Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Andrew Toles on the Dodgers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228523)

1952boyntoncollector 09-12-2016 11:20 PM

Andrew Toles on the Dodgers

This guy is as good as Sterling Marte and probably better. Amazing the depth the Dodgers have.

Is it just me that feels this guy would be a top 20 NL only drafted player. All he does is hit and play good defense and he barely sees the field..

bravos4evr 09-13-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1584419)
This guy is as good as Sterling Marte and probably better. Amazing the depth the Dodgers have.

Is it just me that feels this guy would be a top 20 NL only drafted player. All he does is hit and play good defense and he barely sees the field..

84 plate appearances is not enough to start comparing guys to established major league stars. Let's see how he does during the grind of a full season. The history of baseball is riddled with guys who looked lights out with their first cup of coffee only to be out of the game 3 years later. (and the reverse, Trout wasn't exactly dynamite during his first MLB exposure)

He's had a hot start tho, no argument with that!

1952boyntoncollector 09-13-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1584575)
84 plate appearances is not enough to start comparing guys to established major league stars. Let's see how he does during the grind of a full season. The history of baseball is riddled with guys who looked lights out with their first cup of coffee only to be out of the game 3 years later. (and the reverse, Trout wasn't exactly dynamite during his first MLB exposure)

He's had a hot start tho, no argument with that!

Understood but if i brought this up next year etc, people would say 'east to say that now'...

bravos4evr 09-13-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1584588)
Understood but if i brought this up next year etc, people would say 'east to say that now'...

it's cool to be excited about young players (hell that's half the fun of being a fan!) But, I prefer to see a guy get 1000 PA's or so before being confident on what his true talent level is gonna be.

1952boyntoncollector 09-13-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1584601)
it's cool to be excited about young players (hell that's half the fun of being a fan!) But, I prefer to see a guy get 1000 PA's or so before being confident on what his true talent level is gonna be.

if they let him play that would be a start. take a look who they are starting tonight 9/13/15 (edited the next day to add- they ended up scoring ZERO runs) the Seg Man and E. Hernandez. Toles also hit a clutch homer in the 9th not that long ago.

the 'stache 09-17-2016 02:31 PM

First, it's Starling Marte.

Second, I'm going to withhold my excitement until the guy has a little more playing time under his belt. Much too soon to declare he could be a top 20 pick in an NL only league. Lots of good players who have proven themselves that I would take before him.

1952boyntoncollector 09-17-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1585873)
First, it's Starling Marte.

Second, I'm going to withhold my excitement until the guy has a little more playing time under his belt. Much too soon to declare he could be a top 20 pick in an NL only league. Lots of good players who have proven themselves that I would take before him.

Marte i liked a ton in 2015 and he did become a top 20 pick in NL only this year...

in NL only leagues. Marte is a huge pickup..noone would say 'only marte' in an NL only fantasy standard league...even next year hes at least a top 30 player for drafts

i not saying we are talking about a hall of famer....but Marte is a top 20 NL player and i just see Toles heading that way if he gets a chance to play

I not saying i would draft Toles next year top 20, i just saying after next year, Toles will be a top 20 NL player assuming he sees the field.

1952boyntoncollector 09-18-2016 02:33 PM

again toles not starting today, yeah its against a lefty but c'mon Cublerson and S Man arent the answer for them.

1952boyntoncollector 09-19-2016 09:22 AM

another loss for the dodgers when toles doesnt start..

packs 09-19-2016 11:32 AM

Toles is having a good season but he has a history of personal problems and lengthy suspensions going all the way back to college. I'm assuming that's why the Dodgers are being so touch and go with him. They already have one Puig.

chaddurbin 09-19-2016 12:17 PM

God I've tried to stay out of this troll thread. NO ONE in LA is clamoring for more Andrew toles....it's laughable that someone is hitching their wagon to this guy because they don't want to miss out on the next great player.

Reason he's not playing because he has horrible splits... If you ops less than. 700 in the minors against lefties than you're pretty much Scott Van style on the team. Friedman/Roberts do a great job of putting these guys in situations where they will most likely succeed... There's a reason Howie Kendricks a career infielder is playing left field against lefties over guys like toles

1952boyntoncollector 09-20-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1586451)
God I've tried to stay out of this troll thread. NO ONE in LA is clamoring for more Andrew toles....it's laughable that someone is hitching their wagon to this guy because they don't want to miss out on the next great player.

Reason he's not playing because he has horrible splits... If you ops less than. 700 in the minors against lefties than you're pretty much Scott Van style on the team. Friedman/Roberts do a great job of putting these guys in situations where they will most likely succeed... There's a reason Howie Kendricks a career infielder is playing left field against lefties over guys like toles

Huge hit yesterday 9/19/16 in 9th inning v the Giants...against a lefty...in dodgers 2-1 win as he pinch hit for E. hernandez (who is hitting .200 on the year), not sure he isnt starting over Herndandez

Kendrick is making how many millions this year? toles is making 500k.. lets start with that reason..

Hes 3 for 9 with a homer against leftys in the majors....i just wondering why they dont give him a chance..thats all

chaddurbin 09-20-2016 10:58 AM

Again, seager a super stud hits against lefties. Andrew toles will not be hitting against lefties in the near future... Which included last night.

When you keep talking out of ur ass misspelling names and getting simple facts wrong people not gonna take you seriously.

1952boyntoncollector 09-20-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1586751)
Again, seager a super stud hits against lefties. Andrew toles will not be hitting against lefties in the near future... Which included last night.

When you keep talking out of ur ass misspelling names and getting simple facts wrong people not gonna take you seriously.

Toles also does not usually start against righties. Never said he was going to be Corey Seager (who is a first rounder in NL drafts) but i think hes better than E. Hernandez and the Seg man etc..

You can be a rich player and not hit leftys great. Tracye Thompson was getting regular at bats versus left handers before he got hurt (early on he was platooned but later he was clearly starting everyday) and got 64 at bats and hit .219 with 3 homers and almost struck out a third of the time. So its not like you have to be great for the dodgers against leftys to start.

. What simple facts did i get wrong? Lets just wait until next year and revisit. No reason to make up stuff now.

bravos4evr 09-20-2016 03:42 PM

Unsustainable BABIP of .426 is driving much of his slash line,when it regresses toward the mean you can expect his number to drop from .349/.402/.578 to around .270/.330/.480 which is still good, but when you consider his career minor league splits against lefties aren't too good and his scouting FV (future value) grade of 40..... well let's just say plenty of guy have had hot starts in a limited sample size only to become mediocre later on .

1952boyntoncollector 04-30-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1584419)

I would guess for the next 70 games or so Toles would be picked ahead of Marte 100% of the time!

1952boyntoncollector 06-27-2020 07:45 AM

man mental disease really is bad

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dodgers...205421268.html

This guy was real close in winning an everyday job , was great in postseason and would of shown he could hit lefties... he got injured one year that derailed him..now this..

Snapolit1 06-28-2020 08:29 AM

Sad. Mental illness hard to treat, need good doctors, and have to be open to get help.
I had a good friend who lived in the streets for years. Guy was brilliant. Everytime
I tried to discuss it with him he explained how it was a blast and how I was completely misreading the situation and it wasn’t dire and how he had no problems. Nearly impossible to deal with.

QUOTE=1952boyntoncollector;1994062]https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dodgers...205421268.html

This guy was real close in winning an everyday job , was great in postseason and would of shown he could hit lefties... he got injured one year that derailed him..now this..[/QUOTE]