Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Offered to me today,,,, :) :) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258274)

RichardSimon 08-05-2018 07:20 PM

Offered to me today,,,, :) :)

1 Attachment(s)
I got an email offering this to me today.
It is obviously a terrible forgery.
And funny too.
She died in 1970.
This Greatest Hits album came out in 1972-73.

mr2686 08-06-2018 02:46 AM

Lmao!

earlywynnfan 08-06-2018 02:19 PM

What did they say when you pointed out the dates?

D. Bergin 08-06-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1801226)

"I know it's real, because my grandfather only bought good stuff and he's had it for at least 20 years.............and he knew Janis Joplin, and of course it's real because he's as honest as the day is long...................and......are you callin' my grandfather a liar?..........because if you are, that's reprehensible, because he was a veteran and he loved god.....I hope you are ashamed of yourself, because all I feel is pity for you. I will shop this elsewhere and find it a good home.

Have a blessed day."

:D:D:D

Terrier8HOF 08-06-2018 03:48 PM

if its one thing I hate, its a dumb forger

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-06-2018 04:07 PM

Oddly enough I'm grateful for dumb forgers. It's the smart forgers that I'm not real fond of...

RichardSimon 08-06-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1801226)

She had originally told me it was bought at a garage sale.
When I told her about the dates she wrote me back and said "oh thanks, I just found that out myself."
I wrote back and said, "If you say so." She did not answer that.

Scott Garner 08-06-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1801235)
"I know it's real, because my grandfather only bought good stuff and he's had it for at least 20 years.............and he knew Janis Joplin, and of course it's real because he's as honest as the day is long...................and......are you callin' my grandfather a liar?..........because if you are, that's reprehensible, because he was a veteran and he loved god.....I hope you are ashamed of yourself, because all I feel is pity for you. I will shop this elsewhere and find it a good home.

Have a blessed day."

:D:D:D

Wow, I love it! :D:D:D:D

Mr. Zipper 08-07-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1801255)
Oddly enough I'm grateful for dumb forgers. It's the smart forgers that I'm not real fond of...

Unfortunately the dumb, laughable forgers lull many collectors into a sense of false confidence. The skilled forgers love this.

Runscott 08-07-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1801614)
Unfortunately the dumb, laughable forgers lull many collectors into a sense of false confidence. The skilled forgers love this.

Fortunately, if you are a collector whose money is important to you, with some research it can become easy to spot the work of the "skilled forgers", as they are consistent and they have tells. I'm constantly amazed at how much money is spent in major auctions on gorgeous single-signed Babe Ruth balls that are clear forgeries. I realize they aren't "clear forgeries" to everyone, but if you are dropping $15K+ on a Ruth ball, you would think you would do a little research.

^
||
==== that's a dead horse we've been beating for 20 years, but apparently there are still bits of hair, bone and grissle remaining.