Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1951 Topps Redbacks - Complete Set of Panels (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125880)

mab 07-19-2010 03:46 PM

1951 Topps Redbacks - Complete Set of Panels

I am trying to determine a fair price. This set is comprised of 52 cards, plus two variations of two of those cards. The cards were issued both individually, as well as in 2-card panels. I collect both the individual cards, as well as the panels, though I only have 5 panels.

I've come across a set of panels being sold for $1,500. 11 of the panels are graded, and range from PSA-4s to PSA-8, with most being 4s or 5s. The other panels are raw and seem to be pretty nice (EX or better), but I am basing that on scans.

Anyone out there have experience with these panels, and any thoughts on the price? I think it's pretty fair, as I've paid $65 on up for the panels I do own. This would be the most I've ever paid for a set of cards, so I'm a bit nervous.

As a side not, I will be attending the National. Is this the type of set I could expect to find there?

Thanks!

doug.goodman 07-19-2010 07:47 PM

Seems like a good price

In my opinion.

I have 20 of the 28 panels, if I pay the same average price for the 8 panels that I need as I paid for the 20 that I have, then I will have paid $1,625 for the complete panel set.

Doug

toppcat 07-24-2010 10:19 AM

If the panels are indeed EX ish then $1500 seems pretty fair. Not all that easy to find panels either.

Leon 07-26-2010 09:58 AM

very well might....

You might see a few full panels at the National but I doubt a whole set.

nolemmings 07-26-2010 11:57 AM

Probably not a horrible price if you're looking to keep them, but not a great investment, IMO. These are very often found in high grade, and nm examples are around $100-$125. That is about twice what you would be paying per card, but the condition would be two-four grades higher. Anyone trying to complete the set could do so without major difficulty even starting from scratch, so it becomes a matter of how many would be looking for a mid-grade or so set and of these, how many would want it all at once (i.e. they're not already partially through compiling their own set)

EDITED TO ADD: I will defer to those who actively collect this set, as I have not looked into it for a couple of years, but I do not recall any panels being particularly scarce.

Griffins 07-26-2010 04:31 PM

beware that this set is notorious for wrinkles- what looks like an near mint card (or panel) may not be upon close inspection.
I was looking at this set too- it was listed a few weeks ago for $2250 IIRC and then again at $1500. That seems about the right range but I always wonder why some cards in a small set like this are graded and some aren't.
FWIW it's not uncommon to come across a full set of redbacks in panel form- it seems like 1-2 come up in auction catalogs every year. Bluebacks are another story, and I've only seen one set in panel form in the last 10 years.