I won the Mike High version, my rational was two-fold, I had a decent consignment with REA, which was tied to a reallocation/continued collecting focus plan. I wanted to see my end result and consult with a few experts on this site (thanks Jeff). I only made one bid while watching since day one, but knew the sale of the REA compared to this card would have mathematically bumped the incremental bid on top or over with the next bid. I was not totally surprised no one else bid give recent comps and probably not bid again (but knows)

I now have concluded my goal of finding an item from each of the 8, knowing this card was the centerpiece for me. The others are type 1 photos and a game 1 program.

Excited to see the card in person. Of course, I biased, but I like the centering this too, but would have been happy with either but that did not fit the plan.

Casey2296 12-16-2023 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2397519)
I won the Mike High version, my rational was two-fold, I had a decent consignment with REA, which was tied to a reallocation/continued collecting focus plan. I wanted to see my end result and consult with a few experts on this site (thanks Jeff). I only made one bid while watching since day one, but knew the sale of the REA compared to this card would have mathematically bumped the incremental bid on top or over with the next bid. I was not totally surprised no one else bid give recent comps and probably not bid again (but knows)

I now have concluded my goal of finding an item from each of the 8, knowing this card was the centerpiece for me. The others are type 1 photos and a game 1 program.

Excited to see the card in person. Of course, I biased, but I like the centering this too, but would have been happy with either but that did not fit the plan.

Congrats on the pickup Jamie.

Madi$on18joshua 12-16-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, Jamie! IMO you got a great deal. Lets revisit this post 2 years from now and see what your card is worth!

Talk again in Jan 2026! lol

Aaron Seefeldt 12-16-2023 01:31 PM

Congratulations Jamie! That’s one heck of a card. In my opinion, a Cracker Jack Jackson is a top 5 card in all of hobby land.

Jstottlemire1 12-16-2023 01:40 PM

Quote:

I feel you got the stronger copy. The REA has scattered wrinkle through out yours only corner creases. Much stronger centering in your example.
Congrats.

mrreality68 12-16-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt (Post 2397548)
Congratulations Jamie! That’s one heck of a card. In my opinion, a Cracker Jack Jackson is a top 5 card in all of hobby land.

+1 agree Congrsts indeed

Great card.

And if you ever give up on it just let me know :D

Schlesinj 01-07-2024 07:05 AM

I was in the Heritage App last night and was looking around at various sales of Cracker Jack Jackson within the 2 range and saw a PSA 2 sold in May for $63k, but what was more interesting I saw a pending offer on a SGC 2.5 (from 1/6) at $63k. Does Heritage note offers while owners are thinking or is it really Pending and the payment brokering etc is happening?

brass_rat 01-07-2024 12:59 PM

Offers are noted while owners are thinking. It appears that the offer you saw as pending has since been rejected.

Yoda 01-07-2024 06:01 PM

I have always wondered what would happen to his card values if the shoeless one by some kind of miracle, which would send Judge Landis spinning in his grave (good place for him), got into the Hall of Fame.
I can see 2 scenarios playing out; first, many may gravitate even more intensely for Joe's cards now that justice (I guess) has been done and he has deservedly secured an enshrinement. Those in the hunt are now willing to pay more for his scant cards, or many may lose some interest now that the legend and mystique about Joe is gone, his role or not in the '19 WS fix really no longer matters and lose some interest in trying to secure any of his cards.
These are the things I ponder while looking at the ceiling at 3 a.m.

babraham 01-07-2024 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2402749)
I was in the Heritage App last night and was looking around at various sales of Cracker Jack Jackson within the 2 range and saw a PSA 2 sold in May for $63k, but what was more interesting I saw a pending offer on a SGC 2.5 (from 1/6) at $63k. Does Heritage note offers while owners are thinking or is it really Pending and the payment brokering etc is happening?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brass_rat (Post 2402842)
Offers are noted while owners are thinking. It appears that the offer you saw as pending has since been rejected.

That is my 15 CJ Jackson that had the pending offer. I don't buy many cards from Heritage, so was surprised to get an offer (first time that's happened to me). I'm not looking to sell it either way, but had to reject it regardless since it has since been crossed over from SGC to PSA (there was wording in the "offer" that said if anything about the card had changed since my purchase that it needed to be rejected.

823dek 01-08-2024 11:34 AM

Jackson's

Id take them both and I may have owned both of them at one time..they both have indicators that I may remember .The best one I ever had I was an SGC 70 1915 traded to Frank Foremny for a Speaker Boston Garter and and Konecthy Boston Garter at one of the Cleveland shows, I had 11 overall and 8 together at one time, I am sad to have none now, really am. I bought 2 the same day one from Mike Wheat raw looked like a 5 but faded a bit and the other on EBAY Wheels 1313 Ken was his name and I actually called him and we met halfway in Michigan , I live in Flint and he lived in Bay City that was so cool, then that one got traded to Aaron Seefeldt for 2 1912 Boston Garters Walsh and Rucker but Aaron also had gotten both of my Kotten Cobbs thin and thick paper versions and a CJCOBB, what a trade that was. That 1915 JAckson was a really hi end 3 and he resubmitted it and it came back a 4. Heartbroken I am, my take on the 8 would be around 600k ?

Like Tony Andrea no favorites owning them is a blessing in itself. Happy New Year !

The last one I recieved was another trade on the board from Darryl, I traded my PSA 2 Turkey Red Cobb for his SGC 30 1915 Jackson....MEMORIES

mrreality68 01-08-2024 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 823dek (Post 2403081)
Id take them both and I may have owned both of them at one time..they both have indicators that I may remember .The best one I ever had I was an SGC 70 1915 traded to Frank Foremny for a Speaker Boston Garter and and Konecthy Boston Garter at one of the Cleveland shows, I had 11 overall and 8 together at one time, I am sad to have none now, really am. I bought 2 the same day one from Mike Wheat raw looked like a 5 but faded a bit and the other on EBAY Wheels 1313 Ken was his name and I actually called him and we met halfway in Michigan , I live in Flint and he lived in Bay City that was so cool, then that one got traded to Aaron Seefeldt for 2 1912 Boston Garters Walsh and Rucker but Aaron also had gotten both of my Kotten Cobbs thin and thick paper versions and a CJCOBB, what a trade that was. That 1915 JAckson was a really hi end 3 and he resubmitted it and it came back a 4. Heartbroken I am, my take on the 8 would be around 600k ?

Like Tony Andrea no favorites owning them is a blessing in itself. Happy New Year !

The last one I recieved was another trade on the board from Darryl, I traded my PSA 2 Turkey Red Cobb for his SGC 30 1915 Jackson....MEMORIES

Wow. Thanks for sharing and you definetly been around the 1915 Jacksons

Aaron Seefeldt 01-10-2024 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 823dek (Post 2403081)

Hi Dan,
I hope you are well! I remember those trades! Man that was fun stuff. Didn't I also get a nice mello mint Wagner throwing from you somewhere along the way? That was a flat out purchase though if memory serves me right. Let's talk soon, I'd love to catch up!

Leon 01-17-2024 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2403083)
Wow. Thanks for sharing and you definetly been around the 1915 Jacksons

And don't get him drinking and telling you about them! Might as well break out the popcorn if that happens....Dan and I have done a lot of deals over the years.

As for the 2 Jackson Cracker Jack cards in 2 holders. They ended within around 5% of each other. I would prefer the damage on the back as opposed to the front, all things being equal.

823dek 01-31-2024 11:08 AM

Funny leon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2405556)
And don't get him drinking and telling you about them! Might as well break out the popcorn if that happens....Dan and I have done a lot of deals over the years.

As for the 2 Jackson Cracker Jack cards in 2 holders. They ended within around 5% of each other. I would prefer the damage on the back as opposed to the front, all things being equal.

I'll have a beer !

823dek 01-31-2024 11:09 AM

we had a blast !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt (Post 2403692)
Hi Dan,
I hope you are well! I remember those trades! Man that was fun stuff. Didn't I also get a nice mello mint Wagner throwing from you somewhere along the way? That was a flat out purchase though if memory serves me right. Let's talk soon, I'd love to catch up!

That trade took about 2 mos but what fun !!!!

Leon 02-02-2024 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 823dek (Post 2409411)
I'll have a beer !

You never have "a" beer...

back to topic, they are both nice CJs...