Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who in here has ever lost a pet due to accident? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206168)

bobbyw8469 05-19-2015 06:51 PM

Who in here has ever lost a pet due to accident?

??? We are going thru a tough time right now over our little birdie.....

Econteachert205 05-19-2015 06:59 PM

A car hit my dog when I was 8 and my cat when I was 10. It sucked but helped me to understand the nature of life.

bnorth 05-19-2015 07:48 PM

Have lost several to old age, luckily none to an accident.

What kind of birdie? I have a pair of African Senegal parrots I got as babies in 1993 and a Orange Wing Amazon I got in 1998 from a friend that got it in 1981 and was told it was old then.

clydepepper 05-19-2015 09:15 PM

I had a puppy run over when I was about 14, but the next dog lasted 17 years and it was a LOT harder to loose him.

I've had my current 4-year old for 3 years and I do not know what I would do if something happened to him.

Dog-Man, that's me!

Griffins 05-20-2015 12:19 AM

Lost a couple due to being run over when I was a kid, turned my backyard into Fort Knox before getting a dog as an adult.
Sucks no matter the cause, but especially in an accident. Condolences Bobby.

Leon 05-20-2015 07:39 AM

It is heartbreaking to lose one of our friends. I am sure when any of my 5 best friends passes away I will be very sad, especially if it is a tragic death (not old age). But even old age death will be sad....Sorry to hear of the loss Bobby...

packs 05-20-2015 07:59 AM

Sorry about your loss. My pal Buster died a few years ago after 15 years together. My advice is to take your time with it.

Laxcat 05-20-2015 11:23 AM

We lost the family cat, Bandit, about two years ago. It was my parents cat but we all stopped by the house all the time and grew up with him. My brother Drew went around to the shelters and put up fliers everywhere. About a week later a man that lives a few blocks over showed up with some terrible news. You see we have quite a coyote problem in Austin. He found Bandit the morning he went missing. The guy was an honorable dude. He buried my cat in his backyard and planted a bush to mark were he was buried.

I'm sorry if this is where it gets a little worse.

My brother Drew loved that cat more than anything. Except maybe teaching Algebra. I was fully expecting him to blow a gasket when he found out the news. After what had to be a stressful day teaching 12 year olds how to factor, I had to tell him. I was seriously ready to have to subdue him. He surprised me and sat down with a solemn look on his face and sighed. He was obviously very upset. He handled himself amazingly. Until that point I had still seen my little brother as a kid. I still saw the 28 year old 6'5/200 man with 2 degrees as a child and had expected him to act like one.

We lost Drew a few months later. On teacher appreciation day. I talked to him the night before and everything was fine. The Medical Examiner determined Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. The way that Drew dealt with the death of our cat in an odd way helped me through the past year or so. I was still completely devastated. Lost my job, withdrew from society, etc... Until recently I havent done anything but take a few Community College classes. This site has given me the opportunity to interact and feel human again. I love talking cards, or anything else.

Thanks for all the information that I have received from y'all. Thank you for reading.

drcy 05-20-2015 12:47 PM

I grew up with dogs and they all eventually died. Some lived to old age, others died in accident. One thing that may be comforting is that dogs and cats simply aren't designed to to live as long as humans; they aren't conscious of their lifespan/death/etc as we humans are-- they're in the moment animals-- and an enjoyable, well-treated three year life is a good life to them. What matters to a dog or cat is how it's treated by its owners during the day to day, not ideas (which it doesn't have) of life span or mortality. A well treated, happy cat that lives 2 years has a better life than a abused cat that lives 20 (Yes, I'm a quality of life person). And last, you really wouldn't want your pet to live 200 years, because you would die first and wouldn't be around to make sure its properly taken care of. Since a pet has a short life, you can be make sure of it having a good, enjoyable life.

Sad feelings are eventually replaced by fond rememberances. I remember all past pets clearly and their different personalities and good times they had.

bobbyw8469 05-21-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

What kind of birdie? I have a pair of African Senegal parrots I got as babies in 1993 and a Orange Wing Amazon I got in 1998 from a friend that got it in 1981 and was told it was old then]
It was a little parrotlet. Cute as can be.
He just turned 1. I hear they live anywhere from 15-30, but usually never see old age due to accidents. I really thought he had a chance cause we were SOOOOOO careful. :-(
http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/use...jpg?1432256285

bobbyw8469 05-31-2015 05:43 AM

We got a new bird recemtly. A green cheek conure. Still not the same.

bnorth 05-31-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1416583)
We got a new bird recemtly. A green cheek conure. Still not the same.

Buy ear plugs and ear muffs. Conures are by far the most noisy birds I have ever had.

Good luck with your new bird.

bobbyw8469 05-31-2015 11:30 AM

This one is not that bad. I heard Green Cheeks were the quietest. And ours isn't that loud at all....he is only 3 months old, so maybe he will eventually get loud......we hope not though.

ullmandds 06-01-2015 02:39 PM

One of my childhood hamsters...Sammy...met an untimely death by laze boy rocker.

bobbyw8469 06-01-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1417082)
One of my childhood hamsters...Sammy...met an untimely death by laze boy rocker.

Ugg...I accidentally killed a kitten that way too....I remember it to this day.