Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How to Identify Game Used Bats (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276702)

todeen 12-08-2019 12:32 AM

How to Identify Game Used Bats

Sorry, not quite sure which thread to place this in. I've never bought a game used bat, but there is a Joey Votto signed, game used one on ebay. I figured it would have a MLB Authenticated sticker, but it does not. It also doesn't look like it was EVER used in a game, making me think it would be game-issued instead. It doesn't even appear to have pine tar on it. What's everyone thoughts?

I'm not interested in buying, just looking to gain some knowledge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joey-Votto-....c100033.m2042

Jim65 12-08-2019 04:56 AM

I don't know Votto's bats so cannot speak to authenticity. The bat does appear unused. Sellers says "lightly used" but doesn't give any specifics, not sure if he's being intentionally vague. You should contact them and ask what the light use includes.

When I sell a GU bat I always put specifics when it comes to game use.

bnorth 12-08-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1937023)
Sorry, not quite sure which thread to place this in. I've never bought a game used bat, but there is a Joey Votto signed, game used one on ebay. I figured it would have a MLB Authenticated sticker, but it does not. It also doesn't look like it was EVER used in a game, making me think it would be game-issued instead. It doesn't even appear to have pine tar on it. What's everyone thoughts?

I'm not interested in buying, just looking to gain some knowledge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joey-Votto-....c100033.m2042

I can't help with that bat. What I can do is offer advice. If you do decide to collect bats do A LOT of research before you start buying.

I started buying bats a couple years ago. I have noticed that almost all are misidentified by the seller.

Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used is the correct section to post in for bats. I have got some great advice from fellow members n the past.

Neal 12-08-2019 10:11 AM

I collected gamers a few years back, and could identify legit bats with relative ease. These were mostly vintage bats from the 70s and 80s, so I am not that familiar with the newer labels.

Joey Votto is a big enough star to have his name on the barrel. That one does not, so I'd be leary of that bat even being issued to him. Looks like these were offered during a signing.

Pass.

bnorth 12-08-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1937102)
I collected gamers a few years back, and could identify legit bats with relative ease. These were mostly vintage bats from the 70s and 80s, so I am not that familiar with the newer labels.

Joey Votto is a big enough star to have his name on the barrel. That one does not, so I'd be leary of that bat even being issued to him. Looks like these were offered during a signing.

Pass.

So is it signed twice then or am I missing something.:confused:

Jim65 12-08-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1937216)
So is it signed twice then or am I missing something.:confused:

His name is there, its a signature model.

steve B 12-08-2019 08:38 PM

Marking the model number on both the knob and barrel end seems odd.

Unless he was trying out some different ones ?

todeen 12-10-2019 05:11 PM

Thanks for the comments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JoeDfan 12-11-2019 05:35 PM

I have learned a TON in the last few years, by:
1) My own research;
2) Asking (limited) questions to the experts, like the great people on here, who are literally a wealth of knowledge;
3) My own constant research;
4) Buying every book I can get my hands on, like Vince Malta's book;
5) Doing hours and hours of my own research.

When I look at a potential bat like that, the first thing I do is google exemplars that are known to be "legit".
Make sure the model is correct for the time period. I see a lot of these on ebay that are clearly wrong; although Ben is correct, a lot of time, the sellers have no idea what they are selling. I bought a Yaz bat from a guy who said it was just a pro stock, and it turned out to be a gamer (and I got a PSA letter for it, so it wasn't just my opinion). Another guy swore it was a Judge gamer, but no one believed him. I did my research, and he was right (and now it is my bat, with a PSA letter).
In your case, I did find an exemplar with "M356" on the knob with a quick search, so I conclude that is a good sign. It would be nice if you could see the stamping on the knob though.
I would not call that one "game used", I think the experts say "game ready".
Big price difference between the two.
A lot of times, if it has use, there might be a distinct use pattern. You would have to research that for each player.

I used to collect cards, but now I am almost exclusively a bat guy (also a jersey from time to time). It is amazing to hold a bat that your childhood hero once actually used, and often, you can get one for the same price as one of those green/limited number/serialized/atomic refractor card thingys. :D