Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1953 - 1980 Topps run put to bed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241171)

robsbessette 06-16-2017 07:14 PM

1953 - 1980 Topps run put to bed

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to a fellow board member, I finally pulled the trigger and got the last card that I needed for my Topps run - 1963 Topps Pete Rose RC. I have never been crazy about the card, but it only seems to be getting hotter, so I took the plunge.

Now I suppose it's time to focus on 1952. I love the set, but have been a little afraid of starting it. I'll probably try a low number set first and then if any high number opportunities fall into my lap, I'll take a shot at them. Don't really expect to get there, but ya never know.

It's been a really fun ride working on these sets, I used to think that 56 was always my favorite, but after working on all the sets I think I have settled on 57 as my favorite. Least favorite is probably 58. It's pretty bland.

To keep cranking away I plan on working on upgrades while expanding to other post war sets. Bowman and Fleer will definitely be in the mix. I'd like to hit other sets like DanDee, Red Heart, and Hires as well. Maybe Exhibits or Redmans. Who knows.

I have learned a lot about Topps during this run, but don't have a lot of experience with the others. Looking forward to learning more.

nebboy 06-16-2017 07:26 PM

Nice job on the run of sets

jb67 06-16-2017 08:16 PM

Congrats that is pretty impressive.

irv 06-16-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb67 (Post 1671865)
Congrats, that is pretty impressive.

X3!

Good job, Rob.

ALR-bishop 06-16-2017 08:53 PM

Great run Rob. Good luck on your 52 quest

clydepepper 06-16-2017 08:56 PM

Congratulations Rob!

I completed '54-'80 a few years ago...cashed '57-'80 in

...and have started 'Topps the Gathering' once more.

Not sure I want to go all the way this time...

not at the pace I'm going.

I may just complete the '53 - I have most of it.

To be honest, I got a little depressed once I got that last card.

Surely, the thrill is in the chase. That made it easier to say goodbye.

Hey, don't listen to this old guy...Enjoy your collection.

DBesse27 06-16-2017 09:28 PM

Congrats on a major accomplishment, from a fellow Bessette.

KCRfan1 06-16-2017 10:22 PM

Congratulations on the set run!

I love the Red Heart set, and the DanDee will certainly keep you busy. That set may pose a challenge for you.

REGGIE206 06-17-2017 01:10 AM

That is awesome!

robsbessette 06-17-2017 06:37 AM

Thanks guys, it's been a fun ride. Now time to upgrade and expand to other sets! I have always loved the post war stuff. For some reason the T cards don't do it for me as much.

ALR-bishop 06-17-2017 08:18 AM

.....and don't forget the variations ;)

robsbessette 06-17-2017 08:45 AM

I've already started. Never thought I'd like them, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far.

baseballfan 06-17-2017 12:07 PM

congrats!!!!

heck of a run you got there. hope I can get there someday, all I got is time.

familytoad 06-17-2017 07:34 PM

Here too

Rob, I 'd like to congratulate you here too, after saying so on the OBC thread.
That's a great run!

I'm down to 27 which includes the 1952 low series but I haven't gotten one in months...maybe I don't want it to end ;)
Of course, to me...it's a side project to go after the Topps run since the T's and the E's really do it for me :D

I might be able to help with 52 lows, but there are some Real Tipton mints 10 or Tipton gem mint 11's in there so you'd probably want to upgrade before you pull them out of the envelope LOL.

Once again, congrats on a very cool accomplishment!

robsbessette 06-17-2017 10:53 PM

Thanks Brian,

I appreciate the kind words. 52 is looming for me. What do you have left?

quitcrab 06-18-2017 03:41 AM

Congrats! U think you should start the Topps 55 double header set. Your going to live the oddball sets like fleer and red hearts.. Scott

LuckyLarry 06-18-2017 06:02 AM

That's a BIG accomplishment Rob, CONGRATS!

CobbSpikedMe 06-18-2017 09:02 PM

Fantastic job Rob!! I don't even have the complete run in my sights yet so I'm very impressed. Some day maybe I'll be there.

AndyH

PowderedH2O 06-19-2017 04:58 AM

Great job Rob! I am close to where you are. Maybe 2-3 years away? But I also am working 1948-present for football too. I also want to complete the Bowmans, but that is going to take some time. Maybe those are considerations for you. I decided on the short set for 1952 topps. I can't see myself spending the kind of money that it costs for the high numbers, when I could use that money elsewhere. For the price of a 52 high number common I could buy a Goudey Jimmie Foxx. No brainer for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

kailes2872 06-19-2017 04:58 AM

Congrats!

I am one year behind you - as I have 54 - current done with some Bowman and Fleer mixed in. As I have gotten to the more expensive ones, I feel I have slowed down, but we had a lot of company here for a graduation party this weekend and I was showing a friend who I hadn't seen in a couple of years and he noted the continued progress - which was nice to hear.

I really liked your strategy of buying multiple sets and lots and upgrading in big chunks and selling off the leftovers.

Good luck on the post-war monster. I will probably start that journey as well in about 18 months which will go over well at home now that we have a college student!

Take Care

familytoad 06-19-2017 11:28 PM

Left

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1672209)
Thanks Brian,

I appreciate the kind words. 52 is looming for me. What do you have left?

Hey Rob, if you mean what do I have left for my run, it's not a lot of big name stars , maybe 5 or 6 depending on your definition of that. But a few dumb 61, 66, 67 high numbers and even a couple 68's that have eluded me. Honestly, I haven't tried too hard to finish this year like I thought I would once I got down to the finish line. They'll show up sometime and I'll get there.

Congrats again...try a nice prewar set on for size , you'll hate it LOL

darkhorse9 06-20-2017 08:00 AM

That's a big accomplishment. I know it motivated me for many years until I finally completed my run back to 1948.

My goal was to get a complete set from every year. I finished that earlier this year. I've got Topps sets from 1951 to today and Bowman sets for 1948-1950. My 1952 Topps set is just low numbers so I got the 1952 Bowman set as well.

My problem now is I'm feeling a bit bored. Post War sets aren't exciting me the way they should. I'm working on completing an oddball set for each year from 1940-1947, but that's a slow journey. Right now I'm just looking for 60's and 70's oddball sets to keep me occupied.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...8f&oe=59C7CE40

g_vezina_c55 06-20-2017 08:07 AM

Wow congratulations

How long to build all these set ?
Builded card by card or buy complete set ?
Great accomplishment

KCRfan1 06-20-2017 10:19 AM

That's amazing Mark!

Mark70Z 06-20-2017 04:01 PM

Sets

Congrats on the completion. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the floating heads (for some unknown reason). The Rose looks pretty nice as the final card.

ALR-bishop 06-20-2017 04:10 PM

Mark 9....there are a lot of 60s and 70s Topps odd ball. Some easy. Some hard . Some impossible :)

Mark 7...how disappointing about your fondness for floating heads :-0

robsbessette 06-20-2017 05:33 PM

I pieced most the sets together with larger lots. Would mainly try to buy in bulk and flip the cards I didn't need. That worked pretty well for me throughout the run. It gets harder as the sets get older, but that's expected.

I have completed 1950 - 1955 Bowman. Still have 48 and 49 to go. I feel like 49 is going to be a beast with Jackie and Paige in there.

I have also gone after the Fleer sets as well with just 1961 left to complete.

So all in all, pretty solid progress. I doubt I'll ever dip into prewar, but ya never know. I really like the subsets from the 60s and 70s so I may jump on that ship. 1971 Topps Greatest Moments are just plain awesome.

Right now I have a little collector ADD, but I'm sure I'll straighten it out eventually.

ALR-bishop 06-20-2017 07:18 PM

There are a bunch of great Fleer baseball sets between 1963 and 1981

spaidly 06-23-2017 07:30 PM

Impressive!

irv 06-23-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1674024)
Impressive!

You can say that again!

Vintagevault13 06-23-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1672969)
I pieced most the sets together with larger lots. Would mainly try to buy in bulk and flip the cards I didn't need. That worked pretty well for me throughout the run. It gets harder as the sets get older, but that's expected.

I have completed 1950 - 1955 Bowman. Still have 48 and 49 to go. I feel like 49 is going to be a beast with Jackie and Paige in there.

I have also gone after the Fleer sets as well with just 1961 left to complete.

So all in all, pretty solid progress. I doubt I'll ever dip into prewar, but ya never know. I really like the subsets from the 60s and 70s so I may jump on that ship. 1971 Topps Greatest Moments are just plain awesome.

Right now I have a little collector ADD, but I'm sure I'll straighten it out eventually.

Rob,

Congrats on the accomplishment. Just curious, how do you store your sets (binders, toploaders, etc.)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robsbessette 06-24-2017 08:58 PM

D ring binders with ultra pro pages. I really like being about to thumb through them. I have only kept a handful of cards in psa cases (Mantle and Mays 51 Bowmans). I crack all the others and add them to the binder.

Vintagevault13 06-24-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1674328)
D ring binders with ultra pro pages. I really like being about to thumb through them. I have only kept a handful of cards in psa cases (Mantle and Mays 51 Bowmans). I crack all the others and add them to the binder.

Very nice. I also love binders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddog4063 06-25-2017 08:33 AM

I love my binders, recently started converting them from 18 cards per page to 9 cards per page so i can see all the backs.

LeftHandedDane 06-29-2017 10:34 AM

Congrats Rob, we are kindred spirits. I finished the same Topps run about a year ago. I can't bring myself to tackle the 52, though - just too much for me. I am closing in on the Bowmans, have everything except about 20 of the 49's (Paige, Robinson, Snider, Ashburn, - its tough!)

I have really enjoyed chasing the oddball 50's, 60's and 70's stuff - Post/Jello, Fleer, Laughlin, Nu-Card, Red Heart, all the Topps Inserts, Kelloggs, etc. too! They are cool, and can be really a challenge to find!

I have dipped into pre-war, I like the Play Balls and the Goudeys. I confess the earlier stuff doesn't do it for me.

The thrill of the chase is what gets me - and as I find it harder and harder to find things (due either to scarcity or high cost) I am finding myself thinking more about football, basketball and/or hockey!

Good luck with the next phase of collecting

Ed

ALR-bishop 06-29-2017 11:22 AM

Odd

Ed---what Topps Test and Insert stuff have you put together ? And what Fleer sets beyond the 59, 60/61 and 63 sets ?

robsbessette 06-29-2017 11:48 AM

I have never really considered doing Post/Jello, but the more I think about it, the more it intrigues me.

I also feel like Exhibits might be in my future. Really pretty cards, quite affordable, and lots of star power.

clydepepper 06-29-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1671844)
Thanks to a fellow board member, I finally pulled the trigger and got the last card that I needed for my Topps run - 1963 Topps Pete Rose RC. I have never been crazy about the card, but it only seems to be getting hotter, so I took the plunge.

Now I suppose it's time to focus on 1952. I love the set, but have been a little afraid of starting it. I'll probably try a low number set first and then if any high number opportunities fall into my lap, I'll take a shot at them. Don't really expect to get there, but ya never know.

It's been a really fun ride working on these sets, I used to think that 56 was always my favorite, but after working on all the sets I think I have settled on 57 as my favorite. Least favorite is probably 58. It's pretty bland.

To keep cranking away I plan on working on upgrades while expanding to other post war sets. Bowman and Fleer will definitely be in the mix. I'd like to hit other sets like DanDee, Red Heart, and Hires as well. Maybe Exhibits or Redmans. Who knows.

I have learned a lot about Topps during this run, but don't have a lot of experience with the others. Looking forward to learning more.

Rob- You have inspired me to complete my 1953 Set. I picked up 10 needed (lower price, but high grade) cards last weekend.

Still need 80 cards...so, I'll be busy with it for a while.

Zach Wheat 06-30-2017 05:18 AM

Rob,

Congrats! Well done....not easy.

Z

savedfrommyspokes 06-30-2017 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1675719)
I have never really considered doing Post/Jello, but the more I think about it, the more it intrigues me.

After I finished my 53-present Topps run, building Post (mainly) and Jello sets have followed. Collecting the 200 cards in each set was not the intriguing part for me, but collecting many of the variations in addition to the regular set. Fun sets for sure.

frankhardy 06-30-2017 07:22 PM

Very impressive, guys!

Rob, why stop at 1980? Why not go all the way?

I have completed Topps and Topps Traded/Update from 2016 down to 1966. I am currently working on 1965. My oldest sets are presentable low to mid grade. I will methodically work my way down until I get to 1952. All of this is in addition to my Cardinals team set collection.

clydepepper 06-30-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbessette (Post 1671844)

Rob- just a suggested 'next' goal. Since your collection spans specific postwar years, why not build the 1960 Leaf and 1963 Fleer sets. Other than the Post and Jello issues, they would be the closest remaining sets of any noticeable size (I think?).

just a thought.

tombocombo 06-30-2017 10:38 PM

Congratulations!

Amazing job!

LeftHandedDane 07-01-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1675713)
Ed---what Topps Test and Insert stuff have you put together ? And what Fleer sets beyond the 59, 60/61 and 63 sets ?

Al, I haven't done anything really offbeat - none of the Topps Test stuff. Only the "regular" inserts like the stamps, rub-offs, games, posters, etc.

For the Fleers, I have really enjoyed going after all the Robert Laughlin issues - I think he was so creative, and informative about the history of the game. And it seems like just when I think I have them all I learn about yet another set that was produced. (I was excited recently to finally complete my "Baseball Firsts" set with the elusive "First Catchers Mask" find!)

I guess I believe that the era post-war era of baseball to about 1975 was the greatest and I primarily seek to collect within that era.

robsbessette 07-01-2017 07:52 PM

I have complete sets up to 2011. But honestly, I never look at them. I'm so out of touch with modern collecting that I lose interest in it quite quickly.

robsbessette 07-01-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankhardy (Post 1676271)
Very impressive, guys!

Rob, why stop at 1980? Why not go all the way?

I have completed Topps and Topps Traded/Update from 2016 down to 1966. I am currently working on 1965. My oldest sets are presentable low to mid grade. I will methodically work my way down until I get to 1952. All of this is in addition to my Cardinals team set collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1676283)
Rob- just a suggested 'next' goal. Since your collection spans specific postwar years, why not build the 1960 Leaf and 1963 Fleer sets. Other than the Post and Jello issues, they would be the closest remaining sets of any noticeable size (I think?).

just a thought.

I'm working on 1960 Leaf and have completed 1963 Fleer. Might also gives Hires a go in the future.

darkhorse9 07-04-2017 02:06 PM

My goal was always to have a complete set from every year. When I finished my run back to 1948 I decided to get REAL creative and work on sets from.the war years of 1942-1947.

Working or completed

1942 salutation exhibits ( seven to go)
1943 MP &co. (Complete)
1944 Yankees stamps (complete)
1945 Carameli Deportivo ( five to go)
1946 Remar Bread (just started)
1947 Bond Bread (just started )

Obviously I had to take some liberties to even find a set from each year.

Harliduck 07-07-2017 12:03 AM

Congrats! It's been fun watching and discussing cards with you through your journey. Nice work!