Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Caveat Emptor (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322743)

JimmyC 07-28-2022 05:53 AM

Caveat Emptor

Good morning - joined this site earlier this week and placed a WTB on my second day and have already hade three scammers clipping pics off the internet trying to sell something they don’t own….

Just wanted to let newbies and others know….

Be careful…..

Thanks!

Leon 07-28-2022 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC (Post 2246508)
Good morning - joined this site earlier this week and placed a WTB on my second day and have already hade three scammers clipping pics off the internet trying to sell something they don’t own….

Just wanted to let newbies and others know….

Be careful…..

Thanks!

If you let me know their id's I can ban them. We have been talking about this for several months. Caveat emptor.

JimmyC 07-28-2022 06:08 AM

I should have been more clear - no IDs - they are outsiders scanning the For Sale and Wanted section and contacting directly via email…..hard not to miss if you’ve been on these types of boards before, but still need to be careful…..

I asked who they were and how they contacted me and all the answers were wrong….make sure they post in your ad and can track IDs…

trdcrdkid 07-28-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC (Post 2246511)
I should have been more clear - no IDs - they are outsiders scanning the For Sale and Wanted section and contacting directly via email…..hard not to miss if you’ve been on these types of boards before, but still need to be careful…..

I asked who they were and how they contacted me and all the answers were wrong….make sure they post in your ad and can track IDs…

Yeah, that's why it's better to ask people to contact you by PM rather than e-mail. Then at least they need to be a member. Still need to be careful even then. Clicking on their username to look at their post history is a good place to start.

NiceDocter 07-28-2022 09:06 AM

Maybe

I don’t have my email listed on Net54 WTB posts but give it out all the time to fellow board members. I think the scammers don’t bug you as much if they don’t have an access to your email and have to PM you instead.

bnorth 07-28-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2246545)
I don’t have my email listed on Net54 WTB posts but give it out all the time to fellow board members. I think the scammers don’t bug you as much if they don’t have an access to your email and have to PM you instead.

Any member can send you a email. They don't have access to what your email address is though.

bn2cardz 07-28-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2246582)
Any member can send you a email. They don't have access to what your email address is though.

But this OP did put their email in the post, so they don't need to be members to reach out.

frankbmd 07-28-2022 10:46 AM

Ycagwyw

Maybe BST should be split into B and ST, if WTB is an invitation for scammers. Personally I've used WTB posts sparingly, perhaps for my '55 Mutant set, many of which were donated though.

"You can't always get what you want"

BobbyStrawberry 07-28-2022 10:50 AM

Personally, if I get an email from an unknown person like that, I'm just telling them "contact me via pm so I can verify who you are", especially if they have an email like Robert.Jones64751@gmail.com like so many of them seem to...

Jobu 07-28-2022 11:25 AM

Agree with bn2 above - the OP's problem is probably that his email is in the body of his WTB post. Non-members can see those. I think the only things non-members can't see are photo uploads - and they have no ability to contact people through Net54.

Remove your email from your post and have people send you a pm or email you through Net54's system.

JimmyC 07-28-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 2246598)
Agree with bn2 above - the OP's problem is probably that his email is in the body of his WTB post. Non-members can see those. I think the only things non-members can't see are photo uploads - and they have no ability to contact people through Net54.

Remove your email from your post and have people send you a pm or email you through Net54's system.

Agree - great feedback all.....

Jobu 07-28-2022 11:57 AM

Also - glad you didn't get scammed!!

Jobu 07-28-2022 12:08 PM

Someone just pointed out to me that I was wrong - when you are not logged in you also do not have access to the BST. So either these are non-members who found a way around that and can see the BST or they do actually have accounts.

Eric72 07-28-2022 12:38 PM

Perhaps one (or more) scammer has a valid account and allows their crew to use the login creds. This would give the group access to view BST threads. It seems like many of the scammers have a similar MO.