Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1994 Stadium Club Promo? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268792)

mybestbretts 05-08-2019 06:44 PM

1994 Stadium Club Promo?

2 Attachment(s)
Help, I have looked everywhere I know. I have had this 1994 George Brett
Card #5 for a long time and have not been able to find out what it is.

It measures 3 x approx. 3 7/8th. It must be some type of promo card?
Any suggestions would help

jacksoncoupage 05-08-2019 07:12 PM

It’s just the base card miscut, I believe. There are no differences in text, cropping, format, etc than the base issue, just the slightly larger size. A seller named leximo sold many of these a few years ago. Another “tell” that your card is the base issue is the little C in the copyright area on back.

swarmee 05-08-2019 07:15 PM

Would the base card have all four borders as white? Seems like a lot of wasted space on the sheet.

mybestbretts 05-09-2019 06:54 AM

Stadium club promo

If I measure it from within the border it still measures

2 1/2 x 3 3/4

mybestbretts 05-09-2019 06:57 AM

Stadium club promo

Great question, the regular card does not have a white border

jacksoncoupage 05-09-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1876160)
Would the base card have all four borders as white? Seems like a lot of wasted space on the sheet.

Yes, because it is a borderless set. Otherwise, the slightest oc would show the edge of another photo. This is why there is a slight amount of extra photo before the white “border” around each card.

Bagwell-1994 05-09-2019 11:38 AM

It's definitely an error card, Brett was born in '53, not '63.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lowpopper 05-09-2019 12:01 PM

Answer...

This is cut from a 3 card panel. I have a few in my store.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~oUAA...6A/s-l1600.jpg

Rich Klein 05-09-2019 12:39 PM

Are you sure about that with the 3 player cut sheets?. Your silver Stadium Club cards are from 1996 and the Brett is from 1994.

Just curious because I think the Brett has no variations (1953 instead of 1963 for the birthyear).

And yes, I'd love to be proven incorrect and fix the COMC data base. One of the people on this board reminded me to look and note some 55Topps variations which I did the other night.

Regards
Rich

lowpopper 05-09-2019 01:10 PM

95 panel

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zukAA...qB/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tS0AA...p2/s-l1600.jpg

Not from 94 but this might be your missing link.

Rich Klein 05-09-2019 02:14 PM

Ok we got 1995 and 1996; I'd still love to see some 1994's before being sure about the promo

All the Brett's I checked in the COMC Data Base had the incorrect birthdate so I'm fine with that error of 1963 not being corrected.

Rich

mybestbretts 05-09-2019 02:20 PM

brett stadium club card

Thank you, thank you, this is the closest I have come to figuring it out

steve B 05-09-2019 04:21 PM

the 91 and 92 sheets have no or nearly no white space between cards. I haven't found a 94 sheet after a quick look.

The lots of extra white space and image seems wrong, but I did see a pic of a members only uncut sheet that does have white borders, so maybe.

Didn't they also have a contest/send in/boxtopper that was an oversized card? I can't recall what year that was...

jacksoncoupage 05-09-2019 05:44 PM

The fact that it includes the sheet code tells you all that you need to know.

Topps promos and pre-production cards do not contain them with the very occasional exception, ie, ABCD. The do not make three different complete sheets of promo cards as would be the case in order for Brett to receive a C designation.

This card likely came from the Leximo’s seemingly endless supply of sheet cut “oversized proofs” of junk era cards, which you can find many similar examples of on eBay. All either have the white border or measure larger as the base card.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352642994055

mybestbretts 05-09-2019 06:52 PM

stadium club promo

One of the things I had wondered if it was a giveaway at a National Convention

mrmopar 05-10-2019 07:19 PM

You got that right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 1876372)

This card likely came from the Leximo’s seemingly endless supply [/URL]

I would love to hear directly from the seller or someone who knows the seller and maybe has shared some information. This stuff is fun to collect for the oddball/player collector and certainly is not all that common, some of it maybe being the only copy out there, but where did it all come from exactly and how was it obtained? I guess it doesn't matter per se, but would be nice to have a little history behind it.

mybestbretts 05-11-2019 08:04 AM

stadium club promo

It is funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the other day that we now have no historian to track cards as information surfaces.

I have had a 1993 Jimmy Dean oversized card 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 and just found
information on it as a jimmy Dean promo card h/c.

I do remember being at a card show around the football pro bowl and they gave away cards there and have some cards stamped with a card show date.

jacksoncoupage 05-11-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybestbretts (Post 1876383)
One of the things I had wondered if it was a giveaway at a National Convention

Well, wonder no longer, they definitely are not from the National. Or any other convention for that matter.

If you had been around in the hobby in the late 80s and early 90s, you’d probably recall how common “stolen” printer’s waste sheets were at the time. Thousands of sheets were illegally removed from the facilities and cut up and distributed into the market. This didn’t stop in the early 90s, even recent issue Bowman Chrome red refractor sheets have turned up. That is exactly what these are. Very cool, fun to add to the PC but not distributed by the manufacturer or issued in packs, promotional items, etc.

Rich Klein 05-11-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybestbretts (Post 1876723)
It is funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the other day that we now have no historian to track cards as information surfaces.

I have had a 1993 Jimmy Dean oversized card 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 and just found
information on it as a jimmy Dean promo card h/c.

I do remember being at a card show around the football pro bowl and they gave away cards there and have some cards stamped with a card show date.

We do and we don't. People such as Dylan with his web site do a great job of cards from the over produced era. What we don't have is one coherent place to do information as we used to have in the days of hobby MSM. As an plug, if you want good information on this era -- go to his web site

Rich

steve B 05-12-2019 07:33 PM

I really have to start writing down the odd production differences I collect, and the just odd stuff I notice.

If you think regularly issued stuff is hard, try stuff that was HSN exclsives. I have a signature rookies set that is in a box, with a stock number, and also includes a signed card that "wasn't issued" except I have it. The set was not sold as a set, but someone did sell it as a set.... I'm pretty sure it's a shop at home product, but haven't seen any others. I remember watching a few times and seeing exclusive stuff offered, but never wrote any of it down. It was also hard to tell if it was actually exclusive, or just that nobody else was offering the same stuff in quite the same format.

Rich Klein 05-13-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1877165)
I really have to start writing down the odd production differences I collect, and the just odd stuff I notice.

If you think regularly issued stuff is hard, try stuff that was HSN exclsives. I have a signature rookies set that is in a box, with a stock number, and also includes a signed card that "wasn't issued" except I have it. The set was not sold as a set, but someone did sell it as a set.... I'm pretty sure it's a shop at home product, but haven't seen any others. I remember watching a few times and seeing exclusive stuff offered, but never wrote any of it down. It was also hard to tell if it was actually exclusive, or just that nobody else was offering the same stuff in quite the same format.

Steve: We get all sorts of Sig Rookies material at COMC and while we don't break down where it came from we do break down the differences. That at least is a start towards seeing the differences. Yesterday I broke down some signature card of which 1/2 are numbered to 6000 and 1/2 are numbered to 5750. I guarantee there is more of that from SR out there.

Rich

steve B 05-13-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1877199)
Steve: We get all sorts of Sig Rookies material at COMC and while we don't break down where it came from we do break down the differences. That at least is a start towards seeing the differences. Yesterday I broke down some signature card of which 1/2 are numbered to 6000 and 1/2 are numbered to 5750. I guarantee there is more of that from SR out there.

Rich

There's way more.

There are hockey signed promos with promo written in where the number usually goes, and individually numbered near the signature.

6000 and 5750 are pretty normal numbers, just not within the same set.

The 95 signed star squad inserts come numbered /500 or /750 and maybe others. It may be by the player, but I never saw an explanation.

You probably know about that stuff already though.:)

mybestbretts 05-13-2019 05:51 PM

stadium club promo

Thank you so much for your help

Rich Klein 05-13-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1877285)
There's way more.

There are hockey signed promos with promo written in where the number usually goes, and individually numbered near the signature.

6000 and 5750 are pretty normal numbers, just not within the same set.

The 95 signed star squad inserts come numbered /500 or /750 and maybe others. It may be by the player, but I never saw an explanation.

You probably know about that stuff already though.:)

I have not gotten to hockey yet. But will probably re-look at all baseball tomorrow. should be a ton of fun

I should also add those mid 1990's companies similar to Sig Rookies have similar issues.