Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What do you do with 1985 to 1992 cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184575)

jasonc 03-09-2014 12:29 PM

What do you do with 1985 to 1992 cards?

I know there are a lot of high end collectors here, but anybody else but me actually keep their 30000 junk era 1985-1993 cards along with their vintage lol

I have a decent amount of 1950's, 1960's vintage and a handful of T206's but also have the junk.
Never really see it mentioned on here. I am actually wondering whether to just trim down the collection by throwing out the score, donruss, fleer etc. from 1989 to 1992 and my topps dupes and just keeping my run of complete sets. I always wondered if the space these cards are taking up is worth more than the cards.

Maybe there are people here that have already done that.

The memories of these cards have some value as I grew up in this era, but how many 1990 Donruss, 1991 and 1992 score do I need. Or should I just keep the Bonds, Ripkens, Maddux etc.

RobertGT 03-09-2014 12:38 PM

I don't include 1985 in this, but I save cards from 1986-1998 or so after purchasing collections and then sell them in bulk deals for $7 per 5,000 cards. I usually don't bother until I have at least 100K ready to go. If you only have 5 - 10K cards or so just donate or give it to kids or something.

That is the going rate for the junk years these days. Football is slightly higher.

bnorth 03-09-2014 01:40 PM

Last fall I gave several 1000 junk era cards to a friend that teaches at a Hutterite Colony to give to the kids.

Even though they are not worth much I go through them first and pull all the error cards because error cards is what I mainly collect.

Jasonc if you have any 89 Fleer I am looking for #81 Wade Boggs without the Dot after Throws Right on the back of the card.

brewing 03-09-2014 01:49 PM

I have done my part to decrease the supply by throwing about 15,000 in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grainsley 03-09-2014 03:21 PM

We were faced with downsizing possessions when we moved about five years ago. I tried the Children's Hospital, too much maintenance for them picking them up after the kids finished playing with them, but they appreciated the thought. So everything (or almost) post-1980 hit the recycling bin, and has most likely been used as toilet paper or similar. Fitting, for the most part.

62corvette 03-09-2014 04:07 PM

Propane is in short supply here in the upper Midwest!:)

ALR-bishop 03-09-2014 04:59 PM

Sets

I have my 1985-92 Topps sets, traded sets and any insert or tests sets for those years in binders, just like all of my older sets. Same for Fleer, but no insert or test sets from that period. Gave away any extras

t206blogcom 03-09-2014 05:32 PM

Junk wax

I too have a ton of cards from this time period given I was a kid and a huge collector. My cards from when I was a kid, which have been well loved, remain in the few large boxes. If I end up having kids, especially a boy, I plan on passing this down to him to 'play' with when he's old enough.

A few years ago I went on an 80s/90s junk wax box buying spree to relive some pack opening moments. I kept the cards I wanted, but with the leftovers, I either donated them or threw them away.

I do occasionally use a small stack of cards as 'cardboard' when mailing out a card if I don't have any regular cardboard on hand.

I've also given some away to kids.

jasonc 03-09-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1251948)
I have my 1985-92 Topps sets, traded sets and any insert or tests sets for those years in binders, just like all of my older sets. Same for Fleer, but no insert or test sets from that period. Gave away any extras

Actually I have these topps sets from these years in boxes, I find the pages and binders are worth more than the cards lol. But from a collector point of view, it's nice to flip through the pages and look at all the cards, especially if they're in numbered order and you have all the sets regardless of whether it's from the overproduction years or a vintage set.

ALR-bishop 03-09-2014 09:05 PM

Hobby

That's me, a collector, not an investor....at least not in cards

cdn_collector 03-10-2014 05:08 AM

Five or so years ago, I cleared out about fifty thousand cards (mostly post-1980, but really a bit of everything, with a smattering of pre-1970). I just took it to a local card shop and gave it to him. In exchange for him taking if off my hands, I only removed the Blue Jays cards (except from complete sets) and figured that way he could pick though and make a bit of money in exchange for taking it off of my hands.

More recently, I've started to piece together some Blue Jays team sets from that era and could actually be using a good amount of that stuff as trade-bait.

Obviously in my case I knew there was a chance I'd get back into collecting something modern. If there's even a slight chance you might do that, and you have the space, I'd say just keep 'em in storage. If they gotta go, though, I may be interested in the Jays cards!

Cheers,

Richard.

bn2cardz 03-10-2014 07:17 AM

I have recently taken all the boxes from my parent's home (they were nice enough to let me keep them there when I moved out and got married). My 3 year old daughter automatically assumed that they were all hers. I have been going through the boxes and trying to organize by teams. If I find an error card I sort it out for myself and if I find a card that is in less than NM condition I make a stack for my 3 year old. She has enjoyed playing with the cards (and sharing with her siblings).

After the recent post about COMC, though, I have been thinking of sending all the inserts their way.

Beatles Guy 03-10-2014 12:08 PM

If you're in the giving mood, try this site.

http://commons4kids.org/

D.P.Johnson 03-10-2014 12:34 PM

I took a couple thousand 80's and gave them to a local thrift store this weekend. I started sorting through them and then gave up. Everything was in there: Ripken, Maddux, Thomas, Griffey, Boggs, Schmidt, Ryan, etc...I couldn't fathom throwing them away, but I didn't want to mess with them...It was a time vs. money sorta thing...

brookdodger55 03-10-2014 12:45 PM

Check out Nate Adams Npa 589 on the board, he takes donation for his students in Florida. I donated to him, great guy
Mike

CW 03-10-2014 12:56 PM

Most of you have probably seen this already, but this guy actually cuts the cards up into pieces and creates amazing works of art.

darkhorse9 03-10-2014 01:04 PM

I bundle all of my current "junk" into 100 card stacks (including stars, inserts etc) and take them to the local children's hospital or the local family shelter.

There are tons of kids there who like sports and would like nothing more than getting a Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky or Shaq or Barry Bonds or Joe Montana card.

I hope they reach a kid who gets excited about the hobby and my little stack helps some kid get back on his feet and become a collector.

Rich Klein 03-10-2014 07:40 PM

We just ran our 1st kid friendly show

And plan to do more -- as a non-profit, we gave away 2 huges boxes of cards and anyone who wishes to donate cards for a tax receipt sheet. we'll take em.

Rich

Show was at my synagogue Adat Chaveriim in Plano on 3.9

Rich