Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Opinions on PSA Grades (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253523)

Fballguy 04-07-2018 10:07 AM

Opinions on PSA Grades

Just looking to get opinions. Which would you consider more desirable, a PSA 6 with OC qualifier...or the same card at PSA 4 nicely centered? Specifically, which would you pay more for?

I'm looking at a card from the 1950s. Not particularly easy to find in high grades and when it is, not particularly affordable.

But I can find some in the range I mention above and am undecided on the way to go. At some point, come retirement, I plan to sell off everything I own...so I'm considering that end game as well. Which would be easier to sell...say in 15-20 years?

Curious to get thoughts on this.

TanksAndSpartans 04-07-2018 10:16 AM

OC is a two point deduction, so to a registry collector, 6 0C = 4. In that sense, they are the same. I think all things being equal, collectors like centering and it results in a premium, but that's very difficult to prove since so many variables go into final sale price.

Republicaninmass 04-07-2018 10:19 AM

Eye appeal over grade should always bring the best return.

Hxcmilkshake 04-07-2018 10:25 AM

Are we talking a card like a 52 Mantle? Then get the 6 OC. Otherwise its probably a wash in terms of resale later. For now anyway, unless in 20 yrs we all start embracing qualifiers.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Fballguy 04-07-2018 10:44 AM

If we were talking about a 52 Mantle, the discussion would be the difference between a PSA 1 OC and a zero. :)

Appreciate the opinions on this...I like the 4 better myself. Glad to hear others would as well.

bobbyw8469 04-07-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake (Post 1765233)
Are we talking a card like a 52 Mantle? Then get the 6 OC. Otherwise its probably a wash in terms of resale later. For now anyway, unless in 20 yrs we all start embracing qualifiers.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I embrace qualifiers now. Although I'm in the minority.

Fballguy 04-07-2018 10:46 AM

As far as I can tell both cards look very close aside from the centering. I'd gladly give up a little on the corners for better centering.

jb67 04-07-2018 11:09 AM

Centering over the OC 99% of the time for me.

Bram99 04-07-2018 10:02 PM

OC for me

I'm with BobbyW8439 - I am for the card in better condition like it came from the pack, rather than centering. That said, I don't like miscuts.

But I am in the minority and I believe that on most cards the "lesser by 2 PSA grades" card will appeal to more collectors/investors than the OC card.

Part of this may be due to the relative scarcity of the OC qualifier, and thus the relatively fewer sales data points.

Another possible reason:
I have some registry sets and a PSA inventory, and on the OC's that I own, there is typically no value that PSA ascribes to the OC cards. I think that is a problem with their registry website, but if I keep buying OC cards and when I add them to my inventory and the cost of my collection is increasing, but the apparent value of the collection doesn't, I could see why some collectors would just opt for the centered example two grades lower. So I think PSA's own administration plays into the relative demand for the OC cards.

As for what will be in demand in 20 years, I am guessing cloned versions of your current house pet.

Tony

Tony

Exhibitman 04-09-2018 10:05 AM

Really depends on the card.