Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Boxing Exhibits Checklist (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63537)

Archive 05-29-2003 03:32 PM

Boxing Exhibits Checklist

Posted By: <b>Hanrkon</b><p>I would like to locate the complete checklists to the 1950s-60s Exhibit Supply Co. Boxing Cards. If anyone can help, let me know. Thanks

Archive 05-29-2003 04:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>In case you are wondering why:<BR><BR><a href="http://www.cycleback.com/exhibit/index.html" target=_new>http://www.cycleback.com/exhibit/index.html</a>

Archive 05-30-2003 12:10 PM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I have catalogued nearly every Exhibit boxing card from 1921 to the end.

Archive 05-30-2003 01:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Adam was on my mind when I made the post. I will buy a copy of the book when it comes out.<BR><BR>The funny thing is, is that I have Exhibit Supply Co. original art for boxing and non-boxing cards. I received them in folders, the front having what I assume is the hanwriting of the Exhibit Supply Co.'s owner. On some it says 'Complete Set.' On another it says, 'Complete Set?,' possibly meaning that even the owner didn't have a complete checklist of the cards.<BR><BR>Some of the boxing art came in a folder titled 'Complete Set,' but I need a reliable checklist to make sure.<BR><BR>

Archive 05-31-2003 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I can tell you right now that anyone who claims to have a complete set of less than several hundred cards has no idea what they are talking about. In brief, the company started a practice at the outset of its product run of reprinting and reusing older format card fronts. This was not confusing from 1921-1928 when the company (with a few notable exceptions) put copyright dates on the card backs (along with bios and records, BTW). Beginning with the Depression, however, and running to the end of the card run, the company dropped the card back printing and copyright dating. It has also been proven through reference to the company's advertising materials that the company printed popular boxers' cards from earlier print runs in later print runs of different styles (this also happened with the "1939-1947" Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams Salutations cards, which is why they are relatively easy to find today and why the popularly accepted catalogue dates are really not accurate as it relates to those players). The best documented example of this practice in the boxing field is the company's use of the Jake La Motta "salutation" type card (the sole La Motta it made) well into the 1950's with its "regular" runs of cards. I have a photocopy of an advertising card listing a print run of 32 cards from the 1950's that includes both La Motta (known only in the salutations format) and Marciano (known only in a format showing just his name in a mock autograph style). Given this blending of "sets", many collectors try (fruitlessly, IMHO) to differentiate between different print runs based on ink color and shape, case and size of the tag line (Made in USA or Printed in USA). This rapidly turns into a mess because many cards are known in more than one format due to reuse in later print runs. The longer a boxer was popular and in contention, the more variations can be found in the minute printing details. <BR><BR>My experience is that when someone talks about a "set" of these cards from the 1950's, they are referring to a print run (each sheet was 32 cards) or more typically to a cluster of 32 cards with similar characteristics that they have grouped together.

Archive 05-31-2003 12:30 PM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Interesting, Adam. It's a bit of a different story for me, as I have the art that the cards (and their variations) were made from, so mine is easier to get a handle on. I'm not dealing with exponential variations. Some of the folders are clearly marked 'complete set' and even given the era. However, I know that I am missing a few examples in other areas. For example, I have various Sugar Ray Robinsons, but have seen one Exhibit pose that I don't have.<BR>

Archive 05-31-2003 01:25 PM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>but you may have a "set" that consists of a print run. Unfortunately, they blended cards from different print runs together, so I am not comfortable using the term "set" for them. I'll send you the checklist via email so you can review it for yourself, but I'd ask that you not post it on your web site (I'd like to give the book a decent shot at success).

Archive 06-01-2003 02:53 AM

Posted By: <b>RC McKenzie</b><p>It looks like Warshawlaw is Van Gundy to Cycleback's Larry Brown. Collaborate and get it on the market thru Krause. LOL

Archive 06-01-2003 11:24 AM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Actually, RC, Adam and I briefly discussed this subject elsewhere and some info on the art I have may appear in his upcoming boxing cards book. I know precious little about the boxing card genre, and Adam gets final say on what compromises a 'set' and what does not.