Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SGC holder tamper?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268813)

VintageVinnie 05-09-2019 10:49 AM

SGC holder tamper??

8 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I recently made a purchase of a very nice signed 76 Topps Hank Aaron. Love the card, but not thrilled with the holder. There is what I believe to be "frosting" on the edges and there is a noticeable "fog" from the inside out. I took some pics, some post as upside down for some reason..but you get the idea. Should I be concerned?? Your opinions on the holder would be appreciated. Thanks!!

lowpopper 05-09-2019 11:54 AM

Looks pretty normal. They come like that direct from SGC sometimes

VintageVinnie 05-09-2019 05:11 PM

Thank you for the reply. I guess my biggest concern was not only the frosting, but the fog from INSIDE the case. That tells me air has gotten in there, right? ..or am I totally paranoid?:eek:

bobbyw8469 05-09-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintageVinnie (Post 1876365)
Thank you for the reply. I guess my biggest concern was not only the frosting, but the fog from INSIDE the case. That tells me air has gotten in there, right? ..or am I totally paranoid?:eek:

I have had some cases like that as well from SGC. It doesn't bother me. I just equate it to a bad batch of slabs.

AGuinness 05-09-2019 08:38 PM

Looks pretty normal to me. Might consider getting it re-slabbed with the new flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCRfan1 05-09-2019 10:28 PM

Great card and signature!!!!

VintageVinnie 05-10-2019 05:17 AM

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm feeling better. I spoke to SGC and they will reholder as long as there is no tampering. Seller also said he would refund if SGC says the case has been messed with. So either way, I'll be ok. I will keep you updated.. Thanks!

AGuinness 05-10-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintageVinnie (Post 1876457)
Thank you for all of the responses. I'm feeling better. I spoke to SGC and they will reholder as long as there is no tampering. Seller also said he would refund if SGC says the case has been messed with. So either way, I'll be ok. I will keep you updated.. Thanks!

Good stuff. I think that card will pop with the new flip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchcollins 05-13-2019 08:20 AM

In my experience, the frosting on the face of the slab over the card is not normal, but that little bit on the edges where the seal comes together is very normal. All of my SGC slabs have some extent of that type of frosting, even with the new flips. Good luck if you decide to get it reholdered. I'd just bust it out and keep the raw card.

VintageVinnie 05-13-2019 06:12 PM

Thank you all very much. I was probably overreacting when I saw the frosted edges. Having said that, it was really that fog on the case I hated most. I love the new SGC slabs, so I mailed it in today for a reholder. As soon as it comes back, I'll post pics. It will make for a nice display piece!