Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's the most wonderful time of the year. Cobb/Edwards auction time! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175541)

iggyman 09-09-2013 11:16 AM

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Cobb/Edwards auction time!

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby

Skies are blue
And the dream that you dare to dream
Really does come true

One day I wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Way upon the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Way upon the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/09...ards-1909.html

Lovely Day...

jhs5120 09-09-2013 11:20 AM

The starting bid is $300,000!!!!

:eek:

g_vezina_c55 09-09-2013 11:30 AM

lol

Leon 09-09-2013 11:33 AM

If they would start it at something reasonable, like $20, and I could win it for $25....I would bid just to say I owned it. I think it's a racist thing. :). If the owners were Caucasian the card would be real. :eek:

Cardboard Junkie 09-09-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1182412)
If they would start it at something reasonable, like $20, and I could win it for $25....I would bid just to say I owned it. I think it's a racist thing. :). If the owners were Caucasian the card would be real. :eek:

Oh MY! :eek: By the same token if the Wagz were real the owners would be....no I won't say it. :D Dave.

JoeyF1981 09-09-2013 11:55 AM

Lol....wasnt this card already proven to be sandwiched on treasure detectives? Edwards even started crying because he realized his card was not genuine and now he's going to play it off like that never happened?? Wow what a idiot!

vintagetoppsguy 09-09-2013 12:04 PM

I thought they had the Wagner "graded" by some fly-by-night TPG company. The one in the auction is raw.

4815162342 09-09-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1182424)
I thought they had the Wagner "graded" by some fly-by-night TPG company. The one in the auction is raw.

On Treasure Detectives, they cracked the slab before scanning it with an MRI.

MVSNYC 09-09-2013 12:31 PM

Once and for all...this is a reprint. the type face on the caption is totally wrong (for starters). Period.

ullmandds 09-09-2013 12:32 PM

Mike...nice work...that should put an end to this once and for all!:D

Cardboard Junkie 09-09-2013 12:32 PM

I think the back is authentic!

cardsfan73 09-09-2013 12:43 PM

"In 2013 the card was subject to an image scan at 1200 dpi to examine the sides of the card. Through this scan, completed with state-of-the art scanning equipment at Robin Imaging Services in Cincinnati, OH, it was determined that the card has not been sandwiched"

haha!

wonkaticket 09-09-2013 12:51 PM

Just another pair of idiots with “get rich quick schemes” what’s new…

Howe’s Hunter 09-09-2013 01:00 PM

Something else to be proud about of the town where you live

The auction is based in Omaha. Ugh.

Leon 09-09-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1182437)
I think the back is authentic!

It is. That is a BIG part of the problem.

Kawika 09-09-2013 01:04 PM

Was half-hoping it would be in the B-L auction.
Yeah, I know I've got a strange sense of humor.

sbfinley 09-09-2013 01:05 PM

It won't sell, just as it will never sell. Same rodeo-different year.

barrysloate 09-09-2013 01:13 PM

I'm sure they already know it won't sell. I think they like the publicity.

CardTarget 09-09-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1182455)
I'm sure they already know it won't sell. I think they like the publicity.

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/En...a.ls.83013.jpg

nsaddict 09-10-2013 07:16 PM

I'd take Miley for one night over the Cobb/Edwards Wags for life :D

Cardboard Junkie 09-10-2013 07:25 PM

One night,(for her sake) but I wouldn't make her part of my stable.:)

birdman42 09-10-2013 09:19 PM

What's the auction company's responsibility? I know that many auctions have ended up with the buyer's money being refunded after an item was determined to be bad. But what about in a situation like this where it's known beforehand that the card is bogus? Does that make them partners in fraud? I can't imagine that they'd get away with saying they relied on the seller's representation of authenticity.

Bill

CW 09-10-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 (Post 1182421)
Lol....wasnt this card already proven to be sandwiched on treasure detectives? Edwards even started crying because he realized his card was not genuine and now he's going to play it off like that never happened?? Wow what a idiot!

Yes, and oddly enough, their promotional site for the card actually has a page devoted to the card's appearance on the show.

This I do not get.

http://www.honuswagnerauction.com/po...t206-wagner-2/

GoldenAge50s 09-10-2013 09:52 PM

This is the BEST part of the deal!

"Shipping Instructions: The current card owner will hand deliver the card to the successful buyer once the wire has been received. Arrangements will be made following the sale."

This part, not so good:

"All property is sold 'as is, where is' and ALL SALES ARE FINAL"

Denali 09-11-2013 07:03 AM

Someone should bid on the card and when they win, they should pay them with photo copies of cash.

Wite3 09-11-2013 07:47 AM

Here are the auctioneers of the wagner on the proxibid site...

http://www.krauseauctioneering.com/

I urge people to drop them a note...

Exhibitman 09-11-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 1183067)
I'd take Miley for one night over the Cobb/Edwards Wags for life :D

Not even with someone else's junk...There aren't enough antibiotics in the universe.

Wite3 09-11-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman42 (Post 1183155)
What's the auction company's responsibility?
Bill

I will tell you, more than people think...this is a known fake. Period. Selling a known fake, marketing it as real (even the title and description make it seem real) and then putting "as is" and trying to cover yourself with that statement will get you in trouble...just ask Bill Mastro.

Joshua

ullmandds 09-11-2013 07:58 AM

I work with the daughter of one of the owners of this auction company.

She came in to work a few months ago and asked me if I know anything about Honus Wagner. I said that I know a lot about honus wagner!!!! She said her dad's auction co. had acquired a honus wagner baseball card they were going to auction off. I got very excited...and I pulled a pic off my office tack board and said...does it look like this?!?!(I have a pic of Scott B's Wags on my office wall!)

She had no clue. I asked her to have her dad call me. I couldn't wait I was so excited so I called him...left a message.

While at the airport getting ready to leave town he called me...and I asked him about the card. As he told me the story...I knew exactly which wagner he was referring to...and I asked him if the owner's name was Cobb.

He said yes...and I proceeded to tell him everything I knew about it. He was silent. I emailed him links to this board...and to other stories about this card.

I ensured him this card was 100% fake...and that the only reason he should even consider being a part of this would be that he'd incur lots of publicity...albeit potentially negative.

Obviously he did not heed my warnings...so at this point contacting them will most likely be futile.

z28jd 09-11-2013 08:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wite3 (Post 1183239)
Here are the auctioneers of the wagner on the proxibid site...

http://www.krauseauctioneering.com/

I urge people to drop them a note...

But didn't you see their description:

Many have disputed the authenticity of the Honus Wagner card, but nobody can disprove the authenticity with facts.

Who are we to say it's not real? It's not like we have 100,000 or so T206 cards as a collective group that we could compare it to. Or it's not like I have the same exact reprint sitting right in front of me which I've had since 1991 and I could just happen to have scans of like this...

BigJJ 09-11-2013 08:34 AM

What do you think the value of the card is as the infamous 'Cobb-Edwards Wagner'?

(reminds me of The Three Amigos btw, when they say infamous means -very- famous)

The piece has great fame as a 'hobby' piece.

If there were a hobby museum, would it be there?

Value of 2k? if offered at auction accurately?

ullmandds 09-11-2013 08:38 AM

To me...this POS has 0 value?! Just because these idiots have been able to somehow keep themselves and this reprint in the limelight for years...is more a testament to the public's stupidity...than their genius?!

I wouldn't pay $1 for it?!

z28jd 09-11-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJJ (Post 1183264)
What do you think the value of the card is as the infamous 'Cobb-Edwards Wagner'?

(reminds me of The Three Amigos btw, when they say infamous means -very- famous)

The piece has great fame as a 'hobby' piece.

If there were a hobby museum, would it be there?

Value of 2k? if offered at auction accurately?

I'm sure it would actually fetch a great price for a reprint. Not sure anyone would pay $2k for it, but you never know. Some rich person might just to get it away from them and finally put this to rest.

I have posted scans for years of the same exact reprint they are peddling. Not once has anyone ever offered me anything for it and that is with me saying "It is a reprint" over and over. If I'm certain it's a reprint, and someone in this collecting world is certain it isn't, wouldn't you think that person would say, I'll give you $20 for it just to have it, then they could turn around and make up to $1.5mil apparently?

Not sure why people believe that they are being kept down, yet at the same time they say how many people would love to own this card. I don't think that makes much sense. I've done thousands of ebay/Net54/internet transactions and never once have I asked what color the person is I'm buying from or seen a warning that says "Are you sure you want to buy from this person, they aren't white?".

To suggest everyone in the hobby with the means to buy a Honus Wagner card, somehow got together and decided not to buy this particular card, is ridiculous. If they want to stick to that story though, why is it that they also don't want to buy my card either? I'm guessing it is because my one grandmother was part American-Indian...

nsaddict 09-11-2013 08:59 AM

Pete, is this the guy you spoke with?

Proxibid
Dana Kaufman, 402-505-7776
dana.kaufman@proxibid.com

ullmandds 09-11-2013 09:06 AM

No...that appears to be a proxibid rep...not rep from k and k auctions. I spoke to one of the owners of k and k.

nsaddict 09-11-2013 09:25 AM

Not sure if this has been posted before. Funny stuff, Edwards carries on back and forth with doubters and near the bottom Edwards refers to Mastro as the scammer :eek: Also, the grading company that slabbed this card ACA, has changed their take on the card and deemed it fake. Is this a fact? The card is being offered raw in this upcoming auction.

http://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com/...s-t206-wagner/

Wite3 09-12-2013 11:17 PM

sent them a note...they totally ignored the subject and proof...no integrity...no business...will add to my "bitch book" of people who I do not do business with.

"thanks for your note... I am sorry to loose your business. This is a very unusual card and there are a lot of opinions about it. I think that the new owner will clearly understand and know everything about this card while placing his or her bids. Please reconsider doing business again with us down the road. Ron"

Sterling Sports Auctions 09-13-2013 12:38 AM

I think the best thing to happen in the whole situation is for it to tell and then the buyer can either be stuck with with it for his serious lack of knowledge or sue Cobb and any other person involved with the sale and hopefully part of the settlement would be the destruction of the card.

bbcard1 09-13-2013 12:51 PM

I think if it were slabbed Cobb/Edwards Wagner, some idiot...probably me...would be willing to pay $1000 because it is an interesting piece of history and would be a nice stand in for a card I would never be able to afford. I'm guessing a fair auction would settle between $1K and 2K.

uffda51 09-14-2013 11:48 PM

This story always reminds of the time I went to the Antiques Road Show in 1997. Some guy showed up with a copy of the Mona Lisa . . .

wonkaticket 09-14-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1183241)
Not even with someone else's junk...There aren't enough antibiotics in the universe.

I don’t know Adam, these two idiots are about the same as herpes they seem to pop up every few months.

auggiedoggy 09-15-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1183076)
One night,(for her sake) but I wouldn't make her part of my stable.:)

My wife won't let me have a stable. :(

Leon 09-15-2013 08:09 AM

oy vey....

Evidently there is at least one other person that thinks this Frankenstein card is real. I got this message this morning from a guy named Mark..

Leon,
After reading comments made by your board members concerning the newest Honus Wagner Auction I must respectfully decline to join that board.
I want to be part of a board that has a real knowledge about card collecting. A board that uses common sense thinking not some crazy notions that card grading services are the be all to end all.
Leon, card grading services were not around when cards such as a Honus Wagner were printed so they have no clue who printed them and they offer no scientific evidence to disprove the cards validity .
Thanks.

barrysloate 09-15-2013 08:12 AM

I agree with him Leon. He should be a part of a different board.

Wite3 09-15-2013 08:16 AM

I wonder if "Mark" has the same email address as Ken Krause.

Leon 09-15-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wite3 (Post 1184962)
I wonder if "Mark" has the same email address as Ken Krause.

His email message had the last name of Spxxxx, and the first part of his email address is

visitingteam62@xxxxxxxx

barrysloate 09-15-2013 08:26 AM

I think the guy is a troll. There wasn't one thing in his email that made any sense.

conor912 09-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1184970)
I think the guy is a troll. There wasn't one thing in his email that made any sense.

Agreed. Something's not right there.

z28jd 09-15-2013 09:20 AM

Let us assume for a second that the email is real. It is definitely a bullet dodged by the board, because if he thinks that card is real, is that really someone you would want on the board, possibly using the BST? Looks like this thread did some good for the community...that was of course going under the scenario that the email was legit. Carry on.

BTW, I asked Krause politely to provide scans of the Honus Wagner card they were auctioning off for $300,000 because all I saw on the listing was a $2 reprint and there was no way I'd bid without seeing the real card first. I got no answer, so I'm not doing any bidding with them ever if that is the kind of customer service they provide.

Leon 09-15-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1184993)
Let us assume for a second that the email is real. It is definitely a bullet dodged by the board, because if he thinks that card is real, is that really someone you would want on the board, possibly using the BST? Looks like this thread did some good for the community...that was of course going under the scenario that the email was legit. Carry on.

I think the email was legit but only with about 75% chance. I think there is a good chance it wasn't. I only posted what I received.