Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Big thanks to the board (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230968)

ksabet 11-09-2016 06:55 AM

Big thanks to the board

For resisting the temptation to go political. It was refreshing to go somewhere for leisure and seeing the restraint from this board as to not interject their politics.

I think a big part of me was expecting to see a political war on here the last month but people stuck to cards (and bashing auction houses).

Thanks Leon for diligently keeping this about cards, during all the craziness.

Leon 11-09-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksabet (Post 1600746)
For resisting the temptation to go political. It was refreshing to go somewhere for leisure and seeing the restraint from this board as to not interject their politics.

I think a big part of me was expecting to see a political war on here the last month but people stuck to cards (and bashing auction houses).

Thanks Leon for diligently keeping this about cards, during all the craziness.

Politics have crossed most of our minds but we should keep it to other places and not in our hobby, for the most part. All of America needs to come together.....

autograf 11-09-2016 07:03 AM

Time and place......

Snapolit1 11-09-2016 07:22 AM

I second it. This is about the only place I know of in the last month where I could get away from it for a few minutes.

tennisguy 11-09-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1600747)
Politics have crossed most of our minds but we should keep it to other places and not in our hobby, for the most part. All of America needs to come together.....

Well said Leon. Totally agree.

ksabet 11-09-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1600747)

++1

clydepepper 11-09-2016 10:07 AM

I agree! Thanks Guys!

...and a special thanks to Leon for keeping it so.

:)

jbsports33 11-10-2016 10:36 AM

the site was a great place to for the last few weeks!

Good luck collecting everyone this winter

Jimmy

4815162342 11-10-2016 12:37 PM

I too am glad that the board discussions stay out of politics. There's nothing more disappointing than to realize a fellow board member is on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum from you. My best friend in the world is, and so we made a pact years ago to simply not bring up the subject, ever.

On another note, on Tuesday night the Weather Channel had these serene scenes accompanied by calm and relaxing music to try to calm down the election viewer. It was hilarious. And it really worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark evans 11-10-2016 01:09 PM

I agree.

I've often wondered about what it is with politics that causes people to be so passionate. Maybe, it's because we respond to such issues (and candidates) in a visceral, rather than intellectual, way.

So, for example, you could have a serious debate over whether there exists life elsewhere in the universe, but, because we respond to such issues intellectually, it's hard to imagine a disagreement leading to anger. Which reminds me, if anyone out there is interested in cosmology or related subjects (time, space, consciousness), there's a wealth of information available on YouTube, the lazy man's way to learn.

tschock 11-10-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark evans (Post 1601108)
I agree.

I've often wondered about what it is with politics that causes people to be so passionate. Maybe, it's because we respond to such issues (and candidates) in a visceral, rather than intellectual, way.

So, for example, you could have a serious debate over whether there exists life elsewhere in the universe, but, because we respond to such issues intellectually, it's hard to imagine a disagreement leading to anger. Which reminds me, if anyone out there is interested in cosmology or related subjects (time, space, consciousness), there's a wealth of information available on YouTube, the lazy man's way to learn.

I've always postulated that if we were the most intelligent life in the universe, then I feel bad for the universe.

ramram 11-10-2016 03:20 PM

Huh? Did I miss something?

Louieman 11-10-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark evans (Post 1601108)
I agree.

If you're willing to go further down the rabbit hole, or planning on seeing the upcoming SciFi movie Arrival, which I believe comes out today, I highly, highly recommend the SciFi novella that the movie is a loose adaptation of. Story of Your Life, by Ted Chiang. A lot about time, free will, alien life, language...and comparable to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five

mark evans 11-10-2016 03:32 PM

Thanks Louie.

You may wish to check out Closer to Truth series by Robert Lawrence Kuhn on YouTube.

itjclarke 11-10-2016 04:44 PM

I appreciate the OP's sentiments and was glad to see the board remain a little escape for me as well. That said, I gotta think in these times even the mention of this appreciation is like tossing a little smoldering match into a large pool of gasoline. Hoping it doesn't ignite here.

As an aside, I want to see that movie too. Love SciFi... Especially thoughtful, though provoking SciFi. Knew nothing about this story previously, but the commercial was enough to hook me.

ValKehl 11-12-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1601103)
... There's nothing more disappointing than to realize a fellow board member is on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum from you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryl, even more disappointing to me is when close family relatives (e.g., adult children) are on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum! :(