Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Card selling scenerio- Big lie or not (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249218)

1952boyntoncollector 12-23-2017 09:53 AM

Card selling scenerio- Big lie or not

Example

Card for sale. Asking $1000, buyer offers $500.

Seller says he has $900 in the card so to feed his family he HAS to get $900 only because he paid $900 for it, perhaps on his credit card and needs to pay the credit card back and the $900 is needed avoid foreclosure as well.

Buyer would never pay $900, but based on these representations, he relies on the Seller and pays $900.

One week later, seller says on public forum that he only paid $400 for the card and shouts his happiness that he made $500 on the card (lets assume what he says is true on this)

Do we feel the buyer should be able to the deal canceled and get his money back because the seller admittedly lied about the purchase price and reason for selling and buyer otherwise would not have paid?

Its not an issue of an altered card, or fraud card etc.

What you guys think....i not looking for legal opinions, just looking what you guys think

Peter_Spaeth 12-23-2017 10:25 AM

I would lean towards no, it's on the buyer if he overpaid based on sympathy or other considerations irrelevant to the commercial value of the card, but at the same time the lying seller should be ostracized.

D. Bergin 12-23-2017 11:02 AM

Nobody pays an extra $400 on a $500 card because of some sob story. They paid $900 for that card, because they thought it was a $900 card.

:confused:

Sounds like a story where a seller simply said they needed $900 out of a card (what they paid for it is irrelevant), all the reasons given after that were embellished (and also irrelevant), and now somebody is looking to now get their money back out of this "card", and is looking at the original seller as the easy way out.

To some people I imagine the phrase "give me my money back or I'll out you on Net54" comes easier to some then it does to others.

Sometimes you need to own up to your mistakes.

We've all bought things we're remorseful about throughout the years.

3-2-count 12-23-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1732149)
Example

Card for sale. Asking $1000, buyer offers $500.

Seller says he has $900 in the card so to feed his family he HAS to get $900 only because he paid $900 for it, perhaps on his credit card and needs to pay the credit card back and the $900 is needed avoid foreclosure as well.

Buyer would never pay $900, but based on these representations, he relies on the Seller and pays $900.

One week later, seller says on public forum that he only paid $400 for the card and shouts his happiness that he made $500 on the card (lets assume what he says is true on this)

Do we feel the buyer should be able to the deal canceled and get his money back because the seller admittedly lied about the purchase price and reason for selling and buyer otherwise would not have paid?

Its not an issue of an altered card, or fraud card etc.

What you guys think....i not looking for legal opinions, just looking what you guys think

Nice card. GLWS!

D. Bergin 12-23-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1732194)
nice card. Glws!

lol! :d

1952boyntoncollector 12-23-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Nice card. GLWS!

Oh i am sooo offended you wrote that. I think i got to go out of my way now to criticize how terrible it is to say nice card. Man thats so offensive and mean to say that. Next you will see GLWS and not put in 'nice card' that would be much worse!

1952boyntoncollector 12-23-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1732169)
Nobody pays an extra $400 on a $500 card because of some sob story. They paid $900 for that card, because they thought it was a $900 card.

:confused:

Sounds like a story where a seller simply said they needed $900 out of a card (what they paid for it is irrelevant), all the reasons given after that were embellished (and also irrelevant), and now somebody is looking to now get their money back out of this "card", and is looking at the original seller as the easy way out.

To some people I imagine the phrase "give me my money back or I'll out you on Net54" comes easier to some then it does to others.

Sometimes you need to own up to your mistakes.

We've all bought things we're remorseful about throughout the years.

Ok so nobody pays $400 more, but the amount wasnt' the issue to me. What if its 100 dollars more. The rest of what you put doesnt really seem to apply to the amount extra being paid not being believable. It my fact pattern it was paid though whether believable or not in the real world.

frankbmd 12-23-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1732205)
..................... It my fact pattern it was paid though whether believable or not in the real world.

I agree with whatever you are saying here. I just don't understand it.

steve B 12-23-2017 03:24 PM

Pretty sneaky on the sellers part.

But, bust a deal face the wheel.........

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19165

bauce 12-23-2017 03:50 PM

This is not new. You'll see this stunt being pulled on the "shiny sites".

I need money/gonna have operation:

- these semi-stars and commons are up for sale.
- these once-were-a-superstar-but-now-injured-and-hasn't-played-for-a-year cards are up for sale.

And my favorite:

- I will trade 1000 one-dollar cards for one $1000 card.

Snapolit1 12-23-2017 04:02 PM

Deal stands.
If you really paid more than you wanted because you were moved by a bs story, you are a good person and he is a louse. Lesson learned. There are creeps out there who will lie about family members being sick to make a few bucks. Sad but true. Karma is a bitch. Their day will come.

pokerplyr80 12-23-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1732267)
Deal stands.
If you really paid more than you wanted because you were moved by a bs story, you are a good person and he is a louse. Lesson learned. There are creeps out there who will lie about family members being sick to make a few bucks. Sad but true. Karma is a bitch. Their day will come.

This about sums it up. I'd place some of the blame on the buyer for over paying because of a sob story. And for a seller to lie about something like that, then brag about the sale on a forum, seems pretty ridiculous.

clydepepper 12-24-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1732352)
This about sums it up. I'd place some of the blame on the buyer for over paying because of a sob story. And for a seller to lie about something like that, then brag about the sale on a forum, seems pretty ridiculous.

Isn't ironic that this story is posted just when a musical about P.T. Barnum is coming out?.

clydepepper 12-24-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1732256)
Pretty sneaky on the sellers part.

But, bust a deal face the wheel.........

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19165

Thanks Steve - That was Great!

LMHAO!

Econteachert205 12-24-2017 06:45 AM

Deal stands but out the seller and expose his behavior.

1952boyntoncollector 12-24-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1732352)

Well the part about bragging was to point out that what the seller did happened. If i dont put that in i would get 'how do we know what the seller really paid' That was really the only reason i put that and i agree it would be ridiculous for a seller to say that on a forum..

1952boyntoncollector 12-24-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauce (Post 1732263)
This is not new. You'll see this stunt being pulled on the "shiny sites".

I need money/gonna have operation:

- these semi-stars and commons are up for sale.
- these once-were-a-superstar-but-now-injured-and-hasn't-played-for-a-year cards are up for sale.

And my favorite:

- I will trade 1000 one-dollar cards for one $1000 card.

I still waiting for someone with a mid grade RC Mantle or Green cobb willing to trade that one card for 20 cards that 'add up' to the same 'value' wise

RedsFan1941 12-24-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Nice card. GLWS!

Awesome.

Republicaninmass 12-24-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1732382)
I still waiting for someone with a mid grade RC Mantle or Green cobb willing to trade that one card for 20 cards that 'add up' to the same 'value' wise

Then find someone who can't find a buyer with a a large sum of money, but does have many buyers with small sums of money.

Mind blown

Paul S 12-24-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1732212)
I agree with whatever you are saying here. I just don't understand it.

Needs "interrobang" [?!] punctuation.

JollyElm 12-27-2017 10:26 PM

Not to derail the thread, but what about when the reverse happens, when a buyer tries to do it to a seller (or in my case, a trader)?

Recently, I was contacted out of nowhere by someone who wanted one of my more valuable cards for basically nothing in a trade, because (his story went) it was for his sick father-in-law who always wanted the card in his collection, and he wanted to give it to him as a glorious (final?) Christmas present. (The clear indication was that he wasn't long for this world.) The arrogance of it all was what struck me the most. I had never communicated with this person before, had no idea in heck who he even was, and he just assumed I was going to hand over a prized card, because he concluded his message with something to the effect of, "Send me your address so I can get these cards (which were a basically commons from my need list) out to you right away and I'll give you my address so you can send your card quickly, because Christmas is almost here." In his mind it was a foregone conclusion that I had (with apologies to REM) bought the myth and was going to readily make the 'trade.' And it was all in a single e-mail, too. There was no back and forth of, "Hey, you don't know me, but I'm hoping you can you do me a favor?" No discussion. Nothing. So, I was like, "Huh???? No communication whatsoever and his first contact with me is to request that I hand over a very expensive card???? Geez, yeah I'm that stupid. I'll send your card out tomorrow, buddy." I didn't bother responding to him and I haven't heard a word from him since. And, yes, it was obvious he was a BS'er. This wasn't me being mean to an unknown dying man.

And, I'm sad to say, this isn't the first time this type of ploy was attempted on me and other people. Pathetic.

ibuysportsephemera 12-28-2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1733315)
Not to derail the thread, but what about when the reverse happens, when a buyer tries to do it to a seller (or in my case, a trader)?

Recently, I was contacted out of nowhere by someone who wanted one of my more valuable cards for basically nothing in a trade, because (his story went) it was for his sick father-in-law who always wanted the card in his collection, and he wanted to give it to him as a glorious (final?) Christmas present. (The clear indication was that he wasn't long for this world.) The arrogance of it all was what struck me the most. I had never communicated with this person before, had no idea in heck who he even was, and he just assumed I was going to hand over a prized card, because he concluded his message with something to the effect of, "Send me your address so I can get these cards (which were a basically commons from my need list) out to you right away and I'll give you my address so you can send your card quickly, because Christmas is almost here." In his mind it was a foregone conclusion that I had (with apologies to REM) bought the myth and was going to readily make the 'trade.' And it was all in a single e-mail, too. There was no back and forth of, "Hey, you don't know me, but I'm hoping you can you do me a favor?" No discussion. Nothing. So, I was like, "Huh???? No communication whatsoever and his first contact with me is to request that I hand over a very expensive card???? Geez, yeah I'm that stupid. I'll send your card out tomorrow, buddy." I didn't bother responding to him and I haven't heard a word from him since. And, yes, it was obvious he was a BS'er. This wasn't me being mean to an unknown dying man.

And, I'm sad to say, this isn't the first time this type of ploy was attempted on me and other people. Pathetic.

I had a sort of similar thing happen on eBay many years ago. I was selling some very old New York Giant football programs. A user contacted me and said that he was a "man of the cloth" and that a relative played in the programs. He thought he was entitled to a very steep discount because of those things and I should sell him the programs directly. I don't think I even responded. The "cajones" of some people is amazing.

Jeff

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-28-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1732370)
Isn't ironic that this story is posted just when a musical about P.T. Barnum is coming out?.

Nope, but it is a coincidence. :)

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-28-2017 07:30 AM

Unless I know the "Storyteller" personally, stories have no impact on my buying or selling decisions.

1952boyntoncollector 12-28-2017 07:54 AM

I also find it interesting that someone 'has' to sell something because they need to buy medication or pay whatever emergency, yet the asking price is more than recent market price. Then its listed for months and months. I guess the medication or emergency isnt too urgent...

Leon 12-28-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1733349)
Unless I know the "Storyteller" personally, stories have no impact on my buying or selling decisions.

I agree and I think we see less of the "GLWS" going forward. Anyone quoting prices in other members BST threads will be dealt with quickly and swiftly. It is the sellers choice to leave pricing or not and other members shouldn't circumvent/deny that choice by quoting a price.

bobbyw8469 12-28-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1732267)
Deal stands.

just like there are people who will lie about their situation to get a card on the cheap. Awhile back I used to hear "I am a homeless vet on a fixed income. I will offer you ---- on the card."...and of course the amount offered was considerably less than what the card was worth. Granted, I haven't heard that statement much in a while, and I never fell for it back then.

1952boyntoncollector 12-29-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1733390)
just like there are people who will lie about their situation to get a card on the cheap. Awhile back I used to hear "I am a homeless vet on a fixed income. I will offer you ---- on the card."...and of course the amount offered was considerably less than what the card was worth. Granted, I haven't heard that statement much in a while, and I never fell for it back then.

Right but its still worse when a seller says they HAVE to sell something due to many emergency things, yet instead of making a deal at market price (ie. if cant get the price they want they continue to lower or send to no reserve auction) they do the ole 'i'd rather keep it then take that price' .

Sounds like not that big of an emergency

fearless OT prediction. Saints will win Superbowl.

bbcard1 12-30-2017 08:59 AM

I hate that we are at a point in our society where lying is considered negotiation. It's not new...it's been going on for some time, but seems to be becoming more common.

Republicaninmass 12-30-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1733364)
I agree and I think we see less of the "GLWS" going forward. Anyone quoting prices in other members BST threads will be dealt with quickly and swiftly. It is the sellers choice to leave pricing or not and other members shouldn't circumvent/deny that choice by quoting a price.

I'm Glad there is a decision, and not sure why it was ever up for debate.

steve B 01-02-2018 09:34 AM

The best "story" I got on Ebay back years ago turned out to be true.

Sold a few cards to the same guy for a couple dollars each. (Yeah, long enough ago that was a thing, covered fees by having a bit added on the shipping. )
A week goes by, no contact, nothing.
Send a gentle reminder to pay. People forget stuff, only about a 20$ sale total.
Get an email.......This is X girlfriend. He joined Ebay last week, on Friday, got drunk Friday night and bid on a LOT of stuff. And won most of it, he actually makes less in a couple months than he won and is freaking out a bit. Please have patience, we're going to try to get everything paid, but it'll take a while.
Oh, that's odd...So I check his items bid on list....

Well over 2000 items bid on almost all under $5. The total he owed was probably over $5000 :eek:
So I told them to just pay whenever they could, figuring I'd never see anything.
Got a check about 2 weeks later:D

I may have been his only positive feedback.