Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   As it pertains to baseball, what is your favorite era? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227606)

Eric72 08-26-2016 08:48 PM

As it pertains to baseball, what is your favorite era?

I voted for 1946 - 1960. The players from this era, and their accomplishments, resonate most deeply with me. In my humble opinion, this was the greatest era the game ever saw.

Of course, others will have differing opinions. And that is not only fine, it is encouraged.

I am interested to see the answers to this question set forth in a quantitative manner. As such, I attached a poll.

bnorth 08-26-2016 09:01 PM

For me it is the 80's and 90's. I picked then because it is when I went to hundreds of games and watched baseball every chance I could. I know they are basically worthless but thumbing through junk era cards brings a bigger smile to my face than any vintage cards ever could.

Yes I realize my answer is not in the poll but it is my favorite time in baseball history.:)

the 'stache 08-26-2016 09:19 PM

I voted for '45 to '60, too. Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Al Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Duke Snider, Ernie Banks, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts. Hard to top that.

clydepepper 08-27-2016 05:31 AM

I voted for 1961-75, but could include 1976-93.

1961-75 included Koufax's prime, the Miracle Mets, the start of Nolan Ryan's career and the ending of Mickey's.

1976-93 included the Braves finally starting to win and the retirement of Ryan, Brett & Yount whose HOF inductions I would travel a long way to witness six years later.

1994 started with the canceling of the World Series - the action that both the owners AND the players' union had a part in.

A hard lesson was hopefully learned that you do not EVER AGAIN lock out or strike DURING the season.

For this reason, I cringe every time the 14 straight division titles are mentioned.

The Braves won in a strike-effected year of 1995 and continued to pay well the rest of the decade.

While the modern era has been fun, I can do without walk-up music at live games and background music behind broadcasted highlights.

KCRfan1 08-27-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1577654)
I voted for '45 to '60, too. Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Al Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Duke Snider, Ernie Banks, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts. Hard to top that.

+1 Me too Bill.

RTK 08-27-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1577639)
I voted for 1946 - 1960. The players from this era, and their accomplishments, resonate most deeply with me. In my humble opinion, this was the greatest era the game ever saw.

Of course, others will have differing opinions. And that is not only fine, it is encouraged.

I am interested to see the answers to this question set forth in a quantitative manner. As such, I attached a poll.

Agreed, despite my not being alive for it. New York still had three teams, all the old ballparks still existed, baseball was the #1 sport, great announcers, iconic players and the color barrier was broken.

Jim65 08-27-2016 10:51 AM

I could never vote for an era I've never seen, so I chose 1976-1993.

Vintagevault13 08-27-2016 04:28 PM

1970-80

Great teams (Swinging A's, Big Red Machine, Yankees), dominant pitchers (Ryan, Seaver, Carlton, Palmer), iconic players that defined the decade (Reggie, Rose, Bench, Munson, Brett, Yaz) and entertaining managers that made the game more interesting (Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Lasorda).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bravos4evr 08-27-2016 04:29 PM

Being a Braves fan I would have selected 90-2000 but since that wasn't an option I went with 1994+. It was the start of the Maddux era in Atlanta and also when we won our only WS of that time. Best decade of baseball in my life!

As a collector, I like the players of the 70's and 80's as they were my childhood heroes.

Peter_Spaeth 08-27-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1577654)

Cobb, Wagner, Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, Jackson, Young, Johnson, Mathewson, Alexander, Plank. Plus Ruth as a pitcher. Hard to top THAT.

jiw98 08-27-2016 08:17 PM

I voted 61-75. I guess it's because those are the years of my youth. Listening to Ernie Harwell on the radio was a great time. I still have a hard time listening to the current Tiger announcers.

Sean 08-28-2016 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 (Post 1577993)
1970-80

Great teams (Swinging A's, Big Red Machine, Yankees), dominant pitchers (Ryan, Seaver, Carlton, Palmer), iconic players that defined the decade (Reggie, Rose, Bench, Munson, Brett, Yaz) and entertaining managers that made the game more interesting (Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Lasorda).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have voted '65-'80.

Topps206 08-28-2016 01:46 PM

I voted postwar, pre-expansion, but the 1903-1919 era has really grown on me thanks in large part to the T206 set.

the 'stache 08-29-2016 08:12 PM

I don't argue that there were an awful lot of great players in the game back then. It wasn't an easy choice for me, and that would probably be my second selection. But the personal connection to the great Milwaukee Braves teams of the mid to late 50s is something that isn't present in the dead ball era. They were the third best team in the game behind the Yankees and Dodgers. For me, that became the tie breaker. I also think the game in the 50s was more open, having players from the Negro Leagues finally being allowed to enter the Majors.

From a sheer talent perspective, I don't know if I could choose one over the other. So, sentiment made the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1578049)
Cobb, Wagner, Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, Jackson, Young, Johnson, Mathewson, Alexander, Plank. Plus Ruth as a pitcher. Hard to top THAT.