Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Home and Away? Uniforms (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=61952)

Archive 07-15-2002 12:10 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>David&nbsp; </b><p>In the 1920s and 30s, did some or all Major League teams have home and away (or otherwise different) jerseys? Does anyone know when home and away jerseys came about? <BR><BR>This question relates, in particular, to Mel Ott (NY Giants) and the diffent styles of jerseys he appear in.

Archive 07-15-2002 01:49 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>There was a really good book published about 10 years ago, I think authored by Dan Okerent, that detailed every know jersey style for every team adn every year. He used mostly drawings it illustrate the different uniforms better, but that doesn't keep this book from being a must-have for vintage uniform collectors or those looking to date photos by the uniform worn.<BR><BR>You might be able to backorder it through a book store, or check the SABR website. I am pretty sure they offer it for sale there since Dan is a longtime member and one of the people responsible for getting me hooked on fantasy baseball 20 years ago.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 07-15-2002 02:26 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Thanks for the heads up, Jay, I will keep on the lookout for the book.

Archive 07-15-2002 02:32 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>Jeff Obermeyer</b><p>The book is called "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" by Marc Okkonen. My edition is from 1991, but I do believe that there was a second edition as well.<BR><BR>The book shows drawings of the home and road uniforms for every team in the majors going back to 1900. So to answer David's question, the Giants did have different home and road uniforms. <BR><BR>David, if you need some specific info you can email me.<BR><BR>Jeff<BR>jobermeyer2@attbi.com<BR>

Archive 07-15-2002 03:30 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>scott (runscott)</b><p>I was stunned at all the incredible vintage baseball uniforms he owned!<br><br>--------------------------------------------<BR> Disclaimer<BR>I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Archive 07-15-2002 05:10 PM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>It helps when you are a limited partner of the Yankees in acquire all those uniforms. It's still incredible none the less. Sadly, many of the things he acquired should have gone to HOF instead of into a private collection where the general public cannot see them.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 07-16-2002 10:36 AM

Home and Away? Uniforms

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Does anyone know how to get ahold of those futuristic jerseys they played in a couple of years ago. I prefer the Twins, but would be interested in any team.<BR><BR>Lee