Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2019 Net 54 Card Set Post #4 - Card front layouts! Share your opinions! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264194)

Golfcollector 01-05-2019 09:35 PM

2019 Net 54 Card Set Post #4 - Card front layouts! Share your opinions!

Thanks to all that have voted in the prior polls and who have left comments.

To recap to date, we have a Tobacco Card sized set of 54 subjects. Based on the close results of the last poll, the card reverses will feature statistics and a small write up AND a small area of advertising. It seems like the general design of the T205 Card backs gathered the most interest and this actually combines the two leading vote getters. So we will have stat/write up backs with a few varieties of advertising on the back.

Next up – the design of the card fronts! No poll question this time around just please share your opinions and choices for card front design in remarks.

Golfcollector 01-05-2019 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since this has been my New Year message board project.....I'll kick off a couple of ideas to get this rolling.

I like black and white pictures for the front of cards and I think it allows for a lot of possibilities with card design and player selection. So….I am providing a couple of examples from some British golf sets for the front of card format designs.

The first example would have a place for some additional wording on the front and the players name could be on the bottom

Attachment 339734

The second style is even a bit cleaner and would just have the players name at the bottom of the card

Attachment 339723

What ideas do you have?

Golfcollector 01-07-2019 06:33 AM

Bump for the Monday morning work crowd. Comments are appreciated

Leon 01-07-2019 07:25 AM

I would vote to go with the additional info on front to keep it interesting...

Golfcollector 01-07-2019 08:05 AM

Leon, can you be more specific? Are you thinking team name and player name, or do you have some sort of design that was already made that you would emulate?

Leon 01-07-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfcollector (Post 1843239)
Leon, can you be more specific? Are you thinking team name and player name, or do you have some sort of design that was already made that you would emulate?

No, I was just commenting that having words at the bottom of the front and the top looked better than one or the other. If I had to pick a design to emulate it might be T205.

frankbmd 01-07-2019 09:06 AM

Statistics, Team & Position

How are these defined for the purpose of the cards?

Statistics will be post counts, posts per day, Monster Number :D & years on the forum, I presume?

Is everyone on the Net54 team wearing a Net54 t-shirt?
Or will there be a card team, a memorabilia team and an autograph team?

Positions are a bit more problematic, but there are possibilities

Rookie of the Year
Flipper
Centrist
Caramelist
Krakenator
Prosecutor
Card Doctor
Forger in Chief
Bench Coach
Mental Consultant
Gumshoe
Advocate (for any number of topics)
Curmudgeon
Utility Poster
Pensive Refractor
Jester A(nd) Author

Golfcollector 01-07-2019 09:42 AM

Frank, my initial thoughts in my first post on this were to be designing a set of cards using actual athletes not members of the Net 54 board.

But, if we are creating our own set, I guess we can do whatever, Sounds like it is time for another poll :D

ullmandds 01-07-2019 09:49 AM

i also assumed you meant cards of actual members...perhaps I misunderstood? Seeing as this is a baseball set...I think a baseball set(not golf...sorry!) should be used as a template!

Golfcollector 01-07-2019 09:54 AM

Pete, thanks for the input!

I used these two examples and a template for something new and different in terms of a card design style on the fronts and I am familiar with these styles - - I have collected more than my share of golf cards in the past. I figured if I was designing a new card set, I would try and throw out an idea or design that had not been used on another baseball card set, hence why I used these two examples.

Leon mentioned T205 fronts as a possibility.

What would you like to see used if you were choosing a front design?

frankbmd 01-07-2019 09:59 AM

I think Pete agrees with me. If I get a Gem Mint Sloate, I will trade it for a Luckey in any condition, as his Gem Mint pop is zero.

frankbmd 01-07-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1843273)
I think Pete agrees with me. If I get a Gem Mint Sloate, I will trade it for a Luckey in any condition, as his Gem Mint pop is zero.

Furthermore cards could be distributed in packs of five, and a Net54 section could be added to BST.;)

Golfcollector 01-07-2019 10:03 AM

wouldn't that be fun, Maybe Net 54 Caramel cards with 3 to 5 cards in a pack and a hunk of caramel.

AND - a separate BST section....

Now THAT would be fun!

ullmandds 01-07-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfcollector (Post 1843272)
Pete, thanks for the input!

I used these two examples and a template for something new and different in terms of a card design style on the fronts and I am familiar with these styles - - I have collected more than my share of golf cards in the past. I figured if I was designing a new card set, I would try and throw out an idea or design that had not been used on another baseball card set, hence why I used these two examples.

Leon mentioned T205 fronts as a possibility.

What would you like to see used if you were choosing a front design?

Well...it seems that someone versed in graphic design or atleast a good photoshopper(and I'm neither)will be cutting and pasting heads on bodies, etc for such a set. So in this regard...maybe using an existing set that already does this may be a good idea...like the 19th c cards of presidental candidates with their heads pasted on female bodies or the 38 goudeys.

I realize the consensus decided T/E/D size is desired...and I agree...just thinking about the creation aspect. And personally I like Obak backs better than t205 as the brand is more prominent than t205 while still having some room for stats.