Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SGC vs PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149975)

Touch'EmAll 04-13-2012 07:28 PM

SGC vs PSA

Poor SGC.

A 1969 Aaron PSA 9 closed on ebay for 896.00

A couple months ago I picked up the same 1969 Aaron SGC 96 for substantially less. And my SGC has better centering. Also has razor corners/edges.

Guess the 'ol PSA set registry commands huge premiums when in PSA slab. So goes the market of supply and demand. Seen this scenario time and agian.

Gee, and the SGC slabs look soooooo much better.

bosoxfan 04-13-2012 08:18 PM

Better card in a nicer holder for substantially less? Sounds like you got a great deal.

I feel sorry for the "poor PSA" registry addict.

bobbyw8469 04-14-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

I feel sorry for the "poor PSA" registry addict.
I feel sorry for the SGC card when it comes time to sell it. The value "hold" on the card might disappoint you.

bosoxfan 04-14-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 983834)
I feel sorry for the SGC card when it comes time to sell it. The value "hold" on the card might disappoint you.

Are you suggesting that it's better to buy an inferior card at a higher price because of the holder it sits in?

It is true at this time, especially when dealing with post war cards, PSA sells at a higher price. Who knows what the situation will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Besides, I think you can actually remove the card from the case if you chose to. For me I'd take the better card at a lesser price.

If anyone wants to pay more money because it rests in a PSA holder then were going to have to agree to disagree.

jefferyepayne 04-14-2012 08:23 AM

Agree completely! I'll take a nicer card at a lower price any day. I also agree that for most sets, SGC looks better anyway.

jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosoxfan (Post 983853)
Are you suggesting that it's better to buy an inferior card at a higher price because of the holder it sits in?

It is true at this time, especially when dealing with post war cards, PSA sells at a higher price. Who knows what the situation will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Besides, I think you can actually remove the card from the case if you chose to. For me I'd take the better card at a lesser price.

If anyone wants to pay more money because it rests in a PSA holder then were going to have to agree to disagree.

bobbyw8469 04-14-2012 08:26 AM

I understand the point of buying a similar graded card for lesser money. I totally get that. You can't ignore the effects of supply and demand however. If a PSA Aaron 9 sells for $900, and you bought the SGC equivalent for $600, then yes, you got a super deal. When it comes time to sell the SGC Aaron 9 though, and it only brings $400, then that is what I am speaking of. The SGC cards IMHO are like catching a falling knife. Simple supply and demand economics here.

travrosty 04-14-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 983857)
I understand the point of buying a similar graded card for lesser money. I totally get that. You can't ignore the effects of supply and demand however. If a PSA Aaron 9 sells for $900, and you bought the SGC equivalent for $600, then yes, you got a super deal. When it comes time to sell the SGC Aaron 9 though, and it only brings $400, then that is what I am speaking of. The SGC cards IMHO are like catching a falling knife. Simple supply and demand economics here.

you got to buy the card and not the holder. why would it go less in a sgc holder if the person buying knows the likely crossover grade and could submit it to psa at any time after they buy it? It's not locked into that holder.

people will get a steal from time to time in any holder, but once enough people know of the loophole, the steal is gone.

sycks22 04-14-2012 09:36 AM

In a lot of post war stuff SGC's don't bring what PSA's do as mentioned above. For instance I picked up a '53 Topps Joe Astroth (common) SGC 96 (9) for $360 and got it switched to PSA for $20 and it brought over a grand. It is crazy what people will pay for a bump on their registry.

Exhibitman 04-14-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 983873)
It is crazy what people will pay for a bump on their registry.

Stems from the same insecurity that leads a balding, paunchy man in his late 40s to buy an expensive sportscar.

I have crossed several high grade SGC cards to PSA and sold them off to registry geeks. I'll take the lower prices for superior cards every time.

theseeker 04-14-2012 04:32 PM

Where is the problem? When buying....go with SGC. Far nicer holder, far better price. When selling....carefully hammer away at holder and then submit card to the smug jerks at PSA.
Pains me to say that. Other than that stupid registery, SGC is superior in every way. Am I the only one that finds the snobbish elements in this whole registry thing absurb. I mean snob appeal for a sportscard hobby?

betafolio2 04-15-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theseeker (Post 983990)
Am I the only one that finds the snobbish elements in this whole registry thing absurd. I mean snob appeal for a sportscard hobby?

Not at all! I also think it's ridiculous. But sadly, for many collectors it's ONLY about the PSA grade. No longer does a card's eye appeal matter. But as someone who's been collecting cards long before professional grading came along, I will always prefer an ungraded card.

And besides, I've seen so much variation in PSA grades that I think the number assigned to a card is completely meaningless. I completely subscribe to the adage "Buy the card, not the holder." I gladly break all of my slabbed cards out of the holders anyway. And I can happily report that they fit much better into my set binders after they've been "emancipated." :)