Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Batten Down the Hatches (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158229)

wazoo 10-27-2012 11:55 AM

O/T Batten Down the Hatches

I want to see how Hurricane Sandy has affected everyone and make sure everyone is alright. Up east is expecting to get it badly, so I hope everyone can ride out the storm. Maybe we will all get a day off work/school from it? Best regards.

ullmandds 10-27-2012 12:02 PM

Maybe a boatload of t206's will get destroyed...thereby making them a little scarcer and more desirable!

barrysloate 10-27-2012 12:04 PM

We've heard warnings like this before, which ultimately didn't pan out, but somehow I suspect this one may be the real thing. Somebody is likely to get hit really hard by it and I'm afraid we may have a national emergency in New Jersey, or somewhere nearby. Let's hope everybody is safe and does not take this storm too lightly. Here in Brooklyn our electrical wires are underground so a power outage is far less likely. Some parts of the country will surely be without electricity for many days.

wazoo 10-27-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1047841)
Maybe a boatload of t206's will get destroyed...thereby making them a little scarcer and more desirable!

Peter, I expected a comment like this hahah.

Barry, I hope all is well, and I feel the same way. I hope it doesn't do that much damage, though, but I will take a day off from school when I can get one.

barrysloate 10-27-2012 12:15 PM

It's going to cause incredible flooding in the areas most prone to it...I feel very bad for the people who will be affected.

wazoo 10-27-2012 12:19 PM

Same. It's a shame to see regular people having to endure such traumatic events.

sycks22 10-27-2012 12:21 PM

It's raining off and on here in NC. It's supposed to hit the coast today I heard. I hope everyone in the northeast stays safe.

ullmandds 10-27-2012 12:23 PM

On a more serious note...my whole family and many friends live on the east coast...my parents are planning to tie down their patio furniture...and are going to fill the bathtub with water so they can use the water to flush the toilets if need be.

It sounds like it may live up to it's billing...and I hope all will be safe!

wazoo 10-27-2012 12:26 PM

It seems like its always one natural disaster to another.

drc 10-27-2012 12:30 PM

Perhaps completely unrelated, but it's been raining hard all day in Seattle. Had to put galoshes on the dog.

sportscardpete 10-27-2012 12:40 PM

NY should be pretty roughed up - especially anything by the water. Barry - where in Brooklyn are you? I heard that southern brooklyn/queens might be in trouble with the storm surge.. We shall see. Last one to hit (irene) was overrated. Lets hope this was is overrated as well.

I'm on the Northern Queens side, and all we have is big trees. They usually get knocked around, but that's about it.

sayhey24 10-27-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 1047857)
NY should be pretty roughed up - especially anything by the water. Barry - where in Brooklyn are you? I heard that southern brooklyn/queens might be in trouble with the storm surge.. We shall see. Last one to hit (irene) was overrated. Lets hope this was is overrated as well.

I'm on the Northern Queens side, and all we have is big trees. They usually get knocked around, but that's about it.

Believe it or not, there is a whole world outside of NYC. The people of the Schoharie Valley and Mohawk Valley of New York were devastated by Irene; some small towns were virtually destroyed. The damage was also massive in Vermont. Ask those people if Irene was overrated.

Greg

ibuysportsephemera 10-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 1047857)

Pete,

Sorry to disagree, but Irene was not overrated at all. She caused billions of $$ in damage. In Orange County and further North we experienced devastating floods that people are still recovering from. My firehouse flooded and I was one of the main people responsible to work with the insurance company and contractors on the rebuild. 13 months later and here we go again. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Jeff

DHogan 10-27-2012 01:26 PM

I went thru a hurricane on an aircraft carrier in the Atlanctic in 1981. It wasn't fun. :o

barrysloate 10-27-2012 01:30 PM

Pete- I'm in Cobble Hill. We are actually only a few blocks from the water....we walk just down Atlantic Avenue to pick up the ferry to get to Governor's Island. I don't think we will be the worst hit, but I suspect the streets will be flooded and branches will be strewn everywhere. And that's the best case scenario.

sayhey24 10-27-2012 01:33 PM

Here's wishing you well Barry --

Greg

barrysloate 10-27-2012 01:34 PM

Thanks Greg. I know there will be people who are living in low lying areas who will have it a whole lot worse than us. Let's all say a prayer tonight.

wazoo 10-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1047876)
Thanks Greg. I know there will be people who are living in low lying areas who will have it a whole lot worse than us. Let's all say a prayer tonight.

Couldn't agree more.

yanks12025 10-27-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1047860)
Believe it or not, there is a whole world outside of NYC. The people of the Schoharie Valley and Mohawk Valley of New York were devastated by Irene; some small towns were virtually destroyed. The damage was also massive in Vermont. Ask those people if Irene was overrated.

Greg

I only live 20 minutes from Schoharie Valley and Mohawk Valley. They both got destroyed during Irene. Funny when people say NY will get hit hard, yet they are only thinking of New York City and don't think about there's a whole other part of NY..lol

sportscardpete 10-27-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1047860)

Greg

You're right; I mispoke. Irene was overrated in the 5 boroughs of NY. I understand areas South and North were hit quite hard. Ocean City had it really bad too. I was just refering to the fact that everyone was expecting the worst in my neck of the woods (not really woods more like subways and sidewalks!!) and it turned out to not be as bad.

This storm looks like it might be worse than Irene.

sportscardpete 10-27-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1047872)
Pete- I'm in Cobble Hill. We are actually only a few blocks from the water....we walk just down Atlantic Avenue to pick up the ferry to get to Governor's Island. I don't think we will be the worst hit, but I suspect the streets will be flooded and branches will be strewn everywhere. And that's the best case scenario.

Barry - good luck. Hopefully this storm isn't as bad as expected.

mrvster 10-27-2012 02:10 PM

o crap....

i live in the direct hit on the nj shore.......:eek:

wazoo 10-27-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 1047895)
i live in the direct hit on the nj shore.......:eek:

You and Snooki Better take cover!

mrvster 10-27-2012 02:37 PM

lol

that was funny waz!:D

Buythatcard 10-27-2012 02:39 PM

I live in NJ and lost power for 5 days during Irene. Lost a tree and had some roof damage. Hit my eBay business hard because could not log on during that time. Have a feeling that this storm might be worse. Bracing for another outage. Got all my cards to higher ground. Just hope my customers understand that there might be shipping delays during and after the storm.

More important than a few pieces of cardboard with ballplayer pictures on it is the safety of all of those affected by the storm.

Stay safe to all!

Eric72 10-27-2012 03:43 PM

I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia, which puts me pretty much right in the path of this storm.

Thankfully, I live near the top of a hill and quite a distance from any rivers, lakes, etc., so flooding has never been a problem.

On the flip side, the area in which I live is fairly heavily wooded, so I find myself saying a little prayer any time the wind gets to be 40+ mph. It seems like a tree comes down nearby every time there is a nasty storm. Irene took down a huge oak within a five minute walk from my house. Luckily, the only damage it did was to break up the road a bit and pulverize some landscaping.

Best of luck to all, and be safe. May you and yours make it through this unscathed.

murcerfan 10-27-2012 03:53 PM

I love the "we've heard this before and it didn't pan out" thinking.

Man has conquered nature! priceless!

goodtricks 10-27-2012 04:31 PM

I'd keep playing

Pup6913 10-27-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1047843)
I'm afraid we may have a national emergency in New Jersey

I always though Jersey was a national emergency:eek:

I hope everyone out there is safe and sound through this. I have family from SC up to NY on the coast so I hope the impact is minuscule. Be safe and remember to burn your PSA graded cards and 206's first if needed:D

Deertick 10-27-2012 05:42 PM

Sissies. ;)

The funny thing about the old "Much ado about nothing" take: I spent three days preparing for a storm in 2004 that luckily (for me) took a turn at the last minute and hit 200 miles south and tracked to within 45 miles of me. It never even got breezy! I never once second guessed my preparations, and I'm sure the people in 20% of the state that was without power or water for a week (or more) wish they had done even more than they had. If you have never experienced the aftermath of a hurricane, I truly hope you never do. Godspeed to those in it's path.

judsonhamlin 10-27-2012 06:12 PM

We're on relatively high ground here in Central Jersey, but think we will get hit pretty hard. I've got 10000 1987 topps and 1991 fleers to soak up any water we get.
Best of luck to all the net54 crowd down the shore or in floodplains

CobbSpikedMe 10-27-2012 06:23 PM

Central Jersey here too. Luckily not in a flood zone but we've been preparing for a big storm. Two towns out this way that flood all the time are Manville and Bound Brook. With SGC moving to Bound Brook I hope none of your cards are there yet as they may be swimming next week if they are.

Best of luck to all who get hit.

AndyH

Paul S 10-27-2012 09:14 PM

I lived in NYC for 17 years. Best place to be in this sort of condition. Now I'm out in Suffolk County on Long Island. Really, as previously stated, flooding and wind is key, no matter where in the Tri-State area. If my cable goes out I'll have to listen to the World Series! What a drag.

jcmtiger 10-27-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1047843)
We've heard warnings like this before, which ultimately didn't pan out, but somehow I suspect this one may be the real thing. Somebody is likely to get hit really hard by it and I'm afraid we may have a national emergency in New Jersey, or somewhere nearby. Let's hope everybody is safe and does not take this storm too lightly. Here in Brooklyn our electrical wires are underground so a power outage is far less likely. Some parts of the country will surely be without electricity for many days.

Barry, our lines are underground also here in Michigan, but we lose power 4-5 times a year. The above ground wires are feeding your underground wires.

Joe:eek:

atx840 10-27-2012 09:43 PM

Scary stuff, be safe guys.

jcmtiger 10-27-2012 09:45 PM

On another note, I was on the expressway today in Michigan and noticed about 12 or more trucks heading south, the ones with buckets on them. There was a small pickup truck with lights flashing leading them. I think they are heading out East to help with any problems. Good Luck out there.

Joe

Eric72 10-27-2012 09:49 PM

Paul,

Living in the NYC area for as long as you did and having the chance to listen to the game on the radio should be regarded as a unique opportunity to experience the WS, old school style. I envy your position, as it pertains to this tiny sliver of what is going on across a larger region. My very best wishes to you and yours during Hurricane Sandy.

Best Regards,

Eric

teetwoohsix 10-27-2012 10:39 PM

I hope all of you/family/friends on the east coast stay safe and make it through this. I am thankful we don't have these in Las Vegas- been through quite a few earthquakes growing up in California all of my life- but these things freak me out. Again, please get to high and safe ground.

Sincerely, Clayton

Paul S 10-27-2012 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1048029)
Paul,

Living in the NYC area for as long as you did and having the chance to listen to the game on the radio should be regarded as a unique opportunity to experience the WS, old school style. I envy your position, as it pertains to this tiny sliver of what is going on across a larger region. My very best wishes to you and yours during Hurricane Sandy.

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the kind remarks, if the Series actually goes until Monday.

In Manhattan, the morning after a blizzard, I had to take the B train uptown to 57th St. to open up my store. I get out of the subway and what do I see? -- people skiing down the middle of the street! No lie. So, this coming Monday-Tuesday when the wind and rain are blowing horizontal I might be out in my trusty Accord (Tan Betsy) searching for something or other.

In the meantime, here's an Ashburn for you:

lancemountain 10-28-2012 01:17 AM

Home and family here in Philly is fine but my beach house at the shore.....if the swells stay less than 8 feet I'm fine. Anything more than that the bay side will crest and I'm *ucked...ten feet and I'll have a long winter :mad: Nothing I can do at this point but wait and see

Bocabirdman 10-28-2012 03:59 AM

My folks live in Medford Lakes. They are stubborn Seventy-somethings. I can only pray from here in South Florida. Sandy just brushed by us this past Thursday/Friday. We got lucky...this time.

When I lived in Massachusetts, Nor'easters were a bitch but the state's emergency plans and snow removal budget got us back up and running in no time. I moved back to Baltimore in the late Eighties and it was a different ball game. The snow removal budget would get used up after the first two "dustings" When we would get a good snowfall after that we'd be snarled for a week. I mention this because now I live in Boca Raton FL and though we have been lucky the last seven years, the powers that be have a well-oiled plan for hurricane recovery. I fear that the mid-Atlantic states will wake up after this storm and be in deep-shit.
Seriously, my prayers go out to all in the region. Be SAFE!

To all in harm's way, get some cash. Power outages would make credit cards useless. Top off your gas tanks. Gas Stations won't be able to pump gas without a generator. If you take medicines, go to the pharmacy to make sure that you have enough on hand. After the storm, stay home, Do not run out to see the storm aftermath. Standing water and downed powerlines do no mix. Make sure to check on your elderly neighbors.

Lastly, the time frame that is being forecasted is for the arrival of the eyewall. Your weather will go downhill fast, at least 12 hours before then.

barrysloate 10-28-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 1048025)
Barry, our lines are underground also here in Michigan, but we lose power 4-5 times a year. The above ground wires are feeding your underground wires.

Joe:eek:

Joe- losing electricity is what scares me the most. It's almost impossible to do anything without it- no hot water, no refrigerator, no computer....gasp-no TV! I heard on the news that some people who lose it should not expect it back for 7-10 days!

yanks12025 10-28-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1048064)
Joe- losing electricity is what scares me the most. It's almost impossible to do anything without it- no hot water, no refrigerator, no computer....gasp-no TV! I heard on the news that some people who lose it should not expect it back for 7-10 days!

That's why you make sure you have a smart phone. Can live life off that unless the cell towers go down.

Bocabirdman 10-28-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1048070)
That's why you make sure you have a smart phone. Can live life off that unless the cell towers go down.

Cell towers go down easily in this kind of storm............:eek:

mrvster 10-28-2012 05:49 AM

evacuation......

i might have to evacuate......i hope not.....im going to ride out the storm.....i live 2 minutes from manasquan inlet n.j. where the direct hit is predicted.....:eek:.....God i hope all is ok....i will be praying....i am battening down the hatches for sure...:eek:...

well just wanted to say to all....LOVE YOU ALL:)

Peace

Johnny V

wolf441 10-28-2012 07:44 AM

Good luck to everyone in the path of the storm. We're getting ready to ride it out in Massachusetts. All prep done, fireplace is roaring (chilly morning) and we have about have about 1/2 a cord of wood ready in the basement.

kkkkandp 10-28-2012 07:47 AM

Batten Down Indeed!

Governor Christie declared that all barrier islands in New Jersey as well as Atlantic City are supposed to be evacuated by 4:00 PM today. My wife and I went down Friday night to close up our shore house (Long Beach Island) for the season and prep for Sandy. I don't think we are going to be anywhere near as lucky with Sandy as we were with Irene. We put all of the furniture on the first floor up on tables and benches in case the water gets into the house, but if the water level is on the high side of the 4 - 8 feet storm surge they are predicting, it won't matter. It'll all be trash anyway. Last model I saw had landfall on Monday almost directly over us. It is making me sick to my stomach all of the money we've invested in upgrading the house is now going to be like throwing it out the window. We were actually quite surprised at how little people were preparing for this storm. Only one place we saw was doing any boarding of windows, although the folks at one of the candy shops said they put a bunch of their candy on the second floor. For everyone else it was as if it was any other October weekend! Weird. I guess they weren't listening to the news!

And because this storm is cutting such a wide swath, we have identical issues with our house up north. I'm too old to deal with all this shit! : (

barrysloate 10-28-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkandp (Post 1048096)
Governor Christie declared that all barrier islands in New Jersey as well as Atlantic City are supposed to be evacuated by 4:00 PM today. My wife and I went down Friday night to close up our shore house (Long Beach Island) for the season and prep for Sandy. I don't think we are going to be anywhere near as lucky with Sandy as we were with Irene. We put all of the furniture on the first floor up on tables and benches in case the water gets into the house, but if the water level is on the high side of the 4 - 8 feet storm surge they are predicting, it won't matter. It'll all be trash anyway. Last model I saw had landfall on Monday almost directly over us. It is making me sick to my stomach all of the money we've invested in upgrading the house is now going to be like throwing it out the window. We were actually quite surprised at how little people were preparing for this storm. Only one place we saw was doing any boarding of windows, although the folks at one of the candy shops said they put a bunch of their candy on the second floor. For everyone else it was as if it was any other October weekend! Weird. I guess they weren't listening to the news!

And because this storm is cutting such a wide swath, we have identical issues with our house up north. I'm too old to deal with all this shit! : (

Sorry Kevin that you have to go through all this. I have a house on Long Island and feel the same way- who needs this aggravation. Good luck with the storm.

bbcarddan 10-28-2012 08:24 AM

I`m in Mass and have moved my classic car to a safer location "I HOPE"! Plus making all the other preparations.

However this one thing could be "THE" most important safety precaution! Use a sniping service so you don`t lose an auction when the power goes out! :D

kkkkandp 10-28-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

However this one thing could be "THE" most important safety precaution! Use a sniping service so you don`t lose an auction when the power goes out! :D
Classic car; classic quote! :)