Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New pickup... '58 Brooks... grade help? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187504)

phabphour20 05-06-2014 02:17 PM

New pickup... '58 Brooks... grade help?

Cross-post from Blowout... please let me know if this kind of thread is discouraged here...

So I have 47 cards that I want to get graded. In an effort to get to 50 and use the PSA $6 May special, I went to the terrible little card/coin shop near my office. I was basically looking for something I could pick up, grade, and get out of without losing money.

I found this...

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...Brooksraw1.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...235C412FBA.jpg

I am curious what you guys think this would grade out at... then I will tell you what I paid.

Sorry if either of the pictures shows up upside down... photobucket is AWFUL.

Cheers,

PP

savedfrommyspokes 05-06-2014 02:44 PM

If the card is crease free, appears to be a high 5 or 6.

phabphour20 05-06-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1273284)
If the card is crease free, appears to be a high 5 or 6.

It is definitely crease-free. 6 is my break-even, but I don't mind losing a few bucks in order to get the price of everything else down to $6.

Thanks for the comment.

ALR-bishop 05-06-2014 05:53 PM

Brooks

I am a BR fan but that has to be one of his worst photos. The card however is a nice one. I am not a fan of imprisoning card in plastic , so I defer to others on that

savedfrommyspokes 05-06-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1273351)
I am a BR fan but that has to be one of his worst photos. The card however is a nice one. I am not a fan of imprisoning card in plastic , so I defer to others on that

But BR's collar in this photo is the best!

savedfrommyspokes 05-06-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phabphour20 (Post 1273294)
It is definitely crease-free. 6 is my break-even, but I don't mind losing a few bucks in order to get the price of everything else down to $6.

Thanks for the comment.

Your welcome..so I have to know, how much did you spend on it?

kailes2872 05-06-2014 06:28 PM

My 58 Brooks has centering issues. I am looking for an upgrade but many of the cards that I have seen - even slabbed in a psa 6 holder have similar left to right issues. Yours isn't as bad as mine or what I have seen but there must have been something going on with the sheet because so many of these BR's have the same tendency.

Mark70Z 05-06-2014 06:49 PM

Brooksie

I'm a Brooks fan as well. I personally really like the '58 card, the sky blue background, the card style w/the cool O's logo, only if Topps selected a different pose (was this the best picture they had?!?). Still a great 2nd year card.

I'm not big on slabbing, but I'd say it's a 6 possibly.

By the way...does anyone know who has the '58 Topps card artwork or transparency for this card? Real cool items...

Bestdj777 05-06-2014 07:52 PM

What is going on in the upper left corner? It is hard to tell from the scan whether it is a scratch, crease, paper loss, or something else. It could just be the scan though.

phabphour20 05-07-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1273414)
What is going on in the upper left corner? It is hard to tell from the scan whether it is a scratch, crease, paper loss, or something else. It could just be the scan though.

It is a tiny white spot, either from printing or the faintest of scratches. I looked at it using my loupe and it doesn't appear to be a surface flaw. Certainly not a crease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1273359)
Your welcome..so I have to know, how much did you spend on it?

$50. The guy had it marked at $100 but it had about a quarter inch of dust on the toploader so I figured I could get him down. He has a lot of nice cards in his shop, but 90% are low grade.

His prices are all fairly similar (mostly EX to NrMt prices for G cards) and mostly condition indifferent. The key is just to find the nicest condition cards. He has a '56 Mantle gray back that is somewhere between poor and fair... would be lucky to pull a 2 from PSA. He has it listed at $500. But then I bought a Seaver RC off him for $300 that was Ex-Mt+. I think I have just about picked him clean at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1273351)

I know. The picture is one of the worst ever on a baseball card. That is why I like it! I do like how you can see the flannel of the jersey though, so much more character than today's uniforms.

Hot Springs Bathers 05-07-2014 06:26 AM

If any of you are big Brooks fans the new biography by Doug Wilson titles BROOKS is really good!

Not many athletes in his class as a human being.

phabphour20 05-07-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1273513)
If any of you are big Brooks fans the new biography by Doug Wilson titles BROOKS is really good!

Not many athletes in his class as a human being.

Thanks... I will pick this up.

And then I just need a nice copy of the '57...