Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Trout Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239819)

Sivart31 05-16-2017 12:29 PM

Trout Question

Hey All, it seems crazy to me that authentic Trout cards are going for $125 plus! On the flip side, his signature like most contemporary guys, is so sloppy it seems tough to aihenticate. Perhaps this is too philosophical for this board, but do you think his signatures will retain value like many vintage autographs do? Obviously this depends on whether his career mirrors an all-timer like Mays, an elite hofer like Griffey and health and such. Anyway, fun to ponder. Also, if anyone has a low grade Trout, I am interested!

bbcard1 05-16-2017 12:57 PM

I would not be surprised if it holds. Babe Ruth signed more autographs than any human in history until Mickey Mantle and the Mick signed nearly without ceasing...and yet both held value. Mike Trout is a good signer and I have seen him sign lots in spring training (though I have never been the personal beneficiary of it). Barring some spectacular fall from grace, I think his values will hold.

felada 05-16-2017 03:47 PM

Jeter is a good comparison to a modern player. He has been signing for 20+ years and his signature values seems to be holding steady and I'm sure Steiner will jack up the prices when he makes the hof.

Kco 05-18-2017 05:48 PM

I think he will hold, assuming he plays at this level for another 6-8 years. He is this currrnt young generations Pujols/Arod type player. Taking PEDs, hopefully, out of the mix. As an all around player he is the best positional player in the game and has been for the past 5 years. If he maintains that or very close to that level of play for the next 5+ years, he will already be talked about in the convo for top 25 player all time. Face of the game. He's like Pujols/Ichiro/Jeter/Miguel Cabrera. None have lost any value and all have signed quite extensively for the better part of 2 decades.

packs 05-19-2017 07:21 AM

His playing on the Angels is a huge benefit to the collecting community because it keeps his prices way lower than they would be if Steiner ever sunk their teeth into him. I think he will end up being one of the top 5 players of all time. I could see him being a 500 homer / 500 stolen base guy with 3,000 hits and he has the potential to end up in the top 5 in runs scored. His current OPS plus of 172 is 6th all time with only the heaviest of hitters ahead of him. And he's only 25.

chaddurbin 05-19-2017 10:38 AM

i'm a big trout fan, and even i won't say he'll be top 5 all time...just too many variables, but at the trajectory he's on that's certainly not out of the question. imo harper is more offensively talented with his god-given natural abilities, but i'll take the steady efficiency of trout going forward.

as for the graphs trout's have at least doubled the last year. i was buying raw trout sigs for $30-$50 nowadays even the fakes go for $80+ and real ones are all over $100. unlike harper he still signs a ton for being a superduper star and does mlb signings for around $200-$225 so not sure his prices will ever be jeter level. kinda like how hank aaron is the living GOAT but his price is $275 while koufax and mays is $400+.

edit: my top 5: ruth, cobb, walter, teddy, bonds

packs 05-19-2017 12:51 PM

I mean, if Trout can manage to win one more MVP he will be one of only 11 players with 3 MVPs and he could theoretically already have 5 of them. The list of 3 time winners is a who's who of players:

Bonds
Arod
Jimmie Foxx
Mike Schmidt
Yogi
Campy
Joe D
Mantle
Musial
Pujols