Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Probstein and scg (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238457)

nicknock-2013 04-17-2017 03:33 PM

Probstein and scg

Received several different packages from Probstein123 recently and in each one was a SCG brochure.
Having dealt with SCG several times in the last six months and feeling their customer service is below average I've been frequenting their message boards to see how others feel about the same issue. Seems they are on the ropes. Disgruntled comments all over the message boards. Personally I'll never deal with them again.
Are they going down? And are these inserted brochures a last ditch effort to drum up business.
Never seen PSA or Beckett do this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Republicaninmass 04-17-2017 05:18 PM

All of a sudden I've had two cards come back much lower than I thought because if "centering". Since when do they care? If I wanted low grades without qualifiers, I'll just use psa.

Also, I have an auto sub there taking forever. Upsetting since I could have just had them slab it in person for the same cost. Since they hired another authenticator, I figured it would be fastwr

nicknock-2013 04-17-2017 07:54 PM

Been waiting almost two months now for hockey autographs to be slabbed. Funny thing or not so funny when I think about it is I handed them personally at a recent show. PSA much faster. Gave up on SCG. I call and hear the same thing over and over. We're behind on that right now. Uh yeah no kidding.

irishdenny 04-20-2017 01:20 AM

Do You Really Mean ta Say... "SGC" ?

Timbegs 04-20-2017 01:28 PM

If they hired a new grader and have so much to grade that they can't get them back to you quickly, I don't think they'd be going out of business anytime soon. If you look around, there's plenty of people who think each grading company is clueless. As for all of them, I think they are all:

1. Harder on my cards than I am (which is hand in hand with)
2. Better at it than I am (so I am not going to complain to them. If anything, the seller; I never have but would have liked to once or twice)
3. Unique (certain flaws seem to play better at certain places in terms of effect on grade )
4. Acceptably Mistake prone (they all have some that slip by both over and under graded)
5. Mostly ethical

If I didn't feel this way, I wouldn't send them in. And if you don't, you shouldn't. They're worth more ungraded in some cases anyway (in the sense that you can haggle over condition AND price). And I speak up for SGC because that's where I send and I have never had anything but great service and experience. Don't email, call! They pick right up, are cordial and helpful every time. As for the insert, they recently launched a Gold Club that some of the auction houses are helping them market. I haven't joined but may as a few of the Specials have appealed to me. I think $120 bucks gets you 10 free grades, access to the specials and some other stuff I don't really care about. There's a higher cost option with more free grades and more stuff I don't care about - I just remember it being a little to expensive - I got one as well in a mailed auction win. I understand it can be bitterly disappointing or incredibly satisfying when your enjoyment level is tied to the grade it receives. As a collector, I think you have to let it go or you'll go crazy. As a dealer, I imagine it is the bane of your business existence.

Good luck in the future...

bnorth 04-21-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknock-2013 (Post 1651680)
Received several different packages from Probstein123 recently and in each one was a SCG brochure.
Having dealt with SCG several times in the last six months and feeling their customer service is below average I've been frequenting their message boards to see how others feel about the same issue. Seems they are on the ropes. Disgruntled comments all over the message boards. Personally I'll never deal with them again.
Are they going down? And are these inserted brochures a last ditch effort to drum up business.
Never seen PSA or Beckett do this.

Never noticed that, probably because I would never buy anything from Problemstein. As far as SGC I have never had a problem with their amazing costumer service. Have had them take longer than expected to grade stuff but have had that problem with everybody.