Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have you ever won the wrong card? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236779)

mechanicalman 03-13-2017 09:50 AM

Have you ever won the wrong card?

In last night's PWCC auction, I had been watching a nice T206 Sam Crawford Bat PSA 4 with the intention of bidding strong on it. Well, Sunday afternoon arrives and I pull up my snipe program, set my snipe, and forget it. A couple hours later, I received an email that I had won the card. Awesome.

However, in my watch list, the card I coveted still read as 2hrs to go. Turns out I set my snipe to the wrong Crawford (same grade, but this one an OLD MILL). Realizing this, I went and bid on the targeted Crawford, and now I have inadvertently started a Crawford back run, though I have no intent to extend it.)

Has anyone ever done this before, or will this thread be buried my dinner time?

Rich Falvo 03-13-2017 10:10 AM

Yes, but luckily it was just a common. I accidentally bid on a T206 John Anderson Polar Bear that I didn't need. On a related note, if anyone needs a John Anderson Polar Bear BVG 1.5, I'm your man...

keating3620 03-13-2017 10:42 AM

on a related note, over the years I have bought a couple of cards that I already had. my spreadsheet was not updated when I was bidding.

If you haven't done it yet just keep buying cards, eventually it will be your turn.

:)

packs 03-13-2017 10:56 AM

Back when the internet was still new I used to have my dad run searches for me from his computer at work. We still hadn't gotten the internet hooked up at home yet. I was big into HOFers back then. One day he called me up and told me there was a Clarke T206 for sale for only $50. I told him it was a steal and to place a bid for me.

Fast forward a week or so later and I was the proud owner of Joshua Clark's T206, not HOFer Fred Clarke of Pittsburgh. I still have it though as a reminder.

Yoda 03-13-2017 11:06 AM

Yes, but only in the wee morning hours during extended bidding when I might have been on the wrong side of a six pack of Moosehead. More likely, paying more than I wanted to for a card in a fit of "irrational exuberance".

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-13-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keating3620 (Post 1640648)
on a related note, over the years I have bought a couple of cards that I already had. my spreadsheet was not updated when I was bidding.

If you haven't done it yet just keep buying cards, eventually it will be your turn.

I did the same thing last month despite pretty good record keeping!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

z28jd 03-13-2017 11:20 AM

I started a 1956 Topps set and planned to work on it slowly. It is stalled for now, but I still have a 1955 Jackie Robinson I bought for the set.

I also once bought two Early Wynn 56 Topps at the same time and didn't even notice until I left a card show. I went through a huge stack and bought about 12 cards from some guy and Wynn was the top card and bottom card in the stack. I guess it took me so long to go through the cards that by the time I got to the second Wynn, I forgot the first one :)

scooter729 03-13-2017 11:47 AM

Other end of the spectrum - I just recently noticed I shipped off the wrong card.

I had sold on eBay a cheap raw common for like $3 probably a year or two ago. When I recently noticed I still had the card, I looked around and realized I had shipped the guy a much rarer $75 variation of the card. Argh!

Hopefully I at least got some stellar feedback from the lucky buyer!

irv 03-13-2017 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keating3620 (Post 1640648)

Now I don't feel so bad!

I did this last year with my frenzied bidding/buying and ended up picking up 2 Billy Johnson cards, both slabbed.

Needless to say, one is currently for sale. :o

bnorth 03-13-2017 05:32 PM

Way more than once.:D

Last time was a couple years ago when I was looking for a Roger Clemens Blue Streak error. Saw a buy it now that was just listed with 18 1986 Topps Clemens cards listed and there was a Blue Streak error in the lot. Cheap price so I hit the buy it now so no one else could buy it before me.LOL

Then when I read the description the seller clearly stated the Blue Streak error was not included and listed separately:( Anybody need some 86 Topps Clemens cards?

mybuddyinc 03-13-2017 05:41 PM

Bought Dunn / Balt. twice, then realized I needed Brk. :o

....... or it might have been the other way around :p

KingFisk 03-13-2017 06:09 PM

Accidentally bid on 1975 minis a few times rather than the full size counterpart. Thought I got a tremendous deal on a PSA 9 Carter only to realize the error moments later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

familytoad 03-13-2017 09:00 PM

Wahoo Sam

Yes, I have done this.
I have done it more than once in the Topps era quest.
Yes I might do it again.

Funny one of the more extreme cases was involving the same player as yours.
I bought a 1915 CJ Sam Crawford, slabbed by SGC (my preference TPG)
This was after checking my spreadsheet and seeing that I needed it...
It was a nice card, and fairly expensive for my modest budget.

Later I find that my spreadsheet didn't account for the small stack of PSA cards I had , and yep...I already had Wahoo Sam in 1915 PSA. :rolleyes:

Getting old has its advantages too, (not just disadvantages) since I found a few other cards that I forgot I had that same day...it was like Christmas in July!:p

yanks4 03-14-2017 02:13 PM

We have all done similar things ...that's what the BST is for..... LOL

Section103 03-14-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1640653)
Back when the internet was still new I used to have my dad run searches for me from his computer at work. We still hadn't gotten the internet hooked up at home yet. I was big into HOFers back then. One day he called me up and told me there was a Clarke T206 for sale for only $50. I told him it was a steal and to place a bid for me.

Fast forward a week or so later and I was the proud owner of Joshua Clark's T206, not HOFer Fred Clarke of Pittsburgh. I still have it though as a reminder.

Just imagine the deal you could get on a Wagner!

Stonepony 03-14-2017 04:38 PM

I set a snipe for a card a couple years ago and a week later received some cheesey gemstone in the mail- I checked- sure enough I entered the wrong item number into the snipe software. I've learned to copy/ paste:)

mechanicalman 03-14-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1640886)
Yes, I have done this.

Getting old has its advantages too, (not just disadvantages) since I found a few other cards that I forgot I had that same day...it was like Christmas in July!:p

Funny, I'm ecstatic when I find a $5 bill in an old coat pocket. I can't imagine the jubilation of finding cards you forgot you had.

And what's with Wahoo Sam? I'm sure he's sick of being forgotten. He'd probably blame Cobb for these mix-ups.

mechanicalman 03-14-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1641196)
I set a snipe for a card a couple years ago and a week later received some cheesey gemstone in the mail- I checked- sure enough I entered the wrong item number into the snipe software. I've learned to copy/ paste:)

This story takes the cake! Was it gem mint? :eek:

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories of collecting blunders.

Leon 03-16-2017 09:50 PM

I remember when JC won a blue E221 of LA. He was super excited until I told him he already had that same card with the same color background. I think he had the market cornered on them for a time. As for me, for buying, I have so many stories it's not even funny. I know I have at least acquired several cards which I already had. That isn't ordinary?

ty_cobb 03-18-2017 06:36 PM

yes

yes , I won the T206 Kleinow catching NY ,, wrong team,,,lol

irv 03-18-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1641952)
I remember when JC won a blue E221 of LA. He was super excited until I told him he already had that same card with the same color background. I think he had the market cornered on them for a time. As for me, for buying, I have so many stories it's not even funny. I know I have at least acquired several cards which I already had. That isn't ordinary?

Now that I know I'm not the only one and am no longer embarrassed to admit I did that, it for sure is ordinary. :D