Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to spot a trimmed card? An example? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272208)

Billy5858 08-10-2019 02:36 PM

How to spot a trimmed card? An example?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Just wanted some info from you experts on here.
Leon if this post is inappropriate I’ll take down. Or
maybe just steer me to the appropriate thread and I’ll be
on my way. Or maybe just tell me what you guys think about this card.
With all that’s going on I’m kinda scared to buy graded
cards from PSA these days especially ones with the new flip.
Does the inside holder adjust to fit the card or are they all the same
for Tobacco and Caramel cards.
To me this card looks trimmed on top. Has sharper corners and a cleaner
edge. Plus there is a space on top between the top edge and holder.
I looked at a bunch of other E93’s and none had this space on top.
They all fit snugly. I’m not touching this card
Thanks

Johnny630 08-10-2019 02:47 PM

Number one who is the seller

Billy5858 08-10-2019 02:49 PM

Not that four letter company

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-10-2019 02:58 PM

I look for "Bat ears" do the sides leading up to the corner give the appearance of being a tiny bid concave? Does the corner project PAST where it would end f there is no wear? Not all trimmed cards have these issues, but I think it's a rare card that has these issues and is untrimmed. With a note to how small your image is the upper right corner appears to be a bat ear to me.

x2drich2000 08-10-2019 03:01 PM

Hi Bill,

The holder on the inside does not adjust to the card, they are manufactured that way. One of the key things a lot of people keeps mentioning during this whole PSA issue is that if a card is 1/16 off it must be trimmed or if the card is the right size, then it is fine. These may be clues, but neither of these types of statements is always going to be accurate. Prewar cards, and even cards today, were/are not perfectly cut at the factory. There are variations in the dimensions of most cards. In addition, card doctors for years have been able to play play with the size of cards by pressing and trimming.

That said, I could see why would have concerns over the top edge, but wouldn't feel comfortable making a judgement without a much larger and clearer scan.

Throttlesteer 08-10-2019 04:20 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't believe this card is trimmed. It has a slight diamond cut and the wear looks consistent on the corners. I've seen the other (better) pictures of the card.

Billy5858 08-10-2019 04:33 PM

Thank guys

bnorth 08-10-2019 04:47 PM

Get a Carson MM-200 60-100X top lighted microscope. Then look at the edges and the trimmed edge(s) will stick out like a sore thumb.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-10-2019 05:31 PM

Also in the case of this particular card it should be fairly easy to research it and see if you can find a larger version with a matching "fingerprint"

GasHouseGang 08-10-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1907270)
Get a Carson MM-200 60-100X top lighted microscope. Then look at the edges and the trimmed edge(s) will stick out like a sore thumb.

I would love to see an actual example (picture) of what to look for. I'm assuming for some issues it's obvious, but for others it isn't. I doubt if PSA even owns a microscope.

bnorth 08-10-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1907295)
I would love to see an actual example (picture) of what to look for. I'm assuming for some issues it's obvious, but for others it isn't. I doubt if PSA even owns a microscope.

The microscope I recommended is about the size of a cigarette lighter so it is very easy to use.

Just look at a known good card and then look at the one in question. If it has been trimmed you will know it. Can't really explain what to look for because there are so many different ways to trim a card. Each one looks different than a factory cut.

GasHouseGang 08-11-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1907300)
The microscope I recommended is about the size of a cigarette lighter so it is very easy to use.

Just look at a known good card and then look at the one in question. If it has been trimmed you will know it. Can't really explain what to look for because there are so many different ways to trim a card. Each one looks different than a factory cut.

You know what, I think I'll give it a try. They are so cheap that there's no excuse not to.

Billy5858 08-11-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1907327)
You know what, I think I'll give it a try. They are so cheap that there's no excuse not to.

+1

bxb 08-11-2019 06:08 AM

Somebody should make a you-tube video of this subject, the knowledge is so visual.

I think I'm not alone in having trouble distinguishing minor factory miscuts from expert trimmers on the older cards.

It could be part of the required training for new TPG company graders (assuming it isn't already).

Fuddjcal 08-11-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1907261)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't believe this card is trimmed. It has a slight diamond cut and the wear looks consistent on the corners. I've seen the other (better) pictures of the card.

slight diamond cut is a good way to tell the card is trimmed. All cards are trimmed until further notice. AND that one appears soaked and bleached too. IMHO.

ullmandds 08-11-2019 11:31 AM

Sure looks trimmed to me.

Billy5858 08-11-2019 02:27 PM

Yeah I’m staying away from it.
Just doesn’t look right

brianp-beme 08-11-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1907411)
slight diamond cut is a good way to tell the card is trimmed. All cards are trimmed until further notice. AND that one appears soaked and bleached too. IMHO.

A diamond cut does NOT automatically indicate a trim. Having said that, at least by what can be seen from the scan, the card seems to have a funky top border on left side, so a good possibility of trimming.

brian

Leon 08-14-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1907499)
A diamond cut does NOT automatically indicate a trim. Having said that, at least by what can be seen from the scan, the card seems to have a funky top border on left side, so a good possibility of trimming.

brian

+1 It is a smaller top border for sure...

That said E93s can have slight differences in size too. (as has been mentioned)

Santo10Fan 08-18-2019 08:07 PM

Found one! https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...mbnail-071515#

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-18-2019 10:04 PM

Hard to tell through the case...

Billy5858 08-19-2019 01:01 AM

I don’t like surface creases I’ll pass.

Fuddjcal 08-19-2019 07:26 AM

a good rule of thumb is that if you see a card in a PSA plastic holder, there is a really good chance it's trimmed, IMHO.