Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1914 Cracker Jack Cobb Authentic or Altered (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345031)

Schlesinj 01-13-2024 05:41 PM

1914 Cracker Jack Cobb Authentic or Altered

2 Attachment(s)
Having this discussion with a buddy.

What say you?

Attachment 605315

Attachment 605316

Leon 01-13-2024 06:19 PM

I prefer

Evidence of trimming as it looks nicer. I usually prefer authentic though..

Fred 01-13-2024 06:58 PM

Holy crap, the TPG actually used the AUTHENTIC label and indicated "evidence of trimming." Yes, I'm surprised. It'd be funny if it were cracked, resubmitted to another TPG and came back with a numerical grade. It's a pseudo-8!

In the past, I thought AUTHENTIC meant the card was pretty trashed (but real) and/or there was evidence of some type of alteration. It's nice to see the TPG actually called out the alteration and labeled it as such. I tell you what, if the price to be paid was less than a "1" (because of the alteration), then I wouldn't mind having it because at least it presents very nice.

Edited to add - it'd be nice to see the back and the wear on the rear.

Schlesinj 01-13-2024 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You ask, you shall receive.

Attachment 605333

Rhotchkiss 01-13-2024 08:01 PM

I wouldn’t buy either, but if forced to choose, I would go with the trimmed one all day long.

Fred 01-13-2024 08:18 PM

I'm not a CJ expert. If memory serves me correctly, most or all the 1914s I've owned had staining. Does someone that knows CJs have an estimate of what percentage of 1914 CJs have staining?

BearBailey 01-13-2024 08:24 PM

Neither. But if you like one you need the make that decision.

3-2-count 01-13-2024 09:13 PM

Neither for me!

yanksfan09 01-13-2024 09:19 PM

I voted wrong, so chalk another up for the trimmed column. I saw the trimmed had authentic on flip so I clicked that without seeing both flips said authentic.

I'd much rather have a trimmed/altered nice looking card thats labeled as such, then one really hammered, all other things being equal...

Jstottlemire1 01-13-2024 09:21 PM

I’d take the trimmed as well of two as well. Superior eye appeal.

Leon 01-17-2024 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2404561)
Neither for me!

LOL.....
Most would rather the better eye appeal, if they wanted one at all.
I generally steer clear of AUTs also. This OJ, I think was only miscut and not altered. But what do I know?
(not sure why I have it, actually)

pete zouras 01-17-2024 11:05 AM

Neither. Ted Z would have claimed CJs are not cards.

JamesGallo 01-17-2024 09:35 PM

Problem

You have one major problem here, why is the 2nd card authentic. It is possible that that was what was requested rather then a 1. It is also possible that when it was graded sgc did not add the reason and the card is also altered. Without knowing that i can not make a choice.
The beat card looks ok size wise and just looks worn so it makes you wonder why its doesnt have a number grade.

James G

cgjackson222 01-18-2024 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGallo (Post 2405652)
You have one major problem here, why is the 2nd card authentic. It is possible that that was what was requested rather then a 1. It is also possible that when it was graded sgc did not add the reason and the card is also altered. Without knowing that i can not make a choice.
The beat card looks ok size wise and just looks worn so it makes you wonder why its doesnt have a number grade.

James G

According to SGC’s website, the bottom Authentic card was graded in November 2023, well after SGC started specifying the reason for Authentic grades(Miscut, Altered, Added Color, Evidence of trimming).

It may have received the Authentic grade because it is partially held together by tape in the bottom corner (if tape is still present), or because it is missing such a large chunk of its corner (amongst other defects).

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-18-2024 04:39 AM

It's not just trimming, is it? Surface is far too clean on both sides. I'm not a CJ collector, or even a card collector anymore, but if I was, I'd want some staining on my CJs. It's just part of the deal, if you will.

Even so, I'd vote trim/clean job....nope! Changed my stance! See below.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-18-2024 04:42 AM

I am digging the $10 price point pencilled on the back of the chipped one, though! Even the little piece of tape isn't without its charms. I think it's great that nobody tried to erase the pencilled price before having it slabbed. I may have to change my vote, here. It's unique and doesn't look like it's had a really bad breast augmentation.

Reminds me of an autographed index card that was in my possession. A dealer who came before me wrote "$1.00" in pencil in a top corner. Wish I had been around to buy the guy out! Its value is now in the hundreds.

JamesGallo 01-18-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2405669)
According to SGC’s website, the bottom Authentic card was graded in November 2023, well after SGC started specifying the reason for Authentic grades(Miscut, Altered, Added Color, Evidence of trimming).

It may have received the Authentic grade because it is partially held together by tape in the bottom corner (if tape is still present), or because it is missing such a large chunk of its corner (amongst other defects).

If the tape is the reason the shouldnt it have been listed as altered. It does not look like the tape has reattached that corner, so i would be someone requested an authentic grade and that it should have gotten a 1, so from a value stand point that would likely be the better card. I also agree that the trimmed example looks too clean so if your trimming a card it would be easy to clean it as well. Much would be a personal preference but there is still very little love in the hobby for “restored” cards so the beater is better on several counts.

James G

Beercan collector 01-18-2024 07:50 AM

I believe you can request a card to be graded “authentic“
The label “poor” doesn’t bother me but some may prefer
Authentic over Poor

Schlesinj 01-28-2024 01:41 PM

Final result was authentic altered sold for $21.8k (after BP) (20 bidders and 27 bids) the authentic $10.8k (15 bidders 22 bids)